Sunday 24 July 2011

Coffee Maker - light weight, gsi


We recently bought the GSI Personal Coffee Press along with the GSI manual grinder for use in making small daily coffee batches at home and when we camp. They work very well in both situations, which is pretty remarkable.



The Personal Java Press combines a reasonably durable and effective 2-3 cup plastic coffee press with a 1-1.5 cup insulated mug that nests inside for transport. The nesting feature makes this a fairly space efficient and very weight efficient coffee maker and mug combination for 1-2 people to use while camping. The capacity is also perfect for the individual or couple who needs fresh coffee every morning and doesn't like reheating old coffee from a larger automatic mater. (We have a 12 cup automatic drip, that really doesn't make good coffee in quantities smaller than 4 cups.) It works well using ground coffee, but you do get a small amount of sediment. You do get less sediment using a courser grind, and the Press works very well with the GSI hand grinder when you set it at a medium peculator grind (only a little courser than high volume store brands but a lot courser than a fresh ground drip or espresso grind).



The cylindrical shape and lack of a protruding spout means that some of the coffee you pour soaks into foam insulation, so it is best to do the pouring over a spill friendly counter. The cylindrical cup is also very difficult to drink from without dripping because it has no lip. The lid for both the cup and the press work well for keeping heat in without taking up space, but are a compromise between preventing spills and allowing access for pouring or sipping. Basically I would suggest the cup is very useful for camping, and just too messy and awkward for use as a regular mug at home or as a travel mug separate from the press.



If I were rating this for value as a coffee system for car camping for a couple, I would give this a 5-plus. As either a 1 or 2 person home coffee system or a backpacking system it rates a 4. Overall, as a compliment to a larger coffee maker (for company) I would rate it a 4.5.



I bought this product for its price, my previous experience with GSI products and because there are two articles in one, the press and the mug. The last one can be placed within the first one to save space, and well, when you camp one important point is to save space, no matter if you are backpacking or doing car camping. In general other reviewers have already said many things about this product, but overall I have had no problems when I serve the coffee to one cup or to the included mug. I pour the coffee mug in a "normal" way, but carefully as you normally would do it with any other french press, no hurries and have not had problems spilling coffee when serving the coffee in my mug.



Another important feature is that in my experience, there's no a 100% efficient java presses (french presses) to prevent sediments from coffee beans in to the bottom of the mug. There are some better than others, but no 100% effective when filtering the liquid. This coffee is one of the best I've ever had. The filter (mesh) fits very well into the container and the pores or holes of the mesh are small enough to make a decent job with the sediments.



The coffee stays hot for a while. I guess this is due in part to the lid of the mug and the neoprene cover, but if you want to have a hot coffee for over several hours this is not the product you need, get a thermo with the java press instead.



However, something I did not like is that the lid that comes with the mug is not very comfortable to drink from it, at least not for me. It could be better if GSI make a lid similar to those regular lids or covers provided in the cups that you get in a regular coffee shop. However, so far at this time the liquid has not drained out of my lips and my clothes have remained without coffee stains.



I gave 4 stars because this lid issue. But in general is undoubtedly one of the best products that you can get, whether for home or camping, so it is highly recommended.



By the way, measures of the coffee press are: 5.5" (h) x 4" (diameter)

If you enjoy your multi day backpacking/hiking and you must have your coffee, this is an awesome product. Now Im not a super ultra lightweight backpacker enthusiest, but I try to keep the weight down as much as possible. There are more weight effecient ways to make coffee but this is super conveinent and works great. I always bring it with me on my multi day hikes and put it in my pack- its a good buy-

As long as you have the means of heating some water, this is a great coffee maker for camping, especially if you are making coffee for just one person (although I'd say it makes enough for two, but only comes with one cup). I like the way the coffee cup nests inside the maker to save space and it's very quick and easy to assemble. My only complaint is that it seemed to dribble a little bit each time I poured the coffee from the maker into the cup. May have been user error...perhaps I didn't have the lid on quite right. Over all, I definitely recommend this. - Light Weight - Coffee Press - Gsi - Coffee Maker - Travel Press'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information