Monday 12 September 2011

240hz - 46 inch, led


I just got the TV in today, and from I experience so far is that this TV is amazing.



Black level is great! One of the best I seen so far.



Internet connection is great on the TV. Very useful for watching Netflix.

The qwerty remotes that came with my TV is very useful for web browsing, but don't expect the browser to be like normal computer browser because it is very bad, slow, hard to navigate, and cumbersome.



For gaming, in my opinion, there is no lag if you turn off the picture enhancements options, and also turning on the game mode. I would say the lag on the TV would be probably somewhere between 30-50ms.



3D is great! I watched Shrek 3D, and it's just stunning. A major improvement from last year model. I probably will buy Tron 3D, and see it on the TV soon.





Cons: HDMI input is located on the side. Clouding & Flashlighting that can be seen in dark screen.





Update: After 2 weeks of having the TV I noticed some flash lighting / clouding that can be seen in pitch black room. Not a big deal at first, but overtime I am starting to be annoyed by it. I am thinking of getting it exchange for higher end model. Therefore I am rating the TV 3/5 stars. If would be a solid 5 stars if there is no flaw.



Update 2: Returned my set and bought 46" Sony HX929. Samsung UN46D7000 46-Inch 1080p 240Hz 3D LED HDTV (Silver)

BROWSER + 3D



I returned the D6300 (which I loved), to get this one, because I really, really wanted both the 3D and the Web browser, even though ... WOW, expensive!



(B.S. ALERT - You might notice on the TV comparison chart that the browser mysteriously "disappears" from the entry-level 3D TVs and doesn't reappear until THIS TV, $800 later, which strikes me as SLIMY of Samsung. But I won't even let this ruin my happy feeling, darn it.)



OK, EXPENSIVE, but I used the Amazon Store Card to finance with no interest for 24 months, and if you divide the cost by 24 months, it's less than the price of cable. Let's NOT talk about how much the extended Squaretrade warranty was, theft / accident insurance from Worth Ave Group, Blu-Ray player, 3D glasses :: crying ::.)



ANYWAY, I can't imagine NOT loving this TV.



The browser is a little slow. It's buggy and even freezes when I watch multiple embedded videos full-screen (I watch a site that aggregates various videos from sc2 gaming). I even have had to turn off the TV on a couple of occasions to "reboot." I wish I had one of those laser-pointed remotes I saw on the LG. But so what. It works, and the videos looks AMAZING in HD; better than I thought.



APPS



The YouTube app REALLY need some work; for example, whenever I use the app (which is rare, as I use the browser, as stated), I'm forced to watch some idiot with hair gel hosting some weird "Jackass"-style show while I search. I HATE that, and haven't figured out how to turn this off. I suggest the Roku for anything other than YouTube (as the Roku doesn't have YouTube, thanks Google.) The QWERTY remote also doesn't work in the YouTube app; you have to navigate to each letter. Baffling. Some other features (left and right to switch between videos) are okay.



Had a chance to try some of the other widgets and apps; the Facebook app is pretty low-fi (read: crappy) but it does get the job done.



Twitter widget works well and is appealing. You can even tweet while watching TV, which is hilarious and pretty cool.



Other widgets (weather, etc.) are graphically very nice.



Anyway, as far as streaming live content goes, I'm using my new Roku ($100!) to watch Netfllix and FREE movies (not to mention UStream and Justin.TV), and that has really all the app functionality I need, except for YouTube, though this TV does have that, as I said.



BROWSER



Browser is fine; crashes when I watch too many embedded videos, but so do some computers (more or less), so it doesn't worry me. I'm grateful for it, and I think having the extended warranty and insurance makes me not sweat it too much. They will probably update the firmware as time goes on, as well. But works like any browser, albeit with a bit of lag (though I am going WiFi only): has Favorites, History, etc. What's surprising is how AMAZINGLY CLEAR AND HI-RES video looks on this TV, just using the WiFi signal: I swear, better quality than my 1-year old iMac, going through Ethernet: no idea how this is even possible! I was expecting hitches and lo-res, so yes, totally amazed at the eye-poppingly colorful, crystal-clear HD quality when watching YouTube, in particular.



REMOTE



I LOVE the remote so far: it can control my Blu-Ray player (something the 6300 TV remote didn't have enough buttons for), and as I wrote (in my review of the BD-D6700 Blu-Ray player), that Blu-Ray player's remote isn't even LIT.



But the QWERTY remote on this comes through; the remote is hefty, solid, and backlit, and does the job well.



SOUND



Very nice! I'm an audiophile (musician) and I think it represents highs, mids, lower mids and bass quite well indeed. Balanced, thick, clean and loud. Don't think I'll buy a soundbar, though guess I could later on. Doesn't NEED one, though, and that's very important to me.



SUMMARY



So YES, imperfections aside, cost aside, I LOVE this TV. It's has an AMAZING picture and EVERYTHING I need.



DEAR SAMSUNG:



I think you're being SHADY on leaving the browser off the cheaper 3D models.



AND you should make that Blu-Ray player work a bit better.



BUT your customer service is great, and I forgive you, because this is an AWESOME TV.



But dudes ... seriously on the other stuff.



--

p.s. Just discovered if you roll your finger around on the arrows on the QWERTY side (not pressing), it senses and acts like a mouse trackpad, controlling the pointer. If this TV was a girl, I'd be proposing. (Follow-up note: Still wish there was a "laser pointer" option like the LG.)



p.p.s. CLOUDING? Okay, I DID see symmetrical white areas on the screen when it was black -- something I didn't notice on the $800-cheaper 6300. Not visible when watching anything. Called Samsung (easy to reach), who told me it was due to heat / moisture during shipping and should resolve in 2 weeks, but to call them if it didn't resolve or got worse, and to keep TV ventilated (lol). Suggested I turn backlighting to 7 and go to Standard Picture Mode, and now you can't see it when black. Don't notice any less picture quality with backlighting lower.



I'm usually INSANELY picky about things like this; but the Sony LED forums ALSO have the same complaint about this "problem"; but if I can't see it while I'm watching anything (so far), to me it isn't a problem, so I'm not going to worry. I have the 4-year warranty, so if it gets worse for some reason, I'll know what to do. If it doesn't, it just seems less-than-ideal, but really a non-issue. - 46 Inch - Led - Hdtv - 240hz'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


240hz - 46 inch, led 46 inch 240hz - 46 inch, led