Wednesday 4 May 2011

Digital Camera - memory card, 8gb


Works very well with my Canon Rebel T1i. Very fast and I don't get buffer bars when recording HD videos. This is a Class 10 SDHC and it really is worth every penny you pay for it. Frustration-free packaging is a BIG plus! SanDisk 8GB Extreme SDHC Class 10 High Performance Memory Card (SDSDX3-008G-P31)

As an ex-Leica and former Nikon SLR user this is my first venture into the world of DSLR. For me, conventional film cameras are over.



I used this SanDisk card with a new NIkon D90 and 24mm-70mm lens. All of my photos are shot in RAW that generates large files. Simply put, it worked flawlessly. I shot multiple images at the frames per second capacity of the camera without a hitch or delay. As fast as I shot, the card handled it and never experienced a delay. Thus far, I have taken approximately 300 pictures.



Once I loaded the card into the Lexar reader ( USB 2.0 MULTI CARD) it downloaded very quickly on to my iMac (4 gigs of ram). My chosen software is Aperture from Apple. Aperture amazes me. Everything worked seamlessly and hassle free. Unless my files (newer camera in the future?) become significantly larger this card gets fives stars from me.

I own a Canon T1i. I bought this card for 2 reasons I wanted to to decrease my instances of rolling choppy video on my class 4 cards ( I have only one class ) 6 at the moment and I was hoping to get increase my still frame rate before I buffered out. My video quality increased compared to a class 6 card but I still only get 8 frames raw in 3 seconds before my buffer maxes out. The time saved downloading from a card reader is negligible compared to a class 6. If you are solely looking at class 10 cards to increase your still work flow I would not recommend them for entry level dslrs regardless of brand. Save some cash and get the class 6.

Some time ago I purchased a Transcend 16 GB Class 10 card and reviewed it as "Fast, Fast, Fast". Later reviewers pointed to the printed speed on the actual cards (and on the corporate web pages) (Transcend - 20 MB/sec, Sandisk Extreme - 30 MB/sec) as an indication that the Transcend card was not particularly fast. Since the term "speed" itself is pretty much a subjective description, and since the speed of the card also depends upon the speed of the camera hardware and software, I thought it might be worth speed timing the different cards in my camera (a Canon T1i).



My original card, before I bought the Transcend 16 GB Class 10, was a Transcend 8 GB Class 6 (actually a micro-sdhc card) and my review of the Transcend Class 10 card was based on comparison with that card. I bought the Sandisk Extreme card (8 GB since it was pretty expensive) and tested each.



The actual timing tests were simple enough. I formatted each card before each test. I then took 20 continuous photos at 8 MP, at 15 MP and at RAW, and recorded the time from the start of taking pictures to the time when the recording light turned off.



Timing:



1) Transcend 8 GB, class 6



Format - 51.5 seconds,



20 continuous photos, 8 MP, least compression - 8.6 seconds,

20 continuous photos, 15 MP, least compression - 13.4 seconds,

20 continuous RAW photos - 44.3 seconds



2) Transcend 16 GB, class 10



Format - 46.2 seconds (the other cards are 8 GB so this time is not relevant. I included it for the sake of completeness),



20 continuous photos, 8 MP, least compression - 8.4 seconds,

20 continuous photos, 15 MP, least compression - 10.8 seconds,

20 continuous RAW photos - 31.4 seconds



3) Sandisk Extreme 8 GB, class 10



Format - 8 seconds,



20 continuous photos, 8 MP, least compression - 8.0 seconds,

20 continuous photos, 15 MP, least compression - 9.7 seconds,

20 continuous RAW photos - 27.4 seconds





Results:



1) Clearly the Sandisk Extreme formats much faster than the Transcend Class 6. A comparison with the 16 GB Transcend Class 10 card would be invalid since the sizes are not the same and there is no evidence that timing for formatting is linear. That is, there is no reason to believe that it would take twice as long to format a 16 GB card as an 8 GB card. It might take more, it might take less,



2) Taking photos at 8 MP, least compression, is nearly the same for all cards. Canon recommends a Class 6 card for the T1i and it appears that that is sufficient for photos taken at 8 MP,



3) Taking photos at 15 MP, least compression, showed a significant difference depending on the card. The Transcend Class 10 card took almost 20% less time than the Transcend Class 6 card and the Sandisk Class 10 card took about 10% less time than the Transcend Class 10 card,



4) Taking RAW photos also showed a significant difference depending on the card. The Transcend Class 10 card took about 29% less time than the Transcend Class 6 card and the Sandisk Class 10 card took almost 13% less time than the Transcend Class 10 card.



Conclusions:



Some things seem clear to me.



1) The Transcend Class 10 card was clearly faster in all categories (except 8 MP) than the Transcend Class 6 and that was the basis for my review of the card. In my opinion the upgrade from the Transcend Class 6 to the Transcend Class 10 was worth doing given the way I take photos (15 MP, ocassionally RAW).



2) The Sandisk Extreme Class 10 card is faster than the Transcend Class 10 card when used in the camera to take pictures larger than 8 MP (the difference at 8 MP is 5% which is not, in my opinion, significant). Clearly the difference between the Transcend Class 10 and the Sandisk Class 10 is significant although the user would have to determine if the 10% and 13% differences were worth the difference in price (the Sandisk 8 GB Class 10 is more expensive than the Transcend 16 GB Class 10). Given the way I use my camera I feel it is not worth the difference in price, but others may feel differently.



3) The difference in speeds between the Transcend Class 10 and the Sandisk Extreme Class 10, when used in the camera, are very different than the theoretical differences given the posted speeds. Given those posted speeds, a user might well expect that the Sandisk Extreme would be about 30-35% faster, but it is not and one has to assume that the difference is caused by the speed of the camera hardware and software.



I rated this card as 5 stars although the extra speed was not significant enough for me to justify the extra cost. Still, the card is faster than my Transcend Class 10. - Memory Card - Extreme Iii - 8gb - Photography'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Digital Camera - memory card, 8gb 8gb Digital Camera - memory card, 8gb