Monday 27 June 2011

Under Monitor Surge Protector - power strip, surge protector


Bought two of these for my home office. The cost of electricity just when up 38% per kilowatt hour by me. First strip is in an equipment rack controlling network gear like DSL modem, firewall, Enet switches, KVM switch, monitor, speakers. It's worked fine.



The second strip is in my office controlling the desk top PC, 3 printers with print servers, various USB hubs, speakers, monitor and such. A problem has come up when using it with the desk top PC. Using the power strip switch to turn on the PC causes the individual switch to fry. And it's stuck in the ON position with the light illuminated, not a failsafe design.



Happened to two positions on the power strip. Measured the peak and steady state watt draw of the PC, I'm and engineer and have such instruments, and it's way within the power strip specs. Using a different power strip with a switch on the PC has never been a problem, that's what I used before. Removed the laser printer from the power strip just in case.



I'll replace the power strip switches rather than RMA the entire power strip. Internally the wiring and outlets can handle the advertised load but the switches cannot. American DJ PC-100A 8 Channel Power Strip with Lighted Toggles

Gas prices are skyrocketing, and so are energy costs. Every electronic you have plugged in, even when off, is using electricity. So why not cut power to your blender, TV or computer when you're not using it and save some dough?



I wanted a way to manage my computer peripherals (like external hard drive, scanner, printer, etc.) by a) allowing them to be plugged into a UPC backup that has limited outlets, and b) allowing me to pick and choose what I wanted powered up to save energy. I searched high and low for a power strip that had individual switches for each outlet. A couple do exist, but it seemed so inconvenient to have plugs and switches right next to each other along a standard power strip.



This power switch center, which was designed for DJs using multiple lighting and audio equipment, is the perfect answer. I don't know why they aren't marketed for computer users and TV entertainment system junkies.



With 8 outlets in the back and individual switches in the front, the cords are kept neatly away from view and the switches are easily accessible. The 3-prong outlets are set up with the grounding prong on top, so your unwieldy plugs with the bulky power supply boxes plug in nicely even if you set this guy on a flat surface (it's designed to be rack-mounted). The outlets are also spaced nicely apart so you don't have to waste any because of the power supplies. Larger power supplies might impede adjacent outlets, but I managed to alternate power-supplied plugs with regular ones which fit in the tight spaces.



There is also a handy reset button on the front if you should ever have a power surge. With a metal casing and solid switches with red LEDs, it's build pretty solidly. The 6' cord is also heavy-duty.



So let's think outside the box, people. Even though this was designed for DJs, it's perfect for your home, especially if you want to be green and save some green.

I am an extremely happy owner of two of these units. The first one went in with my home entertainment system, fitting perfectly right on top of the dvd player. The second I used in my home office to control power to my computer, monitor, printer, router, etc. Rarely, if ever, do I need to have all of these components energized at once, and now I don't have to. The ability to power on only the components that I want to use will put a dent in my electric bill, while the convenience of having all the switches right up front coupled with the aesthetics of hiding all the cords in the back is probably worth the price alone. The fact that over time each unit will pay for itself was a major factor in deciding to buy them, but now seems like a bonus.



The only thing I can compare this to is a standard power strip, as that is what it replaces, but there is no competition- the only analogy I can think of is going from a bicycle to a BMW. In my home office I had to use two regular power strips to accommodate all of the components, with the strips and all the cords jumbled on the floor behind my desk- a real mess. Now, with just one of these power centers handling all the loads, I've hidden all the cords up and out of sight, nearly invisible now. The switches are individually numbered and easily accessible: I get big-time electrical savings coupled with extreme convenience.



The dimensions of the unit make it easy to find space for it. While the max width is 19", the actual width of the unit is only 17", just like any standard dvd player, cable box, etc. The extra inch on each side is for the rack mounts, but those are very thin and can just lay in front if you have a space not quite wide enough to hold them. At only 1.75" tall and 4" deep, it doesn't require much space and leaves you room in the back for the various cords to plug into it.



I cannot think of anything but good things to say about this product. If I needed another for any reason I would buy it in a heartbeat. - Power Strip - Surge Protector - Under Monitor Surge Protector - Power Center'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Under Monitor Surge Protector - power strip, surge protector power center Under Monitor Surge Protector - power strip, surge protector