Tuesday 14 December 2010

Cordless Chain Saw - lopper, loppers


This item, Black & Decker NLP1800 Alligator Lopper 18-Volt Cordless Chain Saw, has lots of potential. It cuts the branches well, even fairly thick ones.



The problems: 1) Battey life...easy fix, get a spare battery... 2) requires frequet oiling 3) This is the worst problem I see, but possible a deal break: the top chain guard can very easily get postioned were it rubs the chain, creating wear and eating a whole in the guard..



Overall: I would say worth $75-99, but would not give over $100 for it again untill the above bugs are corrected. Black & Decker NLP1800 Alligator Lopper 18-Volt Cordless Chain Saw

It is great for pruning, especially in "overgrown" hedges, etc. The ability to cut between branches without damaging the branches on the back side of the chain is critical. It is nice to be able to just switch it on and off without having to restart an engine. It is extremely quick and quiet. Oiling is a minor problem.

After hurricane winds knocked down my tree, a neighbor brought over her Electric B&D Alligator to help. It did such a great job in the short time she was there, I knew it was a tool to add to my collection! The only drawback was that, due to the storm damage, limbs were everywhere and repositioning/getting enough reach with the extension cord was a little difficult.



Since purchasing the B&D 18-Volt Cordless Lawncare Center earlier this year, I have built up 5 interchangeable batteries and was SO EXCITED to be able to buy a CORDLESS version. I cut up the rest of my tree (excluding the trunk) with my new cordless alligator - some branches were just over four inches! Battery life was 40-50 mins depending on the size of the branches.



The cordless version was a bit more expensive than the electric lopper. So if you don't already have several batteries from other tools, it might be better to save the $$ and go corded.



Overall it was a great investment and puts my family's mind at ease because it is so much safer than a traditional chain saw!

I'm a big fan of the 18volt B&D line - have their regular hedge trimmer, the extended trimmer, the pole saw, the chainsaw, blower, and several others. I've always wanted one of the Alligator cutters since it came out, but the fact that it was corded held me back. Most of the time, the time and hassle of dealing with an electrical cord makes doing it by hand easier.



So pleased to see that B&D came out with a cordless version of the Alligator! Works great, and solves one of the biggest problems of cutting limbs - chopping them into smaller lengths for disposal. The cordless chainsaw does a great job of getting the limb to the ground, but you have to prop up the limb before cutting it into pieces so you don't hit the ground with the chain. This is where the Alligator shines -- the protective cover keeps you from hitting the ground, so you don't have to spent the time propping up limbs. Just grab and cut.



It's also very helpful on limbs. While it can't cut through as thick of a limb as the cordless chainsaw, for smaller jobs it's all you need. Also fantastic for cutting thick, overgrown bushes -- it handles the thick stalks that stops even the biggest hedge trimmer.



The downside with this, and all other B&D cordless products, is battery life. Get a spare battery (or two) and the one hour charger. When the battery dies, swap it out and keep going. If you need batteries, keep an eye out for sales on the cordless blower. It comes with two batteries and, when it's on sale, is cheaper than buying just the battery.



Oiling is a bit of a pain -- wish they provided a system like they have on the cordless chainsaw. It's workable, but you nearly always dribble out some oil, so make sure you're standing where a couple of oil drops won't cause a problem when they hit the floor.



Fantastic product that is easy, safe and (at least for me) fun to use.

A great little saw. My family and friends have all bee impressed with this little chain saw. And because of the design, It is safe enough for my children (older than 12) to use. Because it is set up like hedge clippers, you do not have to hold, or hold down what you are cutting. As a matter of fact, you have to squeeze both handles, so your hands are always out of the way. And because it grabs from both sides of the work, you do not have to hold anything under your foot. Also,the guards keep the chain out of the dirt (and feet), so it stays sharp much longer than your normal chain saw. I have cut thru 4" and larger logs regularly.

I have 2 of these, and 10 batteries (I got 3 free batteries thru Amazon promotions!!!) I also have the 8" pruning chain saw on a pole, and the Grasshog and hedge trimmer on a pole.

The 5th star is missing because the charger is so lame. It should indicate when the charge is full, and when the battery is shot. It only indicates when a battery is in it. not too useful of an indicator. I get about 15 minutes of cutting our of a charge.

The B/D Alligator Lopper is awesome - it is SO much easier to use than a regular chain saw. I've been going through a pile of brush/tree limbs that has piled up on our property for years. This tool has made it FUN! I've been dreading cutting all this up and once I saw this, I knew it was the answer. I have high expectations and have NOT been disappointed. I've used it on some large limbs and it cuts through w/great ease. Let the machine do the work - takes very little effort on my part. The cordless one is worth the extra cost to avoid having to deal w/cords. Hands down the best purchase I've made. I have had to replace the chain once due to the large volume of cutting I've done, but you can find a very affordable replacement chain on Amazon. WORTH IT! Oh, I'm a 47-year old woman w/back problems - that tells how easy it is to use! I've been able to spend many hours using it w/little discomfort. - Alligator - Loppers - Cordless - Lopper'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Cordless Chain Saw - lopper, loppers alligator Cordless Chain Saw - lopper, loppers