Friday 5 August 2011

Gun Books - guns, defense


It's about time a woman wrote something for women that actually takes into account real women's issues. We don't have the same body shape or size as men. We have other responsibilities than men have. She starts off with the basics of why it is really worth it to carry a concealed weapon. She's talking to you, the mom, the grandma, the sister, the college student, etc. I've had discussions with other women before about where exactly we're supposed to carry a concealed gun and still appear fashionable (i.e. not appearing to have gained an extra few inches around the waist or having to wear the ugly vests or fanny pack). She goes through all the options (even including how to attach a thigh holster). How do I pick the best gun for my small hands? What should I bring with me to a firing range? This book is great for both the beginner and for the advanced. She brings in many aspects that you will have to deal with in all honesty...like how to use a portapotty while carrying your gun. She is also a Christian and makes reference to Biblical support for some of what she says. As an added bonus, this is just a fun book to read. She is amusingly honest. You might learn something too along the way. I would recommend this book to all women and those who want to help a woman learn how to use a gun. The Cornered Cat: A Woman's Guide to Concealed Carry

The Cornered Cat is a comprehensive view of self defense, focused primarily on a woman's viewpoint of defensive firearms. Kathy Jackson writes in a rich, clear tone, addressing both humorous and serious topics appropriately. As a police firearms instructor for over 12 years, I found Jackson's observations to be logical and practical. I even learned a few things that will be personally useful and will help me better teach female students.

Dynamic physical movements and skills are difficult to convey using only the written word. Although Jackson does an outstanding job, a few line drawings or black & white photos would have enhanced the material.

I strongly recommend this book for anyone, female or male, that is considering the need to take responsibility for their own security.

Kathy Jackson not only knows firearms and self defense she does it with a style that we can all understand. Reading her book is like sitting down and talking to your best friend. This book is as valuable to men as it is to women. Gary Slider Handgunlaw.us

This is going to be one of those books that I buy twice so that I have a lending copy and a keeping copy. I've already lent it to one of my female friends who is learning to shoot. There's a good amount of gender-neutral information in the book -- the author's discussions of safety rules, the ethics behind use of force, and making sure that you stay on the right side of the law are good reading for anyone interested in guns. However, there's a lot in here that specifically addresses womens' questions as well. When I was taking a three day pistol class, I joked with my friends that I had to ask three guys how to go to the bathroom with a gun on... and none of them knew! (You don't want to accidentally drop the thing in the toilet, or freak out the woman in the next stall!) Kathy Jackson knows, she's happy to tell you, and I wish I'd had that kind of helpful advice from someone who's been there back then. She talks about issues that commonly come up for women, from finding the right gun that fits your grip to navigating possible complexities in your relationship if your partner is bothered by your choice in self defense to the realities of adjusting holster and draw methods designed for male bodies to fit you if you're curvier. Most of the people who ask me for help learning to shoot are female; I'm glad to have this resource to point them at which specifically addresses our concerns and experiences.

This is a must read for any women who wants to get her head wrapped around a true self-defense mind set. Readers will enjoy the straight forward writing by this female author who knows her topic well. I am in the process of developing classes for women in self-defense with a handgun and will be using this book as recommended reading for all my students. This reading will make a great gift from any man who wants to provide self-defense education to a woman he cares about. This book is not just for women but for anyone who is interested in personal protection.

After reading a handful of other self-defense and firearm books geared toward women I have finally stumbled upon an amazing informative book. I am quite familiar with Kathy Jackson's website as well as her writings in USCCA. She is very knowledgeable and brings to the public a much needed book spoken in clear concise terms. Although she states this book is meant for women, I feel that both genders would benefit from this book even if only to help the men in our lives understand the obstacles us women have when it comes to carrying/shooting. I discussed some of her tips and ideas with my husband (an NRA instructor) and he felt this book was excellent in so many ways. She takes the basics of self defense and use of firearms and then breaks it down even further for even the very beginner to comprehend. Kathy uses language in her book that neither belittles women nor treats them as a lesser, weaker species. She touches upon some emotional and moral aspects of using self-defense in a way that allows the individual to do some deep introspection. She discusses both sides of issues and backs up her own beliefs and actions with level-headed reasoning while also stating, "this is how I do it, it may not be how you do it".

As a shooter and avid belief in self-defense being an individual responsibility not to be taken lightly, I have found Kathy's book to be the very best book in this category I have read to date. I highlighted many parts in this book for further reference and believe I have walked away from this book a more educated person who is committed to not becoming a victim. - Guns - Concealed Carry - Defense - Self Defense'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Gun Books - guns, defense guns Gun Books - guns, defense