Sunday 6 March 2011

Portable Audio


Have it.No problems,does have an audible thump when you turn it off. It does sound great though.Sat it side by side with the dewalt dc012 [with an ipod bugged in] This was better hands down and the compartment protecting the ipod is a good thing to have on a construction site. I would have bumped it up another star if it charged the batteries. Charger feature would probably jack the unit cost up significantly and people are very price sensitve in this economy. Very happy with this radio so far. Milwaukee 2790-20 12-Volt to 28-Volt Jobsite Radio

Just purchased this radio about a week ago. First i want to say this thing rocks. It has awsome sound. The mp3 port

on the inside is great. Love that it accepts so many previous Milwaukee batteries.I wish it would charge the batteries, but like previous models it does not. This radio is a huge improvement over previous model which i might add is built like a tank as well and still works! The handles on it are kind of awkward as they are on the outside edge so when you pick it up you are carrying diagonal, but no big deal. The eq on it only lets you raise and lower

the bass and trebble, so not really an eq. Awsome reception, im picking up pretty weak channels very clear. I would highly recommend this radio. If it would charge the batteries i would give it 5 stars.

I used this radio today at the small job shop factory where I work. Today's task was in an isolated area, so it was a perfect opportunity to test out my new Milwaukee radio's power with my iPod without bothering anyone (I listen to 1940's-1950's pop--Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole, Pied Pipers and all that; not everyone's cup of tea). Putting this up against the collective noise of a large Pines tube bender (bending 1-1/2" x 2" rectangular tube with 1/8" wall, so this thing is BIG), with two loud 3-phase motors running the hydraulics, a small CNC vertical milling center (Mori-Seiki MV-35, for the record), and an old 60+ year-old rattletrap of a Delta drill press, it performed brilliantly. At 1/2 volume on the radio (iPod itself cranked to full power), I was able to hear my tunes very clearly above the din, even from 15-20 feet away! The 40-watt amplifier is certainly no slouch! At 3/4 volume, still no distortion, and I could hardly bear the volume level, even amidst the other machinery. Nice compact design fits easily in the bottom compartment of my toolbox cabinet.



There is also a handy 12-volt automotive-type powerport on the back of the unit. I suppose it would have been nice to include some 3-prong 120V AC outlets on it, but I don't really miss them (I suppose that will be the next improvement Milwaukee makes on it). I also love the fact that it takes all my M-series Milwaukee batteries--it will run all day on a fully-charged M28 battery with juice to spare. The sealed MP3/iPod compartment is vital to keeping your tunesplayer clean, and it does so effectively. It comes off as an exceptional unit, and I would recommend it to anyone. I am even thinking of investing in another one so I can keep one unit at work and one at home--it's THAT good! Excellent for your garage or large workshop, also; the sound will carry clearly all over your area.



Want tunes in your classic car, but you don't want to trash its originality by installing a stereo CD player (especially if you have a 6-volt orphan car like me)? Set this unit in the back seat with a freshly-charged M28 battery installed. Get a 6-foot auxiliary cord, or one long enough to reach into the front seat from the back. Turn the volume up on the radio up to between half and 3/4 and set the mode to "AUX". Plug in your iPod or MP3 player. You need not latch the radio's top cover tight. You can control the volume, pause, mute, song selection, etc. from your player without having to fiddle with the radio's controls. Better than butchering your all-original classic car for a stereo system and every bit as good. (Just make sure you drive safely and stop the car before fiddling with your player--no different than texting while driving!!)



I'd like to take a moment to answer some of the negative claims made by other reviewers: I keep reading about complaints of a loud humming noise whether the unit is powered by either line cord or battery. MINE HAS NO SUCH ISSUE. These same reviewers bought theirs through Amazon.com. That may be the problem; I bought mine off the shelf at Home Depot (same price). It is conceiveable that Amazon simply got a bad batch of them. Make them aware of the issue so they can track the problem down to which distribution center, etc. I get excellent reception, both AM and FM, even on stations which are normally hard for me to receive. Some complain of a loud "pop" when powering up or down. There is a MILD static pop (more of a "poomp" sound) when I turn it off, but then, this is a 40-watt unit. Static powerdown pops on boomboxes with that kind of power are pretty much S.O.P. Unless yours is obnoxiously loud, I wouldn't consider it a defect. Again, no audible humming noise of any kind on AM, FM or AUX; tested it with the M12 XC, M18 XC and the M28 XC batteries and 120V AC line current. I also laid the unit on its back while playing it with each of these three batteries installed; no problems there, either. The M28 does fit a bit loose, but still no problems playing on its back unless you kick it or bump it hard, which WILL dislodge any battery in any unit. Sorry that you folks got such a bum deal; I absolutely LOVE mine. Try buying one off the store shelf and see if you get the same trouble.



No points lost for the lack of a charger; everyone I've talked to tells me that charger units raise havoc with radio reception when in use, and I know this from personal experience as well. BESIDES: DeWalt (or rather, parent Stanley Black & Decker) holds the patent on the radio/charger combo. Bosch apparently challenged this in court, lost, and now has to pay SB&D considerable royalties to have the only other radio/charger available; this is why the Bosch unit costs around $300, and also why they have it padded with lots of other bells and whistles, to justify the high price. This information can be verified all over the Internet if you doubt its authenticity.



ON THE DOWN SIDE: It is NOT light as boomboxes go; it's almost 20 inches long, and it is not something that you'd want to lug around by hand all over. Don't take it camping or travelling unless you intend to leave it in one place all day (like the backseat of your aforementioned classic car) and not move it around much. Its little brother, 2590-20, is better for camping. I am also disappointed with the elimination of the NOAA weather band, which its predecessor, Milwaukee's Rockford-Fosgate unit had (49-24-0280, now discontinued). I consider that a must-have, especially in tornado-prone areas. Still, even with all these considerations, I rate it 5 stars.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Portable Audio Portable Audio Portable Audio