Sunday 28 November 2010

Brake Pads - wagner


I had these installed on my SUV and it started squealing a couple weeks later. My car sounded like one of those big rig trucks with a 100 ton load coming to a screeching stop. I had it replaced under warranty with Wagner SX785 pads. So far the SX series is quiet. So if you're thinking about these, I'd recommend the SX785, or even some other brand, instead. I can't believe this is called ThermoQuiet, instead it should be called ThermoSquealer. Wagner QC785 ThermoQuiet Ceramic Disc Brake Pad Set

I purchased these pads a couple of months ago.



The back surface of these pads are painted with some material instead of having plastic shims on them to prevent squealing. Within 2 weeks of installing these pads and brand new rotors, every time I stepped on the brakes, the pads squealed. I took the brakes apart to notice the paint was worn through on the back surface of the pad. I cleaned the pad with brake parts cleaner and all of the paint (assume for quieting the brakes) came off, which is a very poor design if regular brake cleaner takes off the anti-squeal paint. I had to buy permatex brake quiet to silence these pads, but that only partially worked. Until the brakes warm up (2-3 times of braking) the squeal is horrible. I have done dozens of brake jobs over the last 20 years and never had a worse set of squealing pads. These are the absolute worst pads I ever bought. I bought these Wagner pads thinking they would be better then the pads you get from Autozone, clearly that is not the case. I will be buying a set of autozone pads shortly to replace these slugs.

I purchased these pads at a local Discount Advance Auto Parts. The guy behind the counter told me these were some of the best pad in the industry. They suck! I put them on my 2005 Toyota Tacoma and the pads squeal like mad as you drive down the road normally. It is only when you apply the brakes that the noise goes away. I have used the Autozone Gold pads and gotten much better results. These pads are definitely not worth the money.

I replaced the front pads on my 2001 GMC Sierra several weeks ago with Wagner QC785 ThermoQuiet Ceramics and they fit perfectly and have performed well.

I'm not sure why some others have experienced squealing maybe something pecular to the make of their vehicle or an installation issue?

When you replace the pads you have to clean the calipers and replace the spring clips(they come with the pads).

You should also make sure the caliper pistons are functioning properly. It is not uncommon to have a piston that is not moving freely.

The rotors should also checked for wear and warping and replace or turn them if needed.

I have used these pads exclusively in the past with great results. I have several cars that I have used these pads on to include a chevy avalanche, lincoln continental and a bmw z3 without issues. I tried cheaper brands but they squeak and made noises as noted from other reviews. I know sometimes cars are very picky about what pads to use but the wagners have never gave me any issues.I highly rate these pads and like they way they feel when the brakes are applied. It feels like a hot sticky tires grabbing pavement. I just bought my 4th set of pads today and will report back after I install them.



Chuck - Wagner'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Brake Pads - wagner wagner Brake Pads - wagner