Sunday 5 December 2010

Milwaukee - nailer, air tools


This is my third framing nailer. My first was a DeWalt D51823 which had cost me $275 and lasted 9 months. It misfired and jammed so often that it was barely useable. I replaced it with a Hitachi NR90AA which, along with the optional trigger, cost me well over $400. I used it for a couple of years and it rarely ever jammed nor misfired. I purchased a Milwaukee 7110 framing nailer to replace the Hitachi after it broke. At nearly half the price of the Hitachi and quite a bit cheaper then the DeWalt, I was worried that I might be buying something I couldn't rely on. Right out of the box, this nailer seemed like a VERY high quality tool. Very sturdy construction and with precise adjustments.



After 6 months of use, my worries are gone. This nailer is flawless. It has not jammed or misfired yet, which is extraordinary. It double fires on rare occasions, but only when switched to 'contact actuation'. It's very lightweight and rugged (easily brushed off a 15-foot story fall just recently). The ability to switch from sequential to contact actuation firing modes with a simple switch is ingenious (both my other nailers required disassembling the trigger assembly!). The depth adjustment works quite well (providing you don't use the non-mar tip) and firing is very smooth and balanced.



On the job, we use several Senco 701XP framing nailers. All of which have jamming, misfiring, and double firing problems, yet they cost $100 more then the Milwaukee. The Milwaukee is also the lightest of the bunch (7.0 lbs, compared to 7.5 lbs for DeWalt, 8.0 lbs for Senco, and a hefty 8.8 for Hitachi). The height is a bit longer (1" longer then DeWalt, 1/2" longer then Senco, but 3/8" shorter then Hitachi), but it has the shortest length and smallest tip, so it seems to get in smaller areas a bit better then the rest. Lastly, the air usage is a bit higher then the Hitach and DeWalt (.130 cfm for Milwaukee vs .072 cfm for DeWalt, .100 cfm for Hitachi, and .160 cfm for Senco), but that's a very minor concern for me.



One thing I would like to have seen is a case... I don't know why Milwaukee chose to leave this tool as their only air tool without a case to protect it during transit.



Overall, this is easily the best framing nailer I've ever used. Pair that up with it being the cheapest framing nailer I've ever used, and I can't help but solidly recommend this to anyone.



Also, I've seen a lot of erroneous information concerning who actually manufactures Milwaukee's line of air tools and the Rigid/Milwaukee relationship. Techtronic Industries (TTI) owns Milwaukee and Emerson owns Rigid. These are two entirely different companies and neither of which owns the other (which had been incorrectly claimed by another reviewer). Emerson has a deal with One World Technologies, a subsidiary of TTI, for Milwaukee to supply them with various tools to sell under their Rigid tool line, particularly Milwaukee's air tools line. These tools are 100% Milwaukee and are license to be sold by Rigid, with the only difference being the Rigid logo and body color. Milwaukee 7110-20 2- to 3-1/2-Inch Clipped Head Framing Nailer

I own four other tools from milwauke, that I have had for more than 5 years. They are very reliable and I love them. None of them pneumatic tools. I have 3 nailers, one a Porter-Cable and two Bostitch. Happy with both brands.

I went out on a limb when I decided to buy this Milwaukee nailer. They are not known for nailers and I thought they probably re-brand some other nailer. The price was right and it did say that it was magnesium housing.

It comes in a box, no case. My first impression when I picked up the box was that it felt that there was nothing in there.

But there is. For its size a suprisingly light framing nailer. Just the type I wanted. You also get a pair of safety glasses, throw those away, and a tiny oil bottle and couple of hex keys.

Easy to load, no jams so far, (used about 500 nails) and you can work with it all day long and not have a sore arm. I've used the single and continuous fire with no problems. I have used it in a house after demolition, with lots of dust and dirt around. I am used to just leaving my other milwaukee tools around on the floor and they have held up very well. This nailer is no exception, holds up well to abuse in on the site.



Overall an excellent nailer for the money, and if it is a re-branded tool, good choice Milwaukee!

Personally I've tried Porter-Cable and Hitachi framing nailer. Porter-Cable is heavy, you don't want to carry it for more

than 10 mins and is lacking some neat features like tool-free depth adjustment... Hitachi is light, but you gotta pay more bucks.

Milwaukee framing nailer is even lighter than Hitachi and at the saome time packed with features you wish for. Great nailer, buy it!

Lite weight framing nailer. Really like the single shot switch. Good for toe nailing without the double shot other nailers sometimes do. Been a carpenter for many years, found it hard to give up my hammer. Don't mind not using it as often now. Milwaukee took all the bugs out of framing nailers. Well worth waiting for.

These guns are great. I purchased 2 clipped head on one round head milwaukee nailers and they are all awesome. I have gone through 7000 nails in a month with no jams, or miss fires in any of the 3 guns.

I relied on the good reviews here on Amazon when buying this tool and I'm very glad I did. This is only the second pneumatic framing nailer I've used, though I've been doing woodworking and carpentry (not professionally) for over 30 years. I do have staplers and a nice Hitachi 16ga nailer, as well as a great palm nailer.



I switched to using screws for building my shop a few years ago and was pretty happy with the strength of the structure, plus the benefit that I could easily make changes as I went by just taking out the screws and re-doing it. This time I decided I didn't have the time and energy to drive that many screws, so I borrowed my brother's nailer. He's building a house next door and wasn't using his framing nailer at the time. It was heavy and kicked like a mule, misfiring often and turning nails into worms (though it may have been the low quality of the Chinese nails he had on hand). So I decided to invest in one of my own.



I thank all of you previous buyers for steering me to the best nailer I could have bought. It's light, soooooo easy to load and switch nail size, easy to adjust head depth... And for some reason the angle is and business end are just right that I had no trouble at all getting into tight spaces to deliver a nail exactly where I wanted.



Loading is so much easier with this machine than any I've seen. Most require opening hatches, unsnapping springs, etc. The Milwaukee just has a slot at the back where you drop in another clip and pull back an easy release on the side to push the clip forward. Removing them is as simple as pushing a button on the release that allows the clip to fall back to a spring stop, which you easily press and the clip comes right out the slot in the back... simple and ingenious!



Adjusting the head depth is as easy as turning a knob, because that's all you have to do.



But firing this baby is the neatest thing... it doesn't seem to be working at all to drive a full 3 1/2 inch 16d without any bounce, EVERY time... no misfire, no jam...PERFECT.



This tool saved me so much time on my addition I think it paid for itself the first week! Thank you Milwaukee and thank you Amazon for the great deal... and thanks again reviewers! - Framing Nailers - Nailer - Milwaukee - Air Tools'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Milwaukee - nailer, air tools air tools Milwaukee - nailer, air tools