Sunday 3 July 2011

Stanley - digital timer, timers


WHOA! The Stanley 31206 TimerMax unit is packaged incorrectly. I confirmed this during a call to the customer service assistant. It does NOT have a "vacation mode" nor does it have a "manual override button" as advertised on the package and on Amazon.



This is what the timer DOES do:



- Allows the current time to be set in AM or PM hours and minutes

- Allows the time to be set in AM or PM hours and minutes when the timer outlet will turn ON

- Allows the time to be set in AM or PM hours and minutes when the timer outlet will turn OFF

- Repeats this program every 24 hours

- Battery backup (two LR44 Alkaline Button Cells included). Open the little battery drawer and pull out an insulator tab to activate.

- LCD screen with No back lighting. Displays the current time and displays the programmed ON and OFF times when the ON and OFF buttons are pressed respectively. Program can be set before plugging the timer into the outlet.

- The timer and its outlet are two-pronged polarized

- It is rated 120VAC/60Hz/5A/600W Tungsten & Resistive (Incandescent & Appliance); if the label on the timer can be believed

- When the timer turns the outlet OFF, the outlet is completely disconnected from power (see Wikipedia note below)



Not bad for a device that costs less than $8 (IMO). I would recommend it if there is no need for a vacation mode or there is no need to override the program to manually turn a device on and off.



My intention is to use the timer with a compact fluorescent lamp. Wikipedia includes the following interesting note: "Electronic (but not mechanical) timers can interfere with the electronic ballast in CFLs and can shorten their lifespan. Some timers rely on a connection to neutral through the bulb and so pass a tiny current through the bulb, charging the capacitors in the electronic ballast. They may not work with a CFL connected, unless an incandescent bulb is also connected. They may also cause the CFL to flash when off." With a lamp plugged into the timer and the timer set such that the bulb was Not lit, I removed the bulb and checked for voltage. The meter read zero. Then I checked with an ohm meter and there was no continuity. I put a non-dimmable CFL into the lamp and set the timer to turn it on and off. It worked fine. And even though I'm sure there is an incandescent bulb somewhere in the circuit, they/it are not switched on. Also, the CFL did not flash when the timer had the lamp off (as expected since there is no continuity).



The instructions that come in the package are not completely correct. While there is no reference to a "vacation mode", the instructions do refer to a non-existent "top switch" for a non-existent "Always On Mode". The instructions also state: "Be sure to charge the battery as noted above." Well, there is no "note above", and the included two LR44 Alkaline Button Cells are not rechargeable.



Also, the packaging includes the following warning: "PROP 65 WARNING: This product contains chemicals, including lead, known to the state of California to cause cancer, birth defects, and other reproductive harm. Wash hands after handling."



Hope this gives you enough info to decide if you want to purchase. Stanley 31206 TimerMax Indoor Digital Lamp Timer, White

Just got them. Very simple to program and gave them a test run at which they succeeded brilliantly. Bought them so when we go on the road we can have lights on and off in the house. I guess all this paranoia is finally taking its toll but like they say (who? I am not exactly sure) is better to be safe than sorry. I refrained from giving them a 5 because time will tell how well they perform and most important, how long they last before they work no more. Many products start at full speed but I noticed not all keep up the good work. For now, though, Stanley 31206 TimerMax Indoor Digital Lamp Timer, White are just what the doctor ordered! 4 Stars!

I got it almost six months ago and it has turned on and off my fish light every day. I am getting another one for my heater for my crabs since it only gets cold at night. A six year old could program it themselves without directions. It's extremely easy. I love it!

I bought 6 of these timers to run LED Christmas after my X10 timers failed to turn the LEDs off. These were very low cost. I didn't expect them to be so great. They have battery backup. They were easy to set. Performed very well. And the work properly with LED lighting. This was a great buy

Stanley might be a well-known company, but this product is sub-standard. No vacation mode, although the package advertises it - an incredible oversight. Also, when you press the manual over-ride buttons (there is not one button, but you have to press two simultaneously) the device does over-ride, BUT it does not revert back to the programmed on/off schedule once you delete the over-ride. You have to re-program it each time. Lame, and I would not recommend this to anyone.

I am so disappointed with this product. The name 'Stanley' has always meant quality to me, but now.... Yes it was easy to set up; yes it worked ...for a week. I decided to change the batteries. Removing them took some time. Once I bought new batteries ( and I put them in every which way I could figure) the timer still didn't work. So, no I wouldn't recommend this product to anyone. - Timer - Timers - Lamp Timer - Digital Timer'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Stanley - digital timer, timers digital timer Stanley - digital timer, timers