Tuesday 27 September 2011

Subwoofer Cable


I just recently bought a sub-woofer and I spent a good deal of time searching for an interconnect. The interconnects I looked at ranged from ridiculously over-priced to questionably cheap. I knew I wanted it to be THX certified and of a length that would allow me some freedom of sub-woofer placement. This interconnect provided both at a very reasonable price. I must say after installing my subwoofer that this cable was a perfect choice.



Some might say that the cost reflects a cables ability to provide good sound. Wrong. This is just as good as those 70 dollar interconnects. I do buy monster cable for most of my home theatre needs, but I do not buy into some of the hype surrounding Monster cable and their more expensive cables.



Why only 4 and not 5 stars. I did not like the way the cable was packaged. The cable was folded down the middle and now the center of the cable has a crook in it. I would have perfered it to be wound around a plastic spool to avoid folding of the cable.



Getting past that, its a good interconnect that produces great sound. Monster THXI100-SW25NF THX Certified Subwoofer Cable (25 feet)

Just incase anyone is wondering what the difference is between this Monster THX subwoofer cable that is 16 feet and the other one on Amazon that is 16 feet as well, one has retail packaging and the other does not.



I actually bought both of them to see what the difference is and the "NF" in the product code actually means "No Frills." The I100SWNF comes in a simple ziplock bag and the other comes in the typical monster retail plastic. Also, there was no plastic spool on mine as others have mentioned. It was just thrown in the bag. I ended up returning this one and getting the retail packaging with the other.

I worked for 4 different national electronics retailers, and I can honestly say that Monster cables are overpriced. 90% overpriced. Every year, they (monster) would have a contest where we could get all the Monster Products we could buy at 90% off, if we sold X amount of product. At 90% off, Monster still made money.



For example, I purchased the top of the line Z series, and the picture quality WAS THE SAME AS THE PACK IN CABLES. No difference whatsoever.

Only place where cables made a difference was with audio. Speaker cables definitely sound better when bigger.



Oh, and the THX label means nothing, except more money for Monster. It's the SAME cable as the non-THX label. I've seen both cut in 1/2. They are identical.

I don't know if Monster Cable cables actually sound any better, but they sure as hell look much cooler than most of the other brands. So really if you think about it, it doesn't make much sense, but to some of you out there who realize that it really only costs a few dollars more than crappy cables from Best Buy compared to the savings (in particular the NF packaging) you pay on Amazon, not only can you have something that is at least = to or >, it will most certainly look better.



That alone looks to be all my brain needed to hear in order to know that my sound sounds much better. My brain says that because it looks good, it obviously must sound good.

First thing, I like Monster Cables they are excellent quality and usually look great but for the most part they are over priced. But at a decent price I will purchase Monster cables over no name brand or lesser known brands every time. I purchased this cable for around $20.00, the cheapest cable I have seen that is also 25ft. is $12.00 and it looked cheap like an extension cord from the dollar store and the inputs also looked and felt very cheap.



This cable on the other hand looks great, very sturdy and the ends fit really tight. I have a THX (cert) subwoofer and THX (cert) receiver so this THX cable was the perfect match. I know you can't see the cables and probably I wouldn't be able to hear the difference but when the price difference is not that much I will go with a good quality, good looking cable every time. I'm into hifi audio and like to place attention to details and have the back of the audio system look as great as the front of the system.



Pros: Good Quality Wire

Tight fitting ends

Durable ends

THX certification

Looks great



Cons: A couple of bucks more than a cheaper brand



Bottom line: I don't recommend all Monster cables because they are so over priced especially their HDMI cables for $100 is crazy but this cable with good quality 25ft. and for around $20 is a good price, you won't be disappointed.

These THX cables are everything you could/would expect from a high quality sub cable. Good stuff.



EDIT: I forgot to mention...the most thorough review here mentions the only downside being the way this cable is packed. I was distinctly worried about this when I put my order in. However, when the package came, I noticed the cable was, in fact, wrapped around a plastic spool, without any kinks or bends. Either the reviewer was mistaken, or Monster changed its packaging since he posted. Either way, my original review/rating remains...quality cable with ample length and a great price.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information