Sunday 6 March 2011

Corded Telephones - corded phone, corded telephone


The MUTE button is actually a HOLD feature. There is no true MUTE button on this phone. When on a conference call, putting the call on MUTE means you mute the microphone and you mute the audio. That defeats the purpose of a normal MUTE feature.



Other than that, the phone works. AT&T Corded Speakerphone (CL2939)

I purchased this phone a few days ago. I bought this model because I NEEDED a backlit LCD display (my phone sits in a dim location). The Amazon product photo currently on the website CLEARLY SHOWS A BACKLIT LCD, with dark caller ID text being highlighted by a brightly glowing greenish background. THIS PHOTO IS HIGHLY MISLEADING. This phone absolutely does NOT have a backlit LCD, and CANNOT create the bright glowing background as displayed in the product shot. Indeed, the photo on the Amazon website has had to be intentionally manipulated in a photo editing software to fabricate that greenish glowing light effect, which the phone itself cannot create. (And, yes, I did install 4 fresh batteries to fully test the phone's capabilities.)



As I require the backlighting, this product's other merits, whatever those might have been, are going untested as I am returning this item (at Amazon's expense due to website misinformation) immediately. However, as Amazon requires me to give the product a star rating to post this review, I very reluctantly will give it 2 stars, and that poor rating only because of what has to be the intentional misrepresentation of this product by either AT&T and/or Amazon.



UPDATE 11/23/10: I note with interest that, sometime during the last few weeks, Amazon has posted a new photo of this product. The previous photo was, as I and others had noted, altered to give the appearance of a brightly glowing background on the LCD area, an absolute fabrication. This new photo, while it looks to me to still be altered similarly to enhance the appearance of the LCD screen beyond its true capability, is at least not quite as misleading as the old one.

This model seems to have the most features and good construction for the price. For the display functions to work you will need 4 AA batteries (not rechargeable) BUT the basic phone works without them in case of battery failure or electrical failure. And of course corded phones are still way more secure than cordless phones. Most people don't know this but cordless phones (I'm not talking cell phones which also are NOT secure) are not secure at all. They can be hacked into with about a $50 gadget and being with in the range of the signal. This is a major way of stealing identity by listening in and recording banking info, etc. Corded phones on the other hand require a physical tapping device &/or a Court order. Be aware and protect yourself appropriately.

For the price this is a very good quality phone overall. The sound quality on the speakerphone is excellent. I can stand 6 feet and more and still have a conversation. I bought this phone to work from home and my cord less Uniden 6.0 would drop me all the time and get a "out of range" error. So I need a hard line phone for work that is reliable and this is a great value and I looked for some time.

** The only thing I wish they would change is WHEN YOU MUTE the listeners will hear a click sound which may be an issue when on a work call as another reviewer pointed out but most people don't notice the click. Its not perfect but than again you are not paying over $100 either. I would buy another of these units!

**** UPDATE AFTER USING FOR A FEW WEEKS: I am still very satisfied and keep a 5 star rating for the money its earns a 5 star. Some things to consider 1) As another review mentioned the mute button makes a click sound your callers may hear 2) no back lights on the display 3) does not have ability to notify if you have voice mail - no display message or blinking light other than the new call displayed but than again at night you cant see the display very well. With all this its a solid unit overall!

I needed to find a new phone for a relative with dementia and difficulty with sight. This looked like it would work out well, and it did! Easy to hook up, the buttons are huge and easy to see, and if the handset is dropped, it is attached by the cord so it can be easily retrieved. The only issue I have is with the lighting on the caller ID monitor--VERY difficult to see it even without a vision problem--it should be much brighter. But the phone is still worth every cent of the price, and I would not hesitate to buy another one for someone else. The volume is great and easy to adjust, and it doesn't take up a ton of space--fits nicely on a nightstand with room for a lamp beside it. Out of the 10+ phones I have tried, this one works the best for my situation.

Does everything it's supposed to- 5 display settings, multiple settings for speaker phone, hand set and ringer volume. Over-average sized buttons. Speakerphone is loud enough both ways. My only tiny complaint is that volume sliding bars are on the right side instead of the top. Great deal for $20. - Big Button Phone - Corded Phone - Corded Telephone - Caller Id'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information