Monday 20 December 2010

Bluetooth Car Kit - t305, motorola t305

I was looking for a replacement for my bluetooth headset when I started looking at bluetooth speakerphones. After doing some research, I was looking for the following:

* No installation - I wanted to use it in multiple vehicles/locations

* Reasonable price

* Trusted brand

* Good sound quality

* Easy to use

I am happy to report that the T305 does a good (sometimes great) job of satisfying my requirements. Here's a look at how it has performed:

Setup - Upon opening the box, there are really two things to do: insert the visor clip which is easily secured and use the car charger that comes with the unit. While the instructions said that charging could take up to two hours, my unit fully charged in about 30 minutes. Once complete, simply power on the device, and it automatically enters pairing mode. I was able to find it with my LG VX-9900 (see my review) with no problems at all.

Use - Coming from a background of using headsets, I must say that I cannot imagine going back. I really like not having anything hanging on my ear (and sometimes inserted in my ear depending on the headset). This model also seems geared toward the people who use headsets because the operation is very similar. One nice thing is that the power button is separate from the multi-function button. With my 9900, I am able to initiate voice dialing from the speakerphone and with the 9900 set to auto-answer, calls are automatically transferred after 2 seconds. The volume controls on the sides are easily accessible and operate similar to most headsets. I never have to touch my phone at all so it truly is hands-free.

Call Quality - All of the above is meaningless if the calls don't sound good, right? Well, have no fear. The call quality for both parties is better than any headset that I have ever used - and I've used six different ones over last 2 years. Some of this has to do with positioning. In the Texas heat, most people have their AC on a high setting. Unfortunately, most headsets are positioned directly in line with the air flow. However with a visor clip-on of this speakerphone, this is not the case. Add to that the noise canceling technology, and the people on the other end hardly know that they are on speakerphone at all. On my end, the volume is more than adequate. It's really a simple matter of physics - the speaker is bigger here than it is on a headset.

Cons - So what's the catch? As I mentioned earlier, the device only ships with a car charger. I ordered (rather cheaply) a wall charger to compensate for this. While it was annoying, it wasn't the end of the world. Others have mentioned the flashing blue light. I have to admit that the first time I was driving in the dark, it was initially distracting. However, I got used to it rather quickly, and I don't notice it anymore. I would compare it to getting a new car that has a loud turn signal. You notice it a lot at first, but you learn to tune it out. Also, it does not have a display, but then again, neither do headsets. Finally, I use it in a similar manner to a headset. I take it with me when I get out of the car, and I power it off between uses. It's not an integrated speakerphone so it isn't tied to your car's power supply like more sophisticated (and expensive) models. None of these are deal-breakers for me.

Bottom line - If you are looking for a good alternative to bluetooth headsets, and you intended use pattern will be similar to that of a headset, then this is what you are looking for. It has great quality, and it's easy to use. Motorola T305 Bluetooth Portable Car Speaker

Pros: Good sound quality for each side of the conversation. Good battery life, easy recharging, simple to use. Basically perfect except for my cons..

Cons: Huge blinking blue light is annoying at night and invisible during the day. Sometimes it take a second for it to answer a call when you click the answer button. I guess the solution for that is probably to wait a few seconds after answering before saying "hello". This flaw also demonstrates itself when using VZ Navigator, because it cuts off the first word of driving instructions. This flaw might be from my MOTOKRZR phone and not from the T305, but I don't have any way to know which end causes it.

Another reviewer stated that the "on/off" button is too small. When I first read that, I didn't know why it matters. I now know. At least with a MOTOKRZR (and I'd assume other phones), the speaker on your phone will be inactive when it is connected via Bluetooth to your T305. With 150 feet of range, it actually stays connected if you are 150 feet from your car. Therefore you have to turn it off every time you get out of the car, or else you won't be able to hear calls you receive on your phone. It isn't a huge deal, and something you can get used to, but Motorola should have either made the on/off button more accessible or cut the Bluetooth range down to about 15 feet.

Overall the best handsfree solution for talking in the car. The light thing is my biggest annoyance. I would buy again. (I updated this post after about a month of use) - T305 - Bluetooth - Speakerphone - Motorola T305'

Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information

speakerphone Bluetooth Car Kit - t305, motorola t305