Saturday 2 July 2011

Plastic Cleaner - headlights, meguiars


I bought this stuff all skeptical and thinking it'd maybe give my headlights that wet, still scratched up look that some products give them.

Well I'll be darned if it didn't shine them up like new! Never noticed there was writing on the headlamp before. With this stuff the Infiniti shows right up. No more haze, no more embarassment, and no more cloudy nights.

Don't believe me? Check out the pic I uploaded under "customer pictures".

It's frickin amazing! Meguiar's G12310 PlastX Clear Plastic Cleaner and Polish -10 oz.

I have a white 2007 Acura TL Type-S with a 3M clear bra. I was in-between moves for a few months over the winter, and didn't have any of my detailing equipment with me at the time.



When we finally got settled, the clear bra was a nice shade of brown compared to the bright white of the paint. I tried most everything I had in my garage to get it cleaned off, but it wouldn't come off. Klasse All-In-One did the best of everything I tried, but even then, it still wasn't clean.



I did a search for what people have been using to clean these, and a few people recommended this product. I ordered it figuring it might work okay, but wasn't expecting much for the $7 it costs.



I taped off the seams of the clear bra so I wouldn't get the Plastx on the paint. Then, I put the Plastx on an orange pad and used my Porter Cable to buff it along the clear bra. It was unreal how quickly this stuff took out the dirt on the bra. I did 1/2 of the bra, and immediately grabbed everyone in the vicinity (wife, neighbors, etc) to come look at the amazing new look of my car. Everyone was impressed.



Last night, I used it on the headlights of a neighbors 1998 Honda Civic. They were almost opaque from years of being out in the sun and on the road. I taped off the paint surrounding each light, and spent ~3 minutes on one light. Stepped back to look at the difference between the two, and it was amazing. Just then, my neighbor stepped into the garage and was blown away at how much "newer" the headlight looked compared to the other one.



This is really great stuff, and it worked excellent on the two items I've used it on so far. I'll definitely be recommending it to everyone I know, as well as buying another bottle once mine runs out.



Good work, Meguiar's!!

Before this product, I was using Meguiar's 2 part plastic polishing kit on almost everything- from CD's, computer monitors, watch screens, gps, etc. So after one of the bottles (meguiar's 10) ran out, I decided to try this product, as it was advertised as a one step cleaner-polish. While it did do the job of cleaning things up, I found that the polish portion of PlastX did not necessarily fill in the fine scratches quite as effectively as the standalone Meguiar 10 polish. Not only that, but the protective coating wore off after a few months, returning the headlights to it's post sanded haze.



So bottom line is, only use this kit if you plan on doing plastic restoration on a continual basis. Otherwise, I would definitely recommend Meguiar's 10 + Meguiar's 17 as a more potent, long-lasting combo.

My Toyota Matrix is going on 7 years old since I purchased it new. The headlights I noticed were not very yellow but were starting to get a haze. I researched many products and was just about to purchase the 3-M kit but felt that my headlights were not that far gone yet. When I went to my local auto store looking for products to clear the headlamps I saw this Meguiar's product and decided to try it. I was a bit skeptical but after one application to one headlight I was amazed comparing it to the untreated headlight. I wish I had a picture to show you the difference but both are showroom new and you can clearly see the bulbs! I gave each headlamp 2 applications but no difference to one.

I bought this after reading all about the other products & reviews many that seemed to take a lot of work needing a buffer and intense work. I received this product last week for my 2000 Maxima SE that "had" quite cloudy and a mild yellow Film over the headlights and side parking light lens. I took a damp sponge outside with me with the intent to just try it out. It took all of a minute to do one headlight! I wiped on the white fluid with the sponge in a circular motion and removed it with a soft microfiber cloth. It was unbelievable how fast it took to bring my headlights back to new.

The Body shop I used to repair a small parking lot hit and run told Me I needed to replace the whole headlight assemblies at a cost of $400, his cost! He said the damage is caused by moisture seeping into the interior of the headlights! He may be right about some headlights but he was either lying about mine trying to make some more cash or didn't know what in the H*** he was talking about.

For some of you that may have severe filming with dark yellow like on many of the 15 year Old Ford Taurus's I can't say if this will work for you as well but I will try it on some friends cars and update my review. I wish I had taken a before and after picture. I difference a few minutes of wiping this product on my headlights made was amazing. Later that night I went out for a ride. I started getting people flashing their highbeams at me like the good old days believing I had my high beams on which was quite common when the headlights were clear! Sorry for rambling on but for under $8.00 I was so excited something so Cheap lived up to its advertising. My Car has been maintained since I bought it new in late 1999 looking like new except for the horrible looking headlights I thought needed replacing. It wasn't until I watched a episode of the PBS show Motorweek that I realized my "problem" might have a cheaper answer. This was IT! Highly recommend!!

I just used this stuff on my car's headlights. They are now so much clearer and my headlights now appear brighter. I did not use the suggested applicator. I just got an old non-scratch kitchen sponge and used the scrubby side for a minute or two.

My father tried it on the back window of his convertible and it work well too.

I highly recommend this product! - Plastic Cleaner - Meguiars - Headlights - Cleaner'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Plastic Cleaner - headlights, meguiars cleaner Plastic Cleaner - headlights, meguiars