Monday 27 June 2011

Silicone Skin - silicone skin, keyboard protector


The product fits exactly as advertised to my laptop keyboard. I looked at all other products and reviews. I would say this product is different because it has anti-bacterial to prevent germs from spreading which seem others do not. I thought this is important with all the stuff that gets on the keyboard. The other plus is no cutting to make it fit to the keyboard. This is my reason why I gave it a 5 star.



I noticed one post saying the product does not fit between the keys on the keyboard. I thought the picture showed exactly as advertised as being flat. KaPlur SIZES 15.6" - 19" Laptop Keyboard Skin Protector - Fits 15.6 to 19" Keyboards

I followed the advice of another review and bought the larger size (I have a 14.1" laptop). It covers all of my keys and I have a little extra hanging on the length. It does what I need it to do--protects from hair (I have a few dogs, so hair is everywhere), from crumbs/dust and in general oil from my fingers etc. It is easy to clean--I usually leave it on and just wipe with a wet microfiber cloth (just be sure not to use any detergents if you choose to remove it an clean it). My only complaint is that it doesn't really "stick" to my laptop (I would give it 4.5 stars, but that's not possible here). It's opaque and not difficult to see the letters on the keys. It does quiet the noise of my typing (before my keyboard was really loud, so loud that I could disrupt a lecture if I used my laptop) but does not totally eliminate it.



Overall, I would purchase it again if I needed to because it suits my needs.

Had it since January. It still sticks nicely to my keys. It does accumulate dust and skin cells, but I just squirt some foam hand sanitizer on top, rub it around and wipe it off with a napkin, and it's nice and clean again. Whoever took their keyboard skin off to clean it, shouldn't have. Obviously it's not gonna stick again.

What this product does well:

-Protect keys from crumbs, hair, dust, and other debris that gets stuck under keys

-Makes keyboard a little quieter/softer when typing



What this product is not/does not do (or things I would not trust it do reliably)

-Does not protect keyboard from liquid spills

-Is not completely transparent



It sticks to my laptop ... mostly. Like, it sticks, but if you pick at it, or mess with the corners, or you bring it near a 5-year-old who thinks it's fun to poke at, it's going to stop sticking. Mine stopped sticking thanks to a combination of the aforementioned factors. I just rinsed it off with some water, let it air dry, and now it's back to sticking as well as it did before. Like I said though, I don't think it sticks well enough that I'd trust it to protect my laptop from a liquid spill.



As far as transparency goes -- it is see-through if you're looking at it from above. If you're the type of person who sits at a desk to use your laptop, the product picture is fairly accurate for how it'll look to you. However, if you're the kind of person who lays on the couch/in bed with your laptop, and you tend to look at the keyboard from a lower angle, this cover pretty much turns your keyboard into a blank slate of white translucent-ness.



Bottom line: I'm glad I bought this, or at least, I'm glad that all the dust that accumulates on this cover is no longer going into my keyboard. If you really dig the anti-microbial thing, then buy this one, but if you just want something to protect your keys, I think next time I need one of these, I'll try one of the cheaper ones instead.

This doesn't contour to the shape of your keyboard, but it does protect it. Depending on the mold of your laptop they may or may not protect from spills, it will not protect from big spills, also not it doesn't protect your touchpad. You can clearly see the keys through this. This doesn't stick by adhesive, it's a rubber type of material that natually stickts to smooth surfaces. If your laptop has a matte finish or molded pattern, this product will still work, it just may not stick as well.

Other than that it gives the keyboard that "industrial" look, I have few complaints. If you touch type, it will take some getting used to. It tends to confuse your fingers by blunting the edges of keys. The visual effect is so not-nice that I was tempted to do without, but logic intervened. It sticks properly and is the right size for a widescreen 15 or 17 inch laptop. It's an improvement over the thinner types that might rip apart. I wonder why it's not more clear?

The KaPlur Laptop Keyboard Skin Protector (sizes 15/6"- 19")is my first keyboard cover, and it does take some getting used to. It makes typing feel very different. If I were trying to do a lot of rapid typing, I would not like this thing because I can't feel the slight depression on my keys so I seem to hit in between keys now. The benefit of protecting the keyboard from crumbs and dust means, however, that I will continue trying to get used to this new feel. I was hoping the silicone would be thinner than it is. My vision isn't great and the slightly opaque cover makes seeing the keys a little difficult.



Although my laptop screen measure 14" on the diagonal, I ordered this larger size skin because I figured it would be better to cut it down than to not have it large enough. This skin measures 14 5/8" X 5 11/16" - Keyboard Protector - Dust Covers - Silicone Skin'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information