Monday 20 June 2011

Plantronics Discovery 925 - discovery 925, headset


OK, I splurged. I usually don't spend this much on a headset. I've actually owned a ton of them over the past few years (check out some of my older reviews). Most of them were cheap sub-$30 headsets. Let me just say, "I can't believe the difference."



After doing some research here and on Plantronics' website, I pulled the trigger. I'm using this with two phones; my Sony Ericsson W580i and my BlackBerry 8310.



Pros:



- First off, the sound quality of this headset is awesome. It is crystal-clear on my end and zero-complaints on the other. No more sounding like I'm in a tunnel. I assume this is the AudioIQ technology doing it's thing.



- Secondly, the headset is super-lightweight and this equals comfort. I was skeptical at first about just popping this in my ear without a hook. Once I picked the right size ear-thingy, it fits perfect and I can barely notice it's there. Even after a few hours of wearing it (I know, I'm a geek) I barely notice it. I can do the "shake-your-head" test and this stays in place.



Cons:



- The charging "case" is cool, but I have a hard time getting the headset out of it sometimes. Thankfully, I can just plug the adapter right into the headset, bypassing the need for the extra bulk.



- The price; but honestly, after spending more on a collection of "less impressive" headsets over the past few years, you really do get what you pay for.



Highly recommended for it's sharp looks, perfect clarity and ultra-comfort. Plantronics Discovery 925 Bluetooth Earpiece (Black, Retail Packaging)

What I was looking for: I wanted a Bluetooth headset for my iPhone 3G and PS3 for gaming and thus needed one with multipoint technology. I've had cheap headsets before, and have learned that when it comes to headsets, you get what you pay for. So I wasn't afraid to pay a little more for quality. After doing research, it seemed that the jawbone, discovery 925, and blueant V9 were the highest rated headsets in my pricerange. The jawbone gets far more press than the other 2. I didn't know much about blueant, so I focused on the jawbone II and the 925. There aren't many reviews that compare the 2 that satisfied me. So I went with the jawbone II. I wasn't satisfied so I returned the jawbone and bought the 925. So here is my comparison.



Noise cancellation/isolation: Of all the options, sound isolation seems to separate the high end headsets from the lower end models. Jawbone touts the noise assassin. This requires a vibration sensor to maintain constant contact on your cheek (hence the name "jawbone") to be able to determine when you're talking and thus cancel out other sounds. Inherently, this requires a good fit. Most reviews criticize the less than perfect fit. Mine fit fine, and noise isolation was excellent. Even with music playing and the windows rolled down. The 925 utilizes audioIQ technology. Most negative reviews say it is not as effective as the noise assassin, and complain that it is very sensitive to the wind. I found that audioIQ did not work nearly as well as the noise assassin. Sometimes it would amplify ambient noise, perhaps it interpreted it as my voice? Sensitivity to the wind was not as extreme as some reviewers complained about. It was no worse than talking on my iPhone in the wind.



Incoming sound quality: I thought the jawbone sound quality was acceptable. There seems to be an emphasis on the high frequencies. The 925 was much better, up to par with my iPhone's sound. At the highest volume level, I found the 925 to have some distortion. Both only have 1 volume button. The 925's button toggles between 3 levels of volume.



Outgoing (voice) sound quality: I think the tradeoff for great sound isolation is poor voice quality. By far the 925 won in this category. It was up to par with a land line, when it worked. For example, when there was a lot of ambient noise, I still had to speak loudly for the earpiece to distinguish it from the noise. The jawbone's sound quality was at most acceptable. Most people would ask me to repeat myself. Some said it was obvious I was using a headset. Some thought I was on speakerphone or said it sounded like I was in an auditorium. Fit was not a problem, the sensor always maintained firm contact to my cheek. I also noticed that sound isolation would clip the very beginning of each sentence. For instance my "Yes" would become "-es".



Comfort: By far, the 925 was more comfortable and easier to apply. It utilizes gels (3 sizes) that hold it in place in your ear without an earloop. I wore this playing a game for 2 hours, without discomfort. I shook my head hard without it getting loose or falling out. The jawbone uses a combination of gels (3 sizes) and earloops (plastic or leather, 2 sizes each). I played around with every combination and eventually came back to the default size that came in the box. The jawbone is awkward at first, but you get used to it. It is a bit clumsy to get on and off however. In the beginning, I was very paranoid that the noise assassin sensor was not touching my cheek and had to check repeatedly.



Multipoint: Jawbone, as far as I am aware, does not support multipoint technology. It did however pair with my PS3. Pairing the 925 with both the iphone and PS3 was a bit confusing at first. You have to turn multipoint on first, then pair each one at a time. You switch from one device to the other with the multifunction button. Several times, my headset interfered with my controller (also Bluetooth) when I switched it on during a game. I've read that this is a common occurance with bluetooth headsets and the PS3. I've played probably a total of 20 hrs with this headset, and encountered this problem twice. Another reviewer stated he had to pair his headset with the iPhone everyday. I did not encounter this problem. Be aware that multipoint drains your battery faster.



Range: Both maintained pairing to about 30 feet (rough estimate). The 925 had static at about feet. The jawbone was fine at about 30 feet. I did not push their limits however.



Multifunction button: each uses a single multifunction button which are comparable. The jawbone's buttons are integrated in the design, so you actually don't see the buttons, you just know where they are. An annoying feature is the led light, which is on the multifunction button. So when you are pushing the button to turn it on, you can't see when the light is coming on.



Charging: I have to admit, the jawbone has a cool magnetic charger which attaches itself to the headset. Be sure to check that your charging light is on. Once I had attached the charger and it wasn't seated correctly. The 925 comes with a case that has a built-in battery with enough juice for a full charge, which is really cool IMO. It looks big in the picture, but measures about 4 x 1.25 x 1.25 inches, a little bulky for pant pockets. The case itself still is a nice feature to protect the headset. I hung my jawbone on my shirt and ended up bending the earloop. Scared me at first, but I was able to bend it back.



Conclusion: Unless you'll be consistently using your headset in a noisy environment, I'd recommend the 925 over the Jawbone II. It beats the jawbone, IMO, in every category except noise cancellation. Incoming and outgoing sound is much better on the 925, making it's performance much more consistent. The most common criticism of the 925 is its sensitivity to wind. Multipoint pairs with iPhone and the PS3. Remember the PS3 can have issues with bluetooth headsets interfering with their bluetooth controller's connection. - Bluetooth - Discovery 925 - Headset - Plantronics'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information