Saturday 28 May 2011

Martial Arts - jump rope, weight loss


I've jumped rope for 7+ years for cardio and just purchased my 4th pair of these. I have a a cheap plastic one and a weighted rope (this everlast leather weighted). The plastic one costs only a few dollars that I use if i'm traveling for more than a couple days, and sometimes to mix it up. The weighted rope is a good cardio workout which also tones your upper arm extremely well.



This is my 4th pair because the others have eventually cracked through, which happens when it drops repeatedly against the floor at a bad angle. One of them also just wore out in the center where there's alot of friction with the floor. I tried another plastic handled brand, but that cracked around the same area as well, and even sooner.



This is a classic, and fully recommend. it didn't receive 5 stars only because it needs to be replaced every couple years. but then again so do all the others. Highly recommended. Everlast Leather Weighted Jump Rope (9.5 feet)

i should have gotten the 9.5'' one. i'm about 5' 7" & i got this 8 footer & it's too short for me. it hits my head & i trip on it. i have to swing my arms real wide to use it. i am returning it & using a cheap plastic one i picked up at 5 below. but if you are looking for a nice quality/pretty jump rope this one is good. much nicer looking than those plastic ones. it does get all bent up from being rubberbanded during the shipping so i suggest laying it over something when you first open it up to help straighten it out.

I bought a swivel jump rope back in 1985(Yes I'm an old man!) I am now fifty, and remember starting out with a nice leather rope, with a swivel. I started out stiffly, but could soon jump rope like Rocky in the second flick ( I think it was the second). Twenty five years later, I decided it was time to get back into shape. I have maintained the same weight the entire time, 145 - 160, at 5 foot 11. I ordered this rope with images of what I once accomplished, granted, I am 25 years older, but, I started up with a two dollar plastic jump rope from Walmart. I did fine with that, but the darn thing kept twisting up, so I decided to go back to school. I may be wrong, but, I think this rope is thinner in the leather department. Granted, the handles are weighted, by half a pound each, but, the leather rope seems much lighter, and where I could do 700 skips with the Wally World rope, I can only do 200 with the leather rope. Maybe it is just me and old age.

This is my first jump rope. I wanted something quality and slightly weighted and this fit the bill. Since I can't compare having not tried other ropes, I can't comment on how it compares to other leather or synthetic ropes. But so far it seems to spin as fast as I need it to and it is definitely giving me a work out as I build conditioning for jump rope. When new, the leather is extremely stiff and bent from packaging, but if you use 100% neatsfoot oil to condition the leather, it will become very supple and a bit heavier and straighten out nicely within an hour or two. Also be sure to store it by hanging it, not wound up.



Negatives to beware of: Any good jump rope needs to be adjustable. This one is a pain in the *ss to adjust (it is not advertised as being adjustable at all), though possible. You have to remove the little spring holding the bearing in place, cut the rope and reposition the metal piece holding the leather behind the bearing. Not a fun procedure and possibly will ruin your rope and/or handles if you're not careful. Secondly, I began to notice that my rope was rubbing on the rim of the wood handle and actually wearing away at one particular spot. I quickly put some electrical tape to protect the area from further wear (I could see the leather wearing through and eventually breaking without this). So, in short, the rope is a bit lacking in the design department and in terms of adjustability.

I ordered a 9' weighted jump rope and was shipped a different sized rope that, obviously, doesn't fit my height. Since these are non-adjustable, I wanted to return the item for the one I ordered. I was told that it doesn't matter what item I put in my shopping cart, they can send whichever rope they want, and if I want a refund, I have to cover the return shipping.

This is not the jump rope you see pictured. I have bought Everlast jump ropes in the past.. the last one being in 2001. I finally needed to replace it. I ordered this listed rope from Amazon. It's not as it appears. The old Everlast jump rope has substantial leather...the one you get is a string. The old Everlast handles should weigh 1 pound..these weigh 1/2 pound. I have never been so mad at Amazon for picturing just what I wanted and getting something so far off. Mine is being returned, and I will try to repair the old one.

I just love this jump rope. It has a nice fluid motion with the ball bearings! I ordered the 9.5ft rope and I am about 5'8". It was just a little too long, so I looped each end and tied a knot about 4" below each handle. This does not interfere with anything and shortens it just a bit. It is now the perfect length.

I bought this to get a litte bit of an upper body workout while I got some cardio. Initially, I thought that the jump rope didn't have much weight, but after jumping for a few minutes I changed my mind! It really gives you a good shoulder workout. I do 1-2 mins of rope and then switch off with abs and pushups. I gave it four stars because it gets a little bit tangeled and I can tell that after enough thwacking on the floor, it'll eventually give out. One of the other reviewers said that it lasts a few years, which I think itsn't all that bad. Overall, I really like it. - Cardio - Weight Loss - Jump Rope'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Martial Arts - jump rope, weight loss weight loss Martial Arts - jump rope, weight loss