Saturday 13 August 2011

Running - running, training


I just purchased the FR60 in lilac for myself (and the men's version for my husband). Currently we are using them for high intensity interval training. The set-up was a breeze. After researching several watches I chose these based on features, price, and brand. A must for us was to be able to upload the data to our computer and graph our heart rates for the intervals. Once we set up this feature using the ANT stick (which was a three step process completely outlined on the garmin website), we were able to do this. It's awesome. After a workout I just walk into our office and within 30 seconds a box pops up on my computer asking if i'd like to see the data online.



We chose these Garmin watches over similarly functioning and priced Polar watches due to the wireless capability. For the polar watches you have to buy an additional module that you physically have to place the watch on to upload the data. I know it sounds lazy, but I prefer to just leave my sweaty watch on my wrist!



Lastly, I was concerned if the watch would fit me correctly since i have rather petite wrists. No problems there. Yes, it's bigger than my normal day-to-day watch, but i like having the larger screen to glance on while I workout. Garmin FR60 Lilac Fitness Watch (Includes Heart Rate Monitor and USB ANT Stick)

I received the FR60 for Christmas from my husband. For seven months I loved this watch, loved it as a heart rate monitor and loved it as a watch. (I don't run, so I didn't get the foot pad.) I loved being able to upload my time to the Garmin site. I was able to set goals (x number of hours a month of exercise) and see how close to goal I was. I could see my heart rate through an entire workout session, my average HR, my maximum HR, everything.



Then I wore my "resistant to 50 meters" watch in the pool. The shallow end. Water somehow seeped in and ruined the watch. Garmin will be more than happy to replace the watch for $100 because water damage is not covered. Water damage to a watch you're supposed to be able to wear in the water is not covered? I only wore the watch to work out, I never banged it or damaged it in any way.



I'm giving it one star because I think that's ridiculous.



So, if you plan on never getting it wet, maybe this is the watch for you. Or maybe you want something that's higher quality. I won't be replacing it with another Garmin product, you can bet on that.

I love the Garmin FR60. The chest strap is very comfortable. The online Garmin Connect feature is really great & easy to use.I love all the reports available. Garmin is very helpful on questions & provide fast feedback. I now also have the foot pod which I love on my runs. I'm sure there are a lot of features that I haven't used yet. It's easy to use & I like the fact that it's ready to go- no calibration. I've played around with it some. It doesn't do mileage on an ellipitical. It will record mileage & calories burned without the chest strap on runs.(I went for a run & didn't realize I had forgotten the chest strap until I was too far away from the house.) I have not tried it swimming. I know it says that it's waterproof but I was still afraid to get in the pool with it. I have used it on my bike but I don't have the accessory for my bike. It still tells heartrate & calories but not distance. I like the fact that it's not bulky on my arm. It really looks like a sports watch so I'm comfortable wearing it to the gym or on runs without calling attention to myself.I can't say enough good things about it. I have told everyone I know about how great it is. Really glad I bought it.

This is my first heart rate monitor, and as someone who has struggled with using lap/split features and storing workouts in my regular digital watch, I was very happy with how user friendly this watch is. Set up was easy to do with the quick start manual, and the directtions in the online manual were very helpful. The modes are easily to navigate, and the screen is easy to read during workouts. I primarily use this for triathlon training workouts and am very happy with it. I recently purchased the foot pod, which makes this watch far more useful during workouts. I would recommend this watch for someone looking for a basic training tool.

I bought a timex before since I was training for a run, but it only had a heartbeat monitor. I wanted to track my distance accurately. I was looking to buy the ironman timex GPS but found it was too big for my wrist. My husband bought it instead whiel I bought the fr60 with the footpod.



Well, the fr60 is great. I can train indoors and out. My husband on the other hand, had NO GPS and cannot get any since we live in the city. So basically, the timex is good for only the heartbeat monitor. Most of the features of the timex required GPS signal. he can't use it indoors too.



The FR60 is also very user friendly, with the large numbers on the screen. You an easily navigate the features. I bought it with the footpod and it tracks my laps accurately.



I loved it so much we bought 2 more (total 3) one for my husband, and one for our running friend. I highly recommend this watch for anyone considering buying a training watch. - Training - Running - Watches - Garmin'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information