Wednesday 4 May 2011

Usb Floppy Drive - usb floppy drive, floppy drive


Product works flawlessly. Could use a little longer usb cord and it didn't come with a users manuel but for this little guy do we really need one? (Not really.) It works great, and for the money you can't beat it. BYTECC USB 3.5" 1.44MB Floppy Disk Drive for for ACER DELL FUJITSU GATEWAY HP IBM LENOVO SONY TOSHIBA LAPTOP NOTEBOOK PC

I had some documents on floppy disks that I realized I could no longer access with my new computer that didn't have a floppy drive. I got it within 2 days of ordering, and when I connected it, I didn't need to download drivers or do anything. I have Windows XP and it worked right away. It was just what I needed to retrieve those old documents.

I bought this USB 3.5" floppy drive so I could read a bunch of old diskettes I found in my desk drawer that were backups from an old computer I had maybe 10 years ago. It read all but one of the disks so it served its purpose, but it seemed unusually slow at reading. I found that after reading about four disks, it also froze and refused to read any other disks unless I unplugged it and plugged it back in. On the plus side, it was plug and play on my Windows XP PC and was cheaper than comparable units from MicroCenter and Best Buy.

It is advertised as compatible with all floppy formats (low density, high density). Unfortunately, works only with high density disks. Any attempt to read low density disk results in mesage "this disk is not formatted". Any attempt to format such disk results in message "this disk cannot be formatted". Tested on SinXP SP3 and various editions of Win7



I purchased this drive ONLY because I have tons of legacy low density disks and this drive was advertised as capable of reading such disks. For me, is useless. However, if works fine with high density disks



Brand is not listed on the box, but driver identifies itself as TEAC. Interestingly, specification on the box states that drive supports both 720KB/1.44MB disks.



Contacted the vendor to clarify the issue. Drive returned to vendor. Vendor promissed to find drive that is compatible with low density disks, or if such drive cannot be located, offered full return. I dodn't pay return shipping; vendor e-mailed shipping label.

I was horrified to discover my sleek, new tower lacked a drive slot for my small library of floppies. Panic set in when I realized I had no apparent way to access the information each contained. Teac to the rescue!! This unit is so neat - even that much maligned caveman can use it. Simply plug it into your USB, insert the disc and all is right with the world once again! Most definitely recommend the unit and the seller. Prompt delivery; product exactly as advertised. Thank you Amazon. - External Floppy Drive - Usb Floppy Drive - Floppy Drive - Floppy Drives'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information