Sunday 24 July 2011

Compact Photo Printer - photo printer, photosmart


I am a photographer so finding a compact printer to take with me is something I need to have at hand. I have the Canon Selphy 510 which takes the ink ribbon and the postcard paper (4x6).



I told myself I would never buy an HP printer since they were never that great. I took the chance and got this one since I had a gift card and figured it was worth investing in it. I wanted a compact printer that prints up to 5x7 and HP was the only one available that did that. When I first printed from it, I didn't like the way the colors printed. It felt like they bled in too much and there was no separation on the colors. However I was printing from my camera to the printer via usb pictbridge. So I did the one thing I should have done in the first place. I went to the colorspace on the printer screen and changed the colorspace to Adobe RGB. The colorspace on my camera was Adobe RGB and when 2 different colorspaces are set you are bond to get colors that don't look good or match what you see on your screen. So by changing the colorspace on the printer (its automatically set to auto) I was able to solve my color problem. Mostly all cameras are set on Adobe RGB. To change the colorspace on your printer go to the wrench icon, next go to PREFERENCES, scroll down until you get to colorspace and select Adobe RGB.



Your images should now print much much better and closer to what you see on your screen. Mine came out even better after changing the colorspace.



Also I have read the other reviews the bad ones too and realize that many people don't seem to do enough research on the printer before they even buy it. I haven't tried the bluetooth yet and wouldn't bother since phone cameras are not so great in the first place and you can't expect the printer to print high quality images from a phone. Its rather annoying when people complain that their phone pictures didn't come out great like the printer would magically fix the crappy camera phone quality. PLEASE!! If you want to print pictures from your phone I recommend the Polaroid PoGo printer for $50 you can get prints at 2x3 which is wallet size and it does print okay. Not 100% excellent but good enough to make you happy to have that little printer.



I love the fact that it takes larger than 4x6 paper, the touch screen rocks and the fact that it came with its own bag is sweet.



Also I recommend buying the ink by itself and getting the paper on sale. People don't seem to realize that they can get the paper on sale for much cheaper than what it costs. I bought a box of 5x7 50 pack for less than $8 and a box of 4x6 for under $10. If you buy things for less you do save more on ink and prints.



The only cons I have with this printer is that it does print a bit slower than I would like for a 5x7. However the print quality is set to best so I would believe that is why it prints slow. If it was set to normal or even fast normal I'm sure the speed would be much faster. I also don't like the fact that it doesn't take compact flash cards but it does accept pictbridge.



All in all I was glad that I like the printer. Also I am still using the ink that came with it. I have already printed 5 5x7 size prints and still have ink to spare, although I am sure I will run out quickly since I am printing larger sizes. It says it can print up to 15 4x6s on the ink that came with it which everyone should know is how all printers are. I also think that they based it on normal printing not BEST printing quality.



*Read the whole specifications about the printer before you buy so you know what it is saying. I hear too many people complaining how the printer doesn't have this or that, well you should have read what it comes with before you buy it! Its called research. That's why I got this because I liked what it said and was worth a shot buying. HP Photosmart A646 Compact Photo Printer (CC001A#B1H)

I bought a few HP printers years back. Switched to Canon for the next 4 because they are more consumer friendly in the matter of ink cartridges. My wife bought this HP Photosmart A646 today. Read the fine print, buyer. The included ink cartridge is "introductory". We got about 12 prints out of it, not counting of course the failed ink first print and the finals that discolor. Buy a cartrdige too when you buy this printer.



I was bluntly reminded of HP's arrogance. It costs them next to NOTHING to include a normal cartridge v.s. an "introductory" one with the new printer purchased. And its a given they will appreciate good profits on the cartridges we will be buying for it in the future. It never ceases to amaze me that a corporation that is stingy, gouging and manipulative believes I would overlook such an attitude when readying to purchase my next laptop, or other computing gear. The fact is, my near term next purchase - a netbook - will NOT be an HP because of such now recalled HP arrogance. Their behavioral choice - my choice with my money.



After 12 prints the printer seems fine for my wife - ease of use and output, although she had trouble getting it to see devices via its bluetooth - more trouble than for the devices she was pairing to it. We'll see how it goes longer term. - Hp - Photosmart - Compact Photo Printer - Photo Printer'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information