Tuesday 8 February 2011

Portable Cd Player - portable cd player, portable cd players


After searching the net for a day, this was the best CD player I could find. I bought the unit as a backup for my (still functioning well) Sony DNF-430, a unit I'm in love with but I am concerned that when it eventually dies (as we all must), there will no longer be a decent standard CD player at all.



This unit seems to be the successor to the 430. Several improvements have been made over the 430:

It uses 2 batteries instead of 1 for longer play between battery swaps

The controls are much better -- transport function controls that were twitchy on the 430 are larger and better laid out

The remote is easier to use, and the controls are laid out identically to those on the top of the player

It "remembers" where you left off playing a CD and starts from there after being stopped OR (new) even after the door has been opened

The display is much easier to read, especially from an angle

The case seems more solid

The price has been substantially reduced



On the downside vs 430:

Maximum volume not quite as loud as the 430, and very high or very low frequencies are not rendered quite as well

The weather, AM radio, and analog TV receivers have been dropped (doubt many used these functions)

The LCD readout of song titles and artists on regular CDs is gone

No ATRACS (Sony's old compression scheme that had no real advantage over MP3s)

The parametric equalizer is gone (really only useful with low quality headphones)

The body is noticably heavier and larger both in thickness and diameter

The transport buttons are much easier to accidentally press when carrying it about as a portable (use the "hold" button underneath to prevent this).

The remote connector has changed, so only the remote that comes with the unit may be used

Cheezy earbuds and a car cassette adaptor are no longer included



Like the DNF430, the transport mechanism is a bit noisy, although no louder than the sound leakage you would get with good open-air headphones (recommended). No AC power adaptor is included, but there is provision for plugging in separately purchased 4.5 volt AC or car DC adaptor. And opening the lid to change CDs is still a bit awkward. The anti-skip mechanism still works flawlessly.



The important thing, the reason for the five stars, is the sound quality. While sonically not quite up to the DNF430, you still can plug in a pair of good headphones like the Grado SR80 and you've got yourself a personal sound system that rivals a good home theater setup. Other reviewers have spoken of "muddy sound" and "hiss"; I can detect none such. The low distortion and high frequency range does reveal flaws in source material that are not evident when that material is played on a lesser unit. On the other hand, I have heard distinct background playing (eg., a trumpet way down in the mix of a Grateful Dead song, the sound of a pick against guitar strings) I'd never heard on lesser players. When playing big band or orchestra CDs, it individuates instruments so you hear each distinctly instead of a single smear of orchesteral sound. This all refers to standard CD's. I do not use the FM or MP3 features. If you care about good sound, you realize that MP3 compression degrades sound.



Bottom line: for car or personal listening of standard or burned CDs while not too active, this is a wonderful device. While the size, weight, and easily triggered controls make it less than ideal for physically active listening (I still listen to my hearty old Panasonic while working in the garden), it is still quite serviceable in that mode.



I think Sony made a lot of sensible design decisions here, and I hope they sell enough of these to make it worthwhile to keep manufacturing them. Sony D-NF340 CD Walkman & MP3 Player w/FM Tuner

I like to listen to books on disk while I clean, which means I'm moving around. This CD-player is great. I can move around freely without it interrupting the playback. This is a HUGE improvement over the CD-player I owned previously.



Additionally, the sound is good and the interface is intuitive. I am very happy with my purchase.

I purchased the Sony D-NF340 CD Walkman & MP3 Player w/FM Tuner to replace my ageing 11 year old Panasonic SL-S232C portable CD player. I would have purchased another Panasonic player however none was available. I did purchase a Phillips CD/MP3 player from a large national retail chain. I returned it because it skiped, shut off frequently (so much for anti-shock) and it had below average sound quality.



VOLUME: I almost didn't purchase the Sony D-NF340 because a few of the reviews I read stated that the player has little or very low volume. However, I own a number of other Sony products (LCD HD T-V, Blue Ray, Camcorders etc.)and all of them are of the finest quality. So I took a chance. Well, Let me assure you that this player will provide more than enough volume and bass. I increased the volume and the volume bar graph on the display indicated approx. 25%. WOW!! That provided plenty of db's (decibles). I increased the volume to 50% and that was more than I personally felt comfortable with.



I might suggest reading the instructions. I'm a guy and I know it goes against the grain to do this. However, there is a AVLS button (automatic volume limiter system) that limits the volume function. It's also a real possibility that these units were defective or the headphones they were using weren't compatable. All I can say is the unit I purchased will blow your socks off if you want it to (PLEASE, I don't recommend this).



Motor Noise: The motor/transport mechanism is a little louder than my old panasonic but it's not that noticeable and doesn't present a problem with me, especially with my headphones on (Ha Ha).



SOUND QUALITY: The sound quality compared to my old Panasonic SL-S242C isn't quite as good. However, compared to my ipod 30 GB Classic, I didn't notice very much difference. The Sony D-NF340 does have a nice presentation on the very high and very low frequencies. It also has a button to select 3 levels of bass. I couldn't detect any hiss in the background. I only play CD's and can't report on MP3 quality.



FM RADIO: Works great. Clear reception. The antenna is the earphone cord and it has 40 station presets.



FUNCTIONALITY: VERY easy to operate. The remote control might be a guy thing but it's very useful. I carry my player in a Tune Belt and it's nice to operate the player without removing it from the pouch. The primary operating buttons are located on the front panel ILO (in lieu of) the side panel for easy visual identification and physical operation.



EARPHONES: The included earphones were a pleasent surprise. The sound quality is really quite good for an included feature. - Portable Cd Player - Personal Cd Player - Cd Walkman - Portable Cd Players'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information