Sunday 3 July 2011

Media Player - hd pvr, high definition


For the price paid (less than $75), it's not half bad. I connected it to my LAN and HDTV, configured for DHCP, and was easily able to detect my Ubuntu Linux based Mediatomb server.



When I attempted playback of various media, I wasn't able to get sound over HDMI. I then tried component video (YPbPr) successfully. I went back to HDMI, lowered the bit rate for the sound, and had it up and running fine (including 720p .MKV playback).



From time-to-time the screen goes blank when you've been wandering around in the menus for too long and as of now, I have not been able to make use of the USB port (always reads folder empty no matter what's connected). I have a trouble ticket in with Hauppauge, will update with results.



Pros:

Low price

Played every video format I threw at it

1080p HDMI Output

Decent WAF (Wife Approval Factor)

Instinctive remote control (could be better)

Intuitive on-screen menus

Easy network setup

Automatic video setup built into the software



Cons:

Unit itself could look better

OSD needs polishing: speed, smoothness, fonts are big & blocky (can't really complain for the price)

Has to reboot after some setting changes

Screen goes blank every now and again while in the menu system

No automatic audio setup





Conclusion:

Setup could have gone more smoothly. For the problem I had with sound over HDMI, there was nothing in the manual, on the website, or in any of the forums that gave me any insight on this problem. I literally stumbled onto the fix. The problem was likely due to the limitations of my HDTV, but the average consumer might not catch that. Although it's not important to my intended application, I'm still waiting on an answer for my USB port issue. All-in-all, for what I purchased it for, (multi-format Upnp/DLNA player w/ HDMI output) it's not horrible when you take into consideration that other comparable consumer products cost anywhere from $30 to $125 more and a custom-built PC with an HDMI output could cost upwards of $400 to $500 at a minimum.





Update (12/20/2010):

I've not heard anything beyond the initial response (addressing my already resolved audio over HDMI issue) from Hauppauge support. I've also discovered that the MediaMVP-HD cannot play OGM video. The format is summarily ignored by the media browser (as in doesn't even show up as unknown). Although it's not advertised as one of the supported formats, I'm still disappointed. As for .MKV playback, if you have an MKV video with multiple audio tracks, there's no way to switch betewwn the two tracks. I also contacted Hauppauge about this and have gotten no answer. Prehaps I'll have better luck after the holidays.



Update (03/30/2011):

Still no response from Hauppauge, I've moved on to using a PC with XBMC Live installed. The MediaMVP will still serve as a spare in my workshop, but isn't quite smooth and polished enough (software-wise) for my living room system. Eye candy is important. Hauppauge 1340 MediaMVP-HD Digital Media Player

I've had a Hauppage HD PVR for about a year now, and I've been recording my HD TV programs (I have a library of TrueBlood, Lost and Heroes) from my Fios box and burning them onto a CD for playback on my Blu-ray player in my living room. But I've wanted to just simply play the recordings back to my HD TV in the living room instead of going through the "record/burn" steps.

So I picked up one of the MediaMVP-HD's. It basically did just what I wanted.

I hooked up the MVP up to my HD TV set in the living room (I used HDMI to connect to my Samsung "B" series LCD TV). I have an ethernet connection in my living room, so the connection for me was pretty simple. I then scanned my network and found both my PC where the HD PVR is connected and also my laptop computer. In about 5 minutes I was able to play the HD PVR recordings from my PC to the HD TV set.

I like the fast skip buttons (you hit 0 to 9 on the remote control to go to different spots in your recording) and I like being able to adjust the volume from the MVP remote control.

The video quality on my Samsung is incredible, I guess due to the HD PVR recordings but also (I assume) to the HDMI output on the MVP.

Wireless would be nice to have on the MVP, though I didn't need this on my TV set in the living room. I have another HD TV in the bedroom which does not have an ethernet cable, so I'd need wireless there.

Also, I liked the front panel USB port on the MVP, where I've been plugging in my digital pictures which I keep stored on my thumb drive.

In my opinion, if you have an HD PVR, you need to get a MVP so you can avoid burning blu-ray disks when you want to play your HD PVR recordings onto your HD TV set.

I bought this player based on the review and price. It took me a while to setup and got it working after a struggle. I have Gigabit network in my home. First the network cable was really loose and did not get connected then one of the cable with support connected to the network. Photo browsing did not work as a 4MB file took 15 minutes to load and the software froze. Only good thing was the video played well accessing the files from the network. It did not play .MKV files. The software indicated as "Beta" while trying to play .MKV files and did not have audio. I will not recommend this hardware. I returned this hardware in a week after trying everything possible. - Hd Pvr - High Definition - Dlna - Media Player'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information