Wednesday 4 May 2011

Computer Accessories - flash drive, 4gb


This is not the first Kingston flash drive that I have had. The one that I had before was 16 GB and also very nice with my mac. However, it does not have the feature that I like most on this flash drive... The protective cover that loops around the entire drive (a whole 360) ! I don't have to worry about losing the cap anymore. The key loop is small, but it is a good size for a string to hold it with. The price is great on amazon too, especially considering the free shipping. Kingston Digital 4 GB USB 2.0 Hi-speed Datatraveler Flash Drive DT101G2/4GBZ, Cyan blue

This cyan Kingston Digital 4GB USB drive gets 5+ stars from me. The sturdy swivel cover can never get lost, and overall it's an attractive holder for your important data.



The cyan color is great -- easy to find in your bag and identify. I am most likely going to purchase more in different colors so I can keep track of my files without having to plug in every non-descript black USB drive (with the cover missing) that is in my bag to see which is the right one.



I am using this drive mostly for sporting a library of MP3s that I play in the car. Works great with my stereo. Computer-wise, have had no problems using it with both Mac OS and Windows. 4GB is the perfect capacity to hold a huge library of music as well as data files that need quick transport.



The green LED is also neat. It lights up in the circle (where the metal swivels around if you look at the photo)and makes it easy to know when the drive is ready to be disconnected from the computer.



A great buy!

My husband was looking for a new flash card. As I'm the shopper in the house, I searched online for the good, the bad and the ugly. :-)



I came across this product, and researched it for size, quality and value for money. It came out on top in every aspect.



Now that it's here, my husband has given it two thumbs up.



I love the cyan colour - won't get lost in the multitude of grey/black items in one's bag, and I absolutely love the 360 swivel cap. No lost cap EVER! My husband's other flash card has a loose cap, which he has misplaced many times, so this item is a relief for him in his bag.



I have bought a second one to give as a gift, and I'm also buying one for myself.



Definitely recommend this product.



**UPDATE on Feb.23.11: So far, this product is working perfectly. No issues at all.

I recently got 2 of these flash drives to install operating system iso's on them, to make installing operating systems on other computers quick and easy. The first flash drive I used happily for basic file saving before I copied over the image of the operating system. Once I copied over the operating system and installed the operating system from the flash drive onto a different pc, I got error messages late into the install. So I ran the utility ChkFlsh on it and found some bad sectors. This makes the flash drive useless since you can't fix bad sectors on a removable flash drive. This was bound to happen, since I have seen similar problems before on previous flash drives that were used heavily over time (although I hadn't used this particular flash drive heavily).



Shrugging it off as a fluke. I cracked open the case for the other new flash drive. Copied over the operating system image and installed it on a pc. Again, errors popped up late into the install. Scanned it for bad sectors, which again showed up quickly. Now I am dissatisfied with Kingston for sending 2 flash drives with bad sectors on them. This never showed up in my earlier model flash drives (Kingston DataTraveler I - 4 GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive DTI/4GB).



This product is useful if you don't intend on filling the stick up completely with large important data files. Smaller files will most likely never hit the bad sectors. For now I recommend the earlier Kingston models which I have scanned time and time again and rarely find bad sectors.



Edit: Just wanted to mention one other con. The swivel is a con. It causes the flash drive to be too thick to stick into tight USB spaces. This is fine if you have a USB port all by itself, but if you have multiple USB ports side-by-side, then it will block (or make an uncomfortably tight squeeze for) the neighboring USB device.

I have both the 4GB and 16GB models and they're great! I like the way they turn to open instead of a cap (to loose). The speed is fast and have had no problems with either-even though the 16GB went through the washer! I wouldn't recommend it, but it survived! I do doubt it would have survived the dryer though. As far as the software on it, I just took it all off, just wasn't of any use to me but wasn't a show stopper in purchasing either.

Works well so far and writes really, really fast - 100 page screenplay, saved in 3 seconds from my old, slow laptop. And much cheaper usb drive than what they had at walmart and compusa - half the cost off of amazon. - Datatraveler - 4gb - Kingston - Flash Drive'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information