Monday 28 February 2011

Dog Ball - soccer, chew toy


First Impression: Well the people over at Planet Dog heard about my website and decided I should test some of their toys. Puppy `o puppy am I glad they did! I saw this on their website about two months ago and I've been wanting to try it ever since. Dad says that the Orbee toys are made of an injection molded "thermo plastic elastomer." Whatever... Basically the ball is strong, hollow, and has holes at both ends. This toy has a hole about 1 inch in diameter at one end, so you could put some dog treats inside, the other hole is much smaller about 3/8 of an inch. They are very flexible - I can easily crush the ball, but it just pops back out to it's normal shape. All of the Orbee toys they sent me have a strong peppermint smell. I personally really like it; I was licking the ball at first... Of course they are bouncy, and apparently they also float! Dad also mentioned that when it's hot during the summer we can freeze them to help keep me cool..



Conclusion: I've managed to pull a small piece loose near the large opening on the ball. The white part of the soccer ball is peeling away from the interior layer. I don't think it's going to be a huge problem, but I'll keep everyone posted if I manage to destroy it!



Followup: I managed to tear the loose piece off and swallow it before Dad could stop me. It was close though... I've also managed to get some more loose. Dad is debating about gluing that part down, or possibly cutting it back. I'll update you if I can keep tearing pieces off! Planet Dog Orbee-Tuff Soccer Ball

This ball is awesome! I have a 3 year old (30 lb.) pembroke welsh corgi and he LOVES it so much! I had been looking for a ball that was about 6" in diameter that he wouldn't puncture with his teeth and would be the right size for him to kick or pick up. It smells minty and there's a one inch hole in it that allows him to pick it up and carry it around! He can't puncture it because the material it is made out of is super durable. KUDOS for making such an awesome product that my little chewer has yet to be able to destroy!!!

Not a regular sized soccer ball, smaller and much Tougher. It is hollow and can be filled with treats. It bounces off windows and walls leaving no mark. I was much surprised when my dog choose the ball over a walk! I finally found her favorite toy.

i have a 70 pound chocolate lab who loves nothing more than to destroy whatever he starts chewing. this soccer ball, however, has withstood even his constant gnawing. he absolutely loves chasing it and ignores the tennis balls i have for him. definitely a great buy!

it smells like mint (not nasty rubber), dogs like to lick it and chew on them (my dog isn't much of a fan of the kong unless it's stuffed with treats), and because it's so tough, it lasts for months. we've had our first one for about eight months now, and it took him probably about 3 months until he was able to finally get the first piece ripped off near the hole. the hole is perfect to put your finger in to help throw it, and it allows him to put a part of his jaw in to pick it up, although it's also a little squishy so it can be squeezed flat with some effort (the rubber is maybe 1/8-1/4" thick).



it's the perfect throwing size, and we've got two now. one that we leave around the inside that he chews on once in a while (still half there), and a second one that we use strictly for throwing around outside.

This ball and foot ball have been my corgi's two favorite toys and although they don't last forever, they do last a good year!! They get new ones every Christmas. Both my corgis are heavy chewers, but one is particularily bad and it is hard to find toys and especially balls like this that can be kicked etc. and enjoyed for retrieval as well. Well worth the money.

I have two labrador retrievers who seem to destroy balls as quickly as I can buy them. This ball has lasted a week, so far, but it hasn't been a fair test. That's because my more aggressive "chewer" hates this ball. I couldn't believe it because he normally goes crazy whenever he sees any spherical object that he can fetch and destroy. He was excited at first, but when he got his first good whiff of the minty scent, he lost all interest. That has never happened with anything! The ball remains untouched despite my best efforts. My second lab doesn't seem to mind the scent and will pick it up, but since her "brother" won't go near it, she loses interest pretty quickly.



As others have pointed out, this is not the size of an actual soccer ball (it's more like a softball). Also note that while my dogs can obviously smell the minty scent, I haven't noticed it a bit. The ball is sturdier than an inflatable ball, but it doesn't appear to be as thick or solid as a Kong toy (you could toss it indoors - carefully - probably better to roll it). My guess is that a determined chewer would eventually begin to do some damage around the hole where you stuff the treats into the ball, but that's just a guess (not evaluating it on that aspect). - Chew Toy - Orbee - Dog Toy - Soccer'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information