Tuesday 16 August 2011

Usb To Serial Adapter - keyspan, mac os x


Installed the configuration software, plugged it in, and it worked immediately. I am using it with WinXP Service Pack 2, and it communicates great with a complex serial interface to an unusual piece of electronics I have, so its very compatible with "real" serial ports, unlike some other adapters I have tried that seem to only work with modems or PDA docks. The adapter as shipped is actually a small 1"x1.5"x3" box connected to your computer with a 3' USB cable that can be unplugged from it. It has a green LED on top to tell you when it is properly configured as well as when a program has opened that serial port and when it is passing data. Very functional and easy to use; the configuration software even includes tests to make sure the device is recognized and is properly communicating with your computer. The configuration software also ensures that the same COM port is assigned to the device, no matter which USB port on your computer you plug it into each time, unlike previous adapters I've had which created a different COM port each time you plugged the device into a different USB port (very annoying); the driver also has an option to behave like those other drivers, but most people will probably want to always have it act like the same COM port, the default. Keyspan by Tripp Lite USA-19HS Hi-Speed USB Serial Adapter, PC, MAC, supports Cisco Break Sequence

Despite the first reviewers comments, the Keyspan 19HS works just fine with linux. The driver for the 19HS was included in the kernel source a while ago. Standard off-the-shelf kernels (2.4.24 and 2.6.5) work without any patches. In addition to regular usb support, my kernels also load the keyspan and usb-serial modules.After executing "mknod /dev/ttyUSB0 c 188 0", I am happily communicating with Palms and GPSs using the new /dev/ttyUSB0 device.

I usually don't write-up reviews, but I am writing this to let those Mac OSX users (inc Panther which is what I am running) know that this adapter does work. I bought this for my Garmin etrex Legend GPS. I use it with my iBook and my Power Mac G4. It was a flawless installation. (1) I installed the Mac OS X drivers (2) told virtual PC to emulate COM 1 using the OS X driver, and (3) Download GPS map data to my GPS. It's that easy! Keyspan has good instructions to set up your serial devices.

My USA-19HS worked ok for a couple of months, then stopped working. It started identifying itself as a a TUSB3410 Boot Device, which Keyspan's website says meant it was defective. I then went into customer service hell. After I posted my info to a tech support forum on their website, they vanished. I poked again a week and a half later, and they came back and told me to mail the device in. I did so. Then they vanished off the face of the earth. No replacement sent to me, no posts to my electronic tech support thread (despite multiple posts by me), and they don't answer their phones (there's a recording saying to visit the website). Eventually, weeks later, after I threatened to go to the BBB, someone posted and said they'd look for my device and get back to me that afternoon. Two days later, nothing again.



The device works fine, but heaven forbid you actually need to get it replaced. At this point, I have neither my dead device nor a refund -- I mailed it in, and it's gone in a black hole.

I bought this to hook up my Garmin eTrex GPS to my iBook running OS X. It did what it says. I transfer data back and forth without a problem. I use it with National Geographics TOPO map program also available at Amazon.

After trying other USB to Serial Adaptors to get a Garmin eTrex Summit to communicate with an iMac, I am happy to report this one works flawless. (You will need also the Garmin serial connector)



Now you won't have to suffer Windows to use TOPOS with your Garmin.



Want to connect your Garmin eTrex to a Mac so you can use TOPOS, this works, some others don't. (Have not checked this with Tiger, can't think of a reason it would not work)

I purchased this adapter specifically to connect an old Garmin GPS III (dates to 1997) to my Mac G5 running under OS X 10.4.11. After installing the driver from the supplied CD, I connected the GPS III and started up GPSBabel+. With the GPS III's transfer mode set to Host, GPSBabel+ was able to download all of the track logs in short order.



I also tested HoudahGeo, and it successfully read the track logs, also.



Bottom line: It works!

KEYSPAN USA-19HS USB to Serial adapter:



Summary:

I had a device that came with a USB-Serial adapter from FTDI Chip that only worked intermittently, was poorly documented, and the vendor ignored my e-mail. The KEYSPAN USA-19HS worked flawlessly, is well documented, and comes with a powerful utility (which I did not need).



Details:



Recently I acquired a "Duplimate Mark IV bis" duplicate bridge card dealer. It uses a serial connection to the host Windows computer. I'm using an IBM Thinkpad T40 running Windows XP SP2.



The computer has no serial ports, but the Duplimate came with an adapter, as well as a serial cable. That adapter has a captive USP cable, and a DB9-F connector for the serial device (unusually, with screws - no independent serial cable needed). The adapter was identified only by manufacturer, FTDI Chip. It came with a mini-CD, which I explored and used to print out the manual. I eventually deduced that the adapter was an HL-340, which I found stamped on the DB9 connector and as the name of a folder on the mini-CD, but not in the manual. I installed a driver in that folder, and got the dealer to work - kind of. It would actually deal a hand only about half the time, otherwise taking several seconds to report a communications error. By the time I had hit Ctrl-A to restart dealing for the fifth time on a deal, I was wondering what I would do if it refused to deal. FTDI Chip has a web site, and I downloaded a driver from there - no use. I did perform a successful reinstall without using the HL-340 folder directly, with no change in results. A detailed e-mail to FTDI chip produced no response. If you ever have a chance to buy something from FTDI Chip - DON'T!



Two days ago, I ordered the KEYSPAN USA-19HS from Amazon for just under $32, with free shipping. It arrived today, and I put it through its paces. It comes with a full-size CD. First, I removed the old driver. When I installed the Keyspan software, which must be done with the adapter disconnected, the driver went right in. (I also took the time to register the product.) A Keyspan USB Serial Adapter folder appeared on my Programs menu, and it contains a powerful and potentially useful Keyspan Serial Assistant - as well as the manual in HTML and PDF. Don't read the manual on CD - it's slow - wait to read it on your computer. The manual is excellent, tho you may not need it.



The adapter has a short detachable USB cable, which is probably fine for most applications; but if you need a longer one, you can substitute. Using the serial assistant or Start-Control Panel-System-Hardware-Ports confirmed that the newly connected serial port was COM3. The DB9-M connector has nuts for the screws on a typical serial cable, so it would not mate with the Duplimate, which also has nuts. No problem, I had the serial cable that came with the Duplimate. While using the extra cable is not as convenient, I judge this to be the correct implementation, because it will mate with captive or specialized serial cables. Because my WinDup software was already configured for COM3, I was able to fire it up and start dealing immediately. No more communications errors, no more waiting to hit Ctrl-A if the machine did not start dealing immediately. It always started dealing as soon as I inserted the next board. - Keyspan - Usb - Serial - Mac Os X'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Usb To Serial Adapter - keyspan, mac os x serial Usb To Serial Adapter - keyspan, mac os x