Friday 17 June 2011

Grizzly - dust, dust collectors


I was going to get the Delta 50-850 but this one includes standard 1 micron bags so I decided to get the 50-760 instead. Set up took about 15 minutes including fumbling with the bag and the exterior band strap. Delta includes an interior flexible band & a band strap to mount the bottom bag with. I suppose out of habit I used the band strap but the flex band seems a lot easier and I will probably switch bag mounting methods next time I empty it. The unit runs a lot quieter than I had imagined and seems to have more than enough power to collect the dust from my shop. With 2 clear chip bags 1 micron collection and the cfm rating this machine is hard to beat. I do not see having to upgrade to anything larger. DELTA 50-760 1.5HP 1,200 CFM Vertical Bag Dust Collector

I received my 50-760 late last year. Even though I have been receiving items damaged from Amazon, the dust collector made it without any problems at all.



Assembly was a snap, fit and finish was very good.



I am still running the DC at 120v, but will be wiring to 240v after I put in the 240v outlet.



I currently use the DC in a ducted metal pipe environment. I come off vertically with 6 inch spiral pipe (5 inch to 6 inch expander from machine), run up to ceiling, run over 16 feet, then head down to the floor with 5 inch pipe. I have multiple branches off this vertical pipe, and run 5 inch hose to the woodworking machines via home-made blast gates. Eventually I will expand the system to other machines, but since the existing ductwork and run lengths are the longest that I will be using, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that the future enhancements will also work just as good as the existing hookups.



Performance with the above set-up is great. I have great airflow and suction, and the amount of dust and sawdust has been reduced tremendously in the woodshop.



Noise level is not a problem. While not quiet, the noise level is less than my shop vac was. Since the DC is in a corner of the woodshop, it is at least a fair bit away from me. Eventually I will add a wooden panel or two around the unit to block some of the direct noise.



I am glad that I purchased the unit. It handles my woodworking needs at a low cost and with a small footprint. No regrets on purchasing the unit.



I can't wait to hook up the rest of my machines!

I've had this collector for several weeks now and I'm very happy with it. Based on another reviewer's input I purchased a 20 gallon can to use as a chip separator, but after taking measurements I decided that a 30 gallon can would fit. I will post a photo to show how it looks.



This makes an almost perfect system for a garage shop where mobility is key. You end up with a powerful, self contained separator/collector that has a small footprint.



Update: For those who are interested the connection on the top of the can is a 5" straight pipe connected to the collector port with 5" flexible hose. The connection on the side of the can is a 4" ninety degree elbow which is angled to direct the flow slightly downward around the side of the can. I cut the holes in the can with a jig saw and attached the ports with silicone calk.

I received my unit with a slightly damaged motor housing that was cosmetic only (like most other reviewers). No other flaws. Assembly about 1 hour. Have used it for about a year now with no problems at all. It has far better suction than a 650cfm unit and this enables you to use floor vacuums (like the one sold by grizzly with the wheels on it) and a cleaner shop. The one micron bag is nice. The unit is tall but has the smallest footprint of any dust collector with this amount of power.



The best part of this dust collector is the ability to add a shopmade seperator ON THE SAME FOOTPRINT. All other dust collectors force you to use up additional floor space for the seperator. If you turn wet wood or use a planer then dust collector input hose will get clogged from long strands and everything grinds to a halt (regardless of dust collector model). The trick is to add a seperator. To add a seperator to this unit you make a plywood floor for the bottome of the unit. Then you place a 20 gallon metal trash can under the motor unit on the platform you just added. The lid is just a piece of round plywood with two holes cut in it, one 5 inch hole for the suction intake to the motor, and one 4 inch hole for the hose to the tool. Use a glue gun to seal around the hoses where they enter the lid. Altogether should take an hour to build. I tried numerous rubber trash cans but this dust collector imploded all of them, you have to use a steel can. All commercial seperator lids are for 5 or 30 gallon cans. 5 gallon cans are toys for people using shopvacs, and a 30 gallon can wont fit on this models stand. I bought the 20 gallon steel can at a Menards.



My only complaint is the same as most of these mobile tools--I wish it came with bigger wheels so it could jump a power cord. The tubular frame does not look like it will tolerate bigger wheels but maybe I will get around to trying that eventually.

I can see how many have reported damage from shipping. The top of the motor is not well protected in the packaging. I bought mine locally to save the headache.



Assembly is very easy and all the parts fit perfectly. There are two choices for connecting the clear, plastic bag: large quick release band clamp, or large felt o-ring. The top bag connects with the large felt o-ring and it seems easier to me than using the clamp. I opted to attach the plastic collection bag using the o-ring. It works well.



There are also two choices for mounting the motor and blower assembly. You can assemble it with the motor on top and the inlet on the bottom as shown in the photos, or the other way around with the motor on the bottom and the inlet on the top. This makes it convenient for folks who want to install overhead duct work.



This machine is much larger than you might imagine. It's 83" (almost 7 feet) tall and occupies 35" X 19" floor space, which is a small foot print - it's the height that is a shocker.



The machine comes with a 5" X 4" X 4" wye fitting. You can hook up one 5" hose or duct (odd size), or two 4" hoses. This puzzles me because a 1.5 hp machine is not really suited for more than one machine at a time and most folks would put a wye further away from the machine. I used a 5" to 6" adapter and went with 6" ducting with 6" to 4" reducers at most machines except my 15" planer, which I ducted 6" all the way.



I have about 32 feet of 6" metal duct work with 3 wyes and 6 blast gates to shut off either entire parts of the system or just individual machines. Much to my surprise, it works great. I was worried that this machine would lack the power to handle sophisticated duct work. I run only one machine's blast gate open at a time. I also have a floor sweep that connects directly to the 6" duct. It's fun to use. You just sweep a pile of sawdust with 4 to 6 inches of the floor sweep and it sucks it right up.



I run a 15" Jet planer with a 6" duct and it has so far kept up with fairly aggressive passes on 12" wide stock. I didn't honestly think it would be able to do it but it does.



Emptying the plastic bag and cleaning the felt bag is a royal pain. There is nothing wrong with the 50-760. All machines designed this way are a pain to dump and clean. Fine dust will pour out in clouds if you're not super careful when dumping. I take my top bag off first and fold it so as to close off the opening and take it straight outside. I then remove the bottom bag very carefully so as not to stir up the dust and take it straight outside as well. After dumping the plastic bag I turn the felt bag inside out being careful not to damage it and then lightly shake it and brush it clean with a soft bristled brush.



After using the machine for a few hours I turn it off and lightly swat the felt bag with my hands causing the shavings and dust to fall into the lower plastic bag. It will clog if this is not done regularly along with the cleaning I perform when dumping.



1 micron is nice but dust still comes through the bag. It's much better than a 30 micron bag but it's not magic.



Since wood chips come into direct contact with the impeller blade I think a pre-separator would be a good investment. I have a friend who uses the trash can style plastic cyclone separator with good success. I am going to build a custom 6" one since all the store bought stuff is only 4". The fewer times you have to empty and clean this thing the better off you'd be. - Dust Collectors - Dust - Dust Collection - Delta'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Grizzly - dust, dust collectors dust collection Grizzly - dust, dust collectors