Monday 20 December 2010

Usb Serial Adapter - linux compatible, rs232


Finally - an adapter that really works with windows 7 and 64 bit - and so reasonably priced - bought one from Staples that said it was windows 7 compatible for $40 and it didn't work - I use this to hook my laptop to my embroidery machine - so excited that its working!! Plugable USB to RS-232 DB9 Serial Adapter (Prolific PL2303HX Chipset)

This is a very good Serial-USB adapter. Not much than can be said about it except that it installs easily and works flawlessly. Installing the drivers one time from the provided DVD enabled every USB port in my machine to recognize the adapter immediately. This is important to me because I own another brand of Serial-USB adapter that requires the drivers to be separately installed on each USB port to be used, which is a real bother.



I would definitely recommend this product to anyone having a need for a Serial-USB adapter.

I needed a serial port to talk to the door security system at the fire department and the adapter we had before would not work on the new 64 bit Win7 system. After looking around, I found this adapter and it works fine as long as you install the latest driver ([...]) and reboot before you plug the cable in the first time.

I recently purchased a used handheld GPS (Garmin eTrex Legend). Great price but with the downside of requiring a serial connection. Garmin was offering a serial to USB cable for $89. Got this one instead and the unit works great! Thanks for helping keep my good deal a good deal.

I had purchased a laptop with Windows 7 and without the RS232 connection and needed one to upload information into my electronic organizer. The laptop recognized the installation CD and then the adapter plug on its first time. I had no problems with the install or using the electronic organizer.

I bought this to connect a lab equipment to the computer. I guess newer computers sometimes come without a serial port nowadays. The operating system on the computer was windows vista, and it was easy to install the driver from the cd that came with the USB to serial adapter. I have not had any trouble getting it to work.

I just wanted to state that this is a perfect USB to Serial Converter for use with the Linux OS. I had been looking for a USB/SerialConv and noticed that this one, and this is key, has the Prolific PL2303HX Chipset. Which, for most newer Kernels, is plug and play. I would have liked to seen a review like this when I was checking the item out but was pretty sure on the chipset. So I thought I'd give a review in case other Linux users are wondering. Anyhow, I took it out of the box, plugged it in, and had a ttyUSB* device show up in # dmesg. I didn't use the CD at all. The CD is for winDoze users. Worked great with Novell SuSe and Debian. Price? Just right! Ok folks, have fun...

The product does what it says it will do, in my case I did need to install the supploied drivers (Windows XP). However after the install I just powered off the machine, plugged in the device and restarted. Now I am able to select that port for my device that requires COM4 communications.

I connected this device to a 32 bit Windows 7 machine. Windows tried unsuccessfully to install it but the device popped up a window and asked if I wanted to download the drivers. Now the device comes with a CD but I figured I would get the drivers off of the net and thereby get the latest ones. They downloaded and installed inside of a couple on minuets. I just had to unplug the adapter and plug it back in and bingo. It is now connected to my Uniden 780XLT scanner and it works perfectly.

And by the way I love Amazon Prime... - Usb Serial Adapter - Rs232 - Linux Compatible - Adapter'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Usb Serial Adapter - linux compatible, rs232 linux compatible Usb Serial Adapter - linux compatible, rs232