Saturday 13 August 2011

Sandwich Crust Cutters - sandwich, sandwich cutter


I'm really not sure how this could be any easier to use. You literally just set the sandwich centered on the bottom half and fold. It doesn't take much pressure, and the excess bread crust literally just falls off. Sometimes when I open it after removing the crust, it will sort of 'stick' in the top, but it takes nearly no pressure at all and it falls right out with the edges perfectly sealed!



I've tried everything up to this point that I could find.

- Cookie cutters make cute shapes, but they're often too small and leave oozy edges

- Specially made sandwich cutters (in the shape of hearts, dolphins, dinosaurs, etc), again they're cute and they solve the size problem, but still ooze

- A gadget from a specialty kitchen-wares company that sells through homeshows, right idea but it never quite worked, round shape wasted too much and it never really sealed well



Enter the Krustbuster!

It's so simple to use that my children can do it. Lightweight enough for them to handle, yet still feels sturdy and has held up like new to our month or so of use thus far (including dishwashing everytime). Right size and shape for 'typical' sandwich breads, minimal waste. It also works better with softer breads than I would've thought (some of our previous cutter attempts with other products simply split soft bread, not the case with the Krustbuster). But, the best part is: it works as advertised and SEALS the edges!



It gets most of it's use from peanutbutter and honey, but we'll try egg sandwiches for breakfast (maybe even toasted), hotdogs, maybe even stuffed french toast!

My son refuses to eat the "standard" sandwich for lunch because he claims they are soggy and squished by the time lunch rolls around. I have been buying Smuckers Uncrustables but they are a bit pricey at around $2.50 per box of four. I purchased the Krustbuster in hopes of saving money. Aside from the shape, a square vs. a circle, the finished product is almost identical. I have only given four stars for two reasons. First, it is a bit messy making the sandwiches, due to the peanut butter and jelly crust remnants. Secondly, the bread doesn't always line up and I often have to re-press to remove all the crust. All in all, if you are making more than four sandwiches weekly, it is worth the money.

Great idea, needs some improvement. It needs to be shaped closer to a slice of bread...so less bread is wasted and needs to be slightly sharper. We needed a blunt knife to make clean lines on the edge of the sealed sandwich. Worth getting but needs improvement to a be a wow item. My daughter prepared the pbj's a head of time and put them in the freezer. They make a great on the go snack/dinner. her daughter also enjoys meat sandwiches perpared with the krustbuster. The sealing part of this tool is very effective.

I got one of these to make my own uncrustables b/c who pays over $1 each for those? Well not me. But my kids love em and I love making lunches with them!! I used this product and it works great! It cuts and seals the edges, which is important! {because I already tried it with a biscuit cutter; jelly ooze!} I make 2 loaves of bread worth of pb&js and toss them in sandwich bags in the freezer. thaw and eat! Well worth the money; esp with special offers!

I was making uncrustables within minutes of receiving and washing this. My teenaged sons LOVED them and declared me a great lunch cook... I think this may be my favorite new kitchen gadget.



I just smeared some Goober in the middle of the bread, put it on the base, smashed it down and it was sealed nicely... no spill over and no mess at all. Then I took all the crusts out in the back yard and put them down for the deer, but I suppose you could save them and dry them out for turkey stuffing at holiday time (yum yum!) It was kind of nice having the crusts all in one pile on the counter to use up instead of having to toss out the picked at and pulled off crusts from the kid's lunch plates.



I am planning on making some with cheese in the center tomorrow and seeing how that works out for me... then maybe some kind of pizza pocket sandwich the next day. We are having fun planning uses for this.



Easy, easy, easy!



UPDATE -- We recently used some apple pie filling, sprinkling of cinnamon, buttered the top and toasted under the broiler until the center was hot. Tastes similar to a McD hot apple pie. The kids thought it was a good treat.

I had no idea that they made a Krustbuster. I have purchased those little plastic crust cutouts at the grocery store that always seem to break and I was not sure about this item but when I got it and used it, it was great! I had been buying the PP&J crustables but with this, no problem making them myself and they do seal the sandwiches. My son calls these "pie sandwiches" and we use it for all of his sandwiches. Great product and I would recommend to anyone who's child will not eat the crust from bread. - Child Care - Bento - Sandwich - Sandwich Cutter'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information