Tuesday 14 December 2010

Milwaukee M18 - m18, work lights


This Worklight does not come with batteries, so if you don't have M18 batteries you will have to buy them and a charger separately. Worklight is very bright. I hooked up a M18XC battery and turned the light on and it stayed lit for hours without draining the battery. I finally shut it off so I didn't burn up the bulb (it only comes with one). The head pivots and there is a hook to hang it from making it very versatile. A magnet, like on the previous version would have been nice but it doesn't have one. Great rechargeable flashlight. Milwaukee 49-24-0171 18 Volt Worklight

Standard work light that compliments Milwaukee's new M18 line. Provides ample light and good run time. It generates a lot more heat than my old work light, but nothing that takes away from the performance. Overall a I am very happy with this light.

Super bright, light weight. I lost my last one, left it on a truck I was working on. I liked it so well I bought another one within a day to replace it. Amazon had the cheapest price on the internet.

Mine worked fine for about 6 weeks, then one day during routine work in the garage it went out. I thought the bulb burnt out because it was all black so I changed it, still didnt work. So I took it apart, turns out it got so hot it melted the plastic piece that holds one of the contacts below the bulb and the + and - made contact and fried the circuit board in it. It was strange because it wasnt on any longer than previous uses but I guess it melted a little each time and it finally made contact the last time. When it worked it was nice and bright. Easy to hold or set anywhere, handy fold out hook on the back, rotating head. But rained the compact batteries a little faster than I would have liked. But did get really hot during normal use. I am going to replace it with an LED version.

I recently bought the Milwaukee 2694-24 M18 4 Tool Combo Kit here on Amazon for a great price, and I figured I would review each tool that comes in this kit once I have had a chance to use it more than just a few times or after I test it on a few jobs, then I can more accurately give my feedback on each tool as well as the kit as a whole, which as I can say after only two days of ownership the kit is this far a 5 out of 5 in my book.



I am starting by reviewing the work light because besides the drill it is the tool I have used the most thus far! I have not had a chance to give the Sawzall or Circular Saw true tests yet beyond making a few cuts. Anyway this work light has exceeded my expectations, usually these are thrown in with a combo kit just so they can call it a 4 tool kit instead of 3 and they typically are more of an afterthought than a useful tool that you grab for often. But this light has a few cool features that separate it from some of the others. First off it is very light weight yet still doesn't feel too cheap esp. once you get the battery on it. It has nice thick rubber material all over it so it is easy and to grip and feels nice in your hand, it also has rubber around the plastic lens which could prevent it from shattering should the light sustain a fall, but I am sure the plastic is shatter resistant anyway. The pivoting head is nice as well, it has 12 different positions that it can go into and it makes a nice click sound so you know. It can also be positioned straight up which I find very useful, not only for ceiling work/painting but lighting an entire dark room, when you point it straight up and place it in the middle of the room it gives you the candle effect and does it very well due to its huge beam pattern.



As for the lights output, well it is extremely bright to say the least, much brighter than I expected. I have not used a ton of portable work lights but I cant really see needing anything brighter than this unless you work in a coal mine all day. As mentioned it also has a huge beam pattern that will cover an entire wall easily. I am happy about this because I was a little disappointed when I learned it did not have an LED base bulb but honestly that is not as big of a concern now that I have used it, although I do prefer the white light output of an LED to the yellow tint that a Xenon bulb produces. As you probably already know the built in hook is very thoughtful as well as useful, it folds away into the body of the light. I find myself driving a screw into a stud just to have someplace to hang the light off of. Although it is plenty stable sitting on the ground, esp. with the XC battery. I should also mention I tried both the XC battery and the smaller compact 48-11-1815 battery and there is no visible difference in light output, just how long it lasts I assume but even with the compact battery it must last a long time because I left it on for an hour by accident and it was only down to 3 bars on the battery gauge, I think I read that it should go for 5 hours with the XC battery so around 3 with the smaller one would be my guess and that is very good IMO.



There are really only a few minor cons I can think of, I mean this is only a work light after all, you can't find too much wrong with it if it works well. But for one thing it does indeed get a little toasty to the touch as another review mentioned. I am not surprised that a bulb putting out this much light is going to generate some heat, it is not a cause for concern. You are not going to burn yourself touching it and it will not affect anything, just something to keep in mind. Also another nitpick here is that the hook opening is only just under an inch and a quarter making it too small to hook around some stuff that you would like it to hang from, for example I was working in a closet and it would not hang from the clothes rod, again this is just nitpicking, overall it is a great light that is extremely bright and seems like it will hold up over the years durability wise. I am giving the light a 4 overall mainly because I think that they should be using LED's in all of their lights now, the M12 line has them and Milwaukee advertises their M18 LED light as being able to last for 12 hours on a single charge which doesn't surprise me but that is double the rated run time of this light which would be nice and as I already mentioned I prefer the white light output of an LED lamp. - M18 - 18v Light - Milwaukee - Work Lights'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Milwaukee M18 - m18, work lights 18v light Milwaukee M18 - m18, work lights