Monday 28 February 2011

Cordless Screwdriver - tools, flashlight


We purchased this set at a very critical time -- we were just about to move into a house and had a long list of things we wanted to do, including but not limited to: cut a hole in the basement door for a cat door, install curtain rods, dis-assemble and assemble furniture and closet organizers, install cabinet hardware on brand-new maple cabinets in the kitchen and bathrooms, hang a medicine cabinet, etc. We've used these tools every day for almost two weeks and have only put the batteries on the chargers once -- not because we needed to, but because we thought we should.



We were concerned that they would not have enough power for our many needs. We've never had a problem with it not being able to handle any job asked of them.



The one recommendation I would make is to purchase a set of drill bits, as the bits it comes with are not enough for most jobs. Fortunately, it takes standard drill bits with ease.



Just because they are small and seem lightweight doesn't mean they aren't tough enough to tackle most household jobs (even the electrician borrowed our screwdriver for awhile). As a woman with small hands, the tools are very comfortable for me to use, but they are also comfortable for my husband, whose hands are pretty big. Black & Decker VPX903X1 Li-Ion VPX Starter Set with Power Screwdriver, Cut Saw, Flashlight, and VPX Battery with Charger

This system is nice for the average homeowner, its not for contractors or heavy use. I tested the screw driver by driving a 3" screw into a hard wood 2x4 it did ok on the 1st setting, second setting it stalled out, but that is to be expected with a 7 volt. I was actually surprised it better in my test than i expected. Since most people will not use it to drive 3"screws this system should do just fine. The screw drivers could use a clutch and a brake but then again your not paying a $150 for just a screw driver. The Saw is pretty handy as well, i used the same 2x4 and it did just ok, but when i used it on a laminate floor piece and 1/2 inch cedar fencing and it did really well. The flashlight works, its a 3 led and does what it should. I like this set because its comfortable to use and handy for for around the house. The cool thing about the set it the lithium ion batteries, Should work for most homeowners.

IMHO, VPX is a revolution in tool design. I was so excited when I saw these tools. This system has what I consider to be the best industrial design you can find in the consumer tool market. I started with the inflator and since then I've bought and tested all the different components except for the USB/Inverter.



I find the tools to have plenty of power and its very useful to have a common battery as well as one thats ready to go when you need it! They also take a lot less space than my old tool system which my wife always thought took a lot of space. My VPX setup takes half the space and does more! This one is a keeper!

I'm an electrician and bought this kit for basically two reasons.

1. I wanted a small compact, easy to handle saw for small project work like making a few cuts in wood or a few cuts of electrical conduit so I wouldn't have to drag out the big reciprocating saw.

2. I wanted a secondary drill/driver with good battery life and I like the new Li-ion battery technology.

The small drill driver in the kit works great with plenty of power to drive a 2" drywall screw in solid wood on low speed and battery life seems sufficient to use consistently for a reasonable amount of time. Two speeds was a good thought from their R&D dept. A small LED work light to light the bit area would be a nice addition though.

I was much more disappointed with the hand held jigsaw. What happened to all the power I had in the driver??? It was non existent and even with a full battery charge it had to really work to make even one single cut through a piece 1/2 inch dia. conduit. (using a proper blade for metal). Not very impressive. I encountered the same thing when trying to cut a rectangular hole in 1/2 inch thick OSB board.

and the light that comes with the kit? ... pretty much worthless. Why not use several LED'S to give me a light that's actually useful and energy efficient ?

OK... I know these tools weren't designed for Pro use but I think that with a little more forethought and a small amount of money, these tools could have been much better and more useful to more people at what is still a very reasonable cost.



Would I purchase again knowing what I know now?....Not so sure about that. I'd probably wait for improvements or keep searching for a different product to fill the bill for what I wanted.

Just my 2 cents worth of input.....

This starter set is just what I needed. Being a single female homeowner, I sometimes need tools to do jobs around the house. This set is lightweight, but powerful. I specifically needed a power saw and this one is just right. A great price for several useful tools.

The new VPX system by Black and Decker has been initially quite impressive. It is light-weight, compact and yet relatively powerful. The battery is small but holds a reasonable capacity. The tools are compact and easy-to-use. Although time and use will tell the fuller story, my initial experiences have been very positive and I especially find the Cut Saw a very versatile tool around my model railroad project. I hope that I am still as happy with the system a year from now but the early indicators are quite positive

I saw the set on a Gold Box deal ($49.99) and couldn't pass it up, particularly since I had the VPX3101 AC/USB Powersource and no VPX battery or charger. The Gold box deal got me a charger and battery plus the saw, power screwdriver and flashlight for only a little more than the cost of the charger alone.



After charging the battery (easy to tell when charged as the LED on the charger stops flashing when charged), I tested the flashlight and screwdriver. The flashlight is a three LED design and seems bright for a handheld light. The LEDs give a cool, white light and the lights pivot so you can aim it down, straight ahead or anywhere in between. The wrist lanyard is a bungee with a friction clip that lets you hang it around things. Overall, first impression is good product.



The power screwdriver is a two speed unit with reverse. It doesn't have a regular chuck but rather a hex connection. It comes with standard and philips "bits" for the unit and you could probably find hex drill bits if you need to drill small holes. However, in my opinion the head speed is not really up to much drilling. The speed of the low setting looks good for driving screws and I plan to use mine for light work inside the house and at hobby shows for assembling modules. For the price, it exceeded my expectations.



I haven't had a chance to test the saw but by the size, it looks like it could cut off long bolts and things of that nature. It comes with two saw blades.



The basic set comes in a box with a handle which I found convenient. I think it will be useful for tasks such as assembing furniture or other items. If you need more substantial woodworking, I would recommend getting woodworking grade tools. For the price I paid, it seems to be a good household set and I recommed it for that level of usage. - Tools - Combo Packs - Lithium-ion - Flashlight'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Cordless Screwdriver - tools, flashlight flashlight Cordless Screwdriver - tools, flashlight