Wednesday 4 May 2011

Canon Digital Camera - accessories, canon digital camera


I use three batteries in rotation, as I am frequently travelling in places where there is no electricity. When I traded in my old PowerShot S410 for a new PowerShot SD750 I took a chance on buying two generic batteries ($12 instead of $42).



Both generics were slightly less than perfect, in that they would regularly activate the 'low battery' icon/light even when they were fully charged. Occasionally, they would even evoke the 'change battery' message. On these occasions I had to open the battery compartment, partially remove the battery, then re-install it, in which case I could now proceed to take pictures with the same battery.



My sense was that the total battery life of the generics was not dramatically shorter than the Canon original, although I did not attempt to measure this precisely.



As soon as I was able (about a month after I bought them, as I was travelling at the time) I returned the generics to Amazon and paid full price for the Canon original. Although the generics could be 'worked around' it wasn't worth it to me, as I discovered I was more interested in taking photos than in saving $30 (times 2). Canon NB-4L Lithium-Ion Battery (3.7v 760mAh) Li-Ion Battery for Canon SD1400IS, SD940IS, SD960IS and Other Select Canon Digital Cameras

This is the exact same battery that came with my Canon SD200 camera (digital elph). I wanted to have a spare, and while you can find the replacement batteries (generics) for about 1/2 the price I really didn't want to risk anything going wrong by using any other type of battery. It takes a charge well and has a nice life to it, I am satisfied.

The value of having a second camera battery cannot be overestimated because the battery cannot be charged on the camera on most models. Swapping out batteries gives you continuous coverage and if you have a 2 Gig memory you can take a thousand pictures should you choose to do so. Moreover,the battery has a neat little cap with a built-in indicator which allows you to easily tell a depleted battery from a fully-charged one and eliminates the chance of spare change in your pocket or purse from shorting out the terminals. Strongly suggest you have one of these.

It's hard to beat an OEM battery at about half the price you would have to pay at a local big box store. I have experienced satisfactory charge and run time for this battery in my Canon SD600.



One thing to note: This was ordered with the "Super Saver Shipping". No problem, but I did notice like many other Amazon reviewers, that the order was listed as "shipped" almost a week before it actually entered the mail system. Amazon tracking said "shipped" but USPS tracking said they had been notified of a pickup request but that the item was not yet in their posession. And, as it turns out, wouldn't be for another 5 days. Anyway, the point is that there is a slightly misleading perception being generated by Amazon that your order is on it's way when in fact it is really sitting on their loading dock (or elsewhere) waiting for a weekly bulk pickup. And once it is "shipped", according to them, you can't cancel it, no matter how long it takes for a courier to actually pick it up off the dock.

If you are in need of a handy back up or replacement battery for your Canon camera, order this. I have purchased the "knock off" batteries claiming to be as good as the original for 1/2 the price, but beware, you get 1/16 of the battery life! The "compatible" batteries do not hold a charge well at all and I unfortunately found out the hard way, on vacation with no charger around. The compatibles were useless, I almost thought I hadn't fully charged two extra "compatible" batteries, but when I returned home and attempted to charge them, they both lasted long enough for the camera to power on even after the charger gave them a green light! I won't hammer the name of the compatibles due to the possibility of some fluke, but I wouldn't risk any of them.

I just recently purchased the Canon SD 1000 camera and wanted a spare battery to cary. I also have an older Canon camera and when I wanted a spare back-up battery I bought a brand other than Canon.The off brand battery did not last as long as the Canon battery.

This time when I wanted a spare battery I bought the Canon as opposed to a cheaper off brand.

I am looking forward to equal quality performance of both batteries.

I would quess the old saying ,"You get what you pay for",would apply here. norrlip

It's just a battery, right? I ordered it and received it quickly, and it works as advertised. I suppose it's not that complicated.



I would add that I do have a preference for Canon brand batteries over the generics. Although they are so much cheaper, it just isn't worth it when you discover that they don't hold as muh of a charge and deteriorate more quickly over time. - Battery - Accessories - Camera Battery - Canon Digital Camera'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information