Monday 20 December 2010

Dashboard Mount - mount, garmin nuvi


I have a Garmin 255W and wanted a holder that would keep the GPS shaded on long trips while setting on the dash. The weighted Garmin dash mount I have was very stable but provided no shelter from the hot sun. This looked like the answer and I got it. I had concerns that this would muffle the voice coming out of the back of the GPS but it does not diminish the sound at all. On a local trip of five miles today, this Nav-Pac slipped off the dash twice when accelerating from a full stop. My dash is plastic and not very slippery but this holder just does not have enough surface area to keep from slipping off, unlike my Garmin dash mount. I do like this Nav-Pack and I will put a piece of Velcro on the bottom of the Nav-Pack and a piece attached to my dash. This should solve the problem of slipping off the dash but I'm not thrilled about a piece of Velcro stuck to my dash. I suggest this Nav-Pack ONLY if you want protection from the sun on your GPS and also using Velcro, unless you want a GPS falling into your lap...

UPDATE: Wife found a silicone potholder at Target. Its thin as a silver dollar, translucent and about 12" square and very flexible. Works great when on dash and Nav-Pak is placed on top of it. No more sliding now... Bracketron UFM-300-BX Nav-Pack Weighted GPS Dash Mount/Carrying Case

I travel frequently for work and rent cars 2-3 times a month, usually after a long flight. I initially used one of the Garmin friction mounts which worked very well and was easy to pack and re-assemble; but when I switched GPS brands, this was no longer an option. I could have used one of the other generic friction bases, but they require the use of the native device's mount which are clumsy and aren't easy to pack and set up. When I saw this Bracketron case and mount, I thought it would be the perfect solution. I quickly learned that this wasn't the case.



Pros:



--On a basic level, the mount does what it says. It will hold your GPS, and it prevents dashboard movement as much as could reasonably be expected given the build of the device. It hold steady for basic driving.



--As long as you don't need your power cord, it is very easy to setup.



Cons:



--If you're driving for any length of time, the heat from the GPS starts to melt the adhesive that attaches the velcro strip to the GPS. Once this happens, the GPS falls out of the case, rendering it useless. I was driving from Boston to NYC, and by the time I got to New Haven, the GPS was resting in the seat next to me because I couldn't get it to stay in the case.



--It can be tricky to connect the AC adapter to your GPS device. If your adapter has an L-shaped connector, or has any kind of bulky piece at the end, it can be tricky to connect, and can prevent the velcro pieces from being completely flush together. This again can cause the GPS to pop out of the case while driving.



--This thing is impossible to get through airport security. The first time I tried, with the GPS inside, the case zippered and resting in my carry-on, I thought it was a fluke. I tried going through security with the case open, closed, in my carry-on, in the bin, every possible way, and security flagged it every time for extra inspection. There's something within the bean bag base that doesn't play nicely with TSA Xray machines. For anyone who is a frequent flyer, this is show stopper.



--The sound does get muffled by the case. If you're on the highway and playing music, the GPS can be difficult to hear, especially since most people won't max out the GPS volume because of distortion.



All told, if you're not doing much driving, this device should work just fine for you. But if you're like me, a frequent traveler looking for a means to easily port your GPS from vehicle to vehicle, find another solution.

I do not think the listing projects the outstanding features of this dash mount/carrying case. It should cover things such as the following:

1. This mount is a great device for use in my truck to both mount the Garmin GPS during travel but also allows me to move the Garmin very easly between several trucks.

2. The carring case unit does an excellent job of protecting the Garmin from damage if dropped.

3. The design allows the unit to be on the dash but shields it from bright sun light and make the Garmin very easy to read in the bright sun of the Texas days.

4. The case has been sized correctly to allow the power cord to be stored insideth case during transport from place to place.

5. It works great on commercial airplane trips both during flight to check that we are going the right way and later in a rental car to get in and out of complex airports.

6. The weight of the case is perfect balance between convience and useful in holding the Garmin in place on the dash.



Hope this helps

Sam Sitler

[...]

I bought this dash mount to go along with our Garmin Nuvi 1450. I didn't want any kind of suction cup device to mount to my dashboard so I was intentionally looking for a weighted dash mount. I saw this and decided that, since it was the same price as the Garmin weighted dash mount and had the added benefit of being a carrying case, I'd give it a shot.

I have been pleasantly surprised. It comfortably holds my 1450 which has a 5-inch screen. There has been no muffling of my GPS's voice feature, even at 70% volume (this with the radio on at highway speeds). I have had zero problems with it shifting or sliding, even during sharp and hairpin turns on small, back roads. Granted, these turns weren't at 60 mph or anything, but the dash mount handled the forces admirably.

It does not seem to grip well on textured dashboard surfaces. I initially placed the mount in a different location on my dashboard that had a more textured surface, and it did slide a bit. I simply moved it over to a smoother location, and I haven't had a problem at all since then.

If the thought of placing some velcro on your GPS bothers you, then this is not the product for you. - Bracketron - Gps Mount - Mount - Garmin Nuvi'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Dashboard Mount - mount, garmin nuvi garmin nuvi Dashboard Mount - mount, garmin nuvi