Saturday 28 May 2011

Braun Refill - electric razor, braun foil


If you've been reading any of the reviews here lately you will know the 8000 series foil/cutterblock combo has been replaced with a new combo now called the series 5 Combi 51S. You will receive this replacement even if the picture on the product page shows "8000 series" as it has been discontinued for over a year. Braun merged the replacement for the 8000 series (Activator) with the 360 Complete. This new foil/cutterblock is garbage! The cutterblock has wide blades, as opposed to the thinner blades of the original 8000 series, which pull your stubble and take MANY passes over your face to shave. They are prone to premature failure and I have gone through 3(THREE) of these in 6 months! (I bought one and two were free through Braun after complaining). All the free replacements in the world weren't making the shaving experience any better. I longed for the days when my Activator 8595 cut smooth, close, and comfortably. After all, this shaver had been my favorite for 6 years so far! I was very close to dumping the whole shaver and moving on when I happened across a reviewer on Amazon who suggested using the 7000 series replacement foil/cutterblock in his review. It worked PERFECTLY! The 7000 series replacement looks just like the much coveted original on my 8595 Activator - down to the thinner cutting blades! It didn't pull my stubble, it cut smooth as butter, and was comfortable: JUST LIKE NEW! I'd like to thank the original reviewer (James L. Walls "sixtoe") for the very good advice. Braun 8000 360 Complete Foil and Cutter Block for Models 8995, 8985 and 8975

This is a factory replacement part for several models of Braun shavers, so it fits perfectly, and it works just like the original part.



The bad news is the price. You'll hold it in your hand and say, "How could this thing cost $30!?" Well, it just does; if you want the factory part, you have to pay the factory price. There is no after-market replacement.



Do you even need to replace the cutter assembly? Probably so. Obviously, if you dent the original by fumbling your shaver, you'll need a replacement. However, even with perfect care, the original cutter wears out in about 18 months. If you pop the foil cover off of your shaver, you can see why: The blades run back and forth against the foil cover, shearing off the whiskers that have protruded into the tiny holes and slots. Eighteen months of friction does the damage.



So, if you want the Braun shaver-- which, by the way is excellent-- then you just have to buy the parts needed to do the periodic maintenance. Life is like that sometimes...

These replacement heads work just fine on a Braun 8585 (which has the "Activator" system, whatever that is) in case anyone is wondering. I got a terrific shave after installing them on my 8585 today.

I replaced my original foil after 30 months of use, as the cutter finally wore through the foil leaving a hole. I do not shave every day, as I feel better with a day's growth, sometimes even two or three if it's a weekend. This probably contributed to the phenomenal 30 month life of the original screen. For some reason this foil was $5 cheaper than the "Activator" 8000 series foil, so I got it. Add to it Amazon's free shipping and 15% discount for Subscribe & Save and it is an unbeatable deal.

Braun says that these blades work with the 8595 that I use. While it's true that the blades do fit and the razor will operate, the level of razor burn is OFF THE SCALE compared to the Activator blades. The best thing about the Braun system is the minimal to non-existent razor burn, an advantage that is completely lost with these. If you use an 8595, avoid these blades like the plague. (Frankly, I would assume that these blades would cause the same problems with other Braun razors, but I can't say for sure since all I have is an 8595.)

I recently purchased the complete foil & cutter block for my braun 8995 razor. Braun 8000 360 Complete Foil and Cutter Block for Models 8995, 8985 and 8975 I must say it performs as advertised. It's as though I were shaving with a new razor again. I believe it is money well spent.

Just my .2 cents. I have a Braun model #8985 Series 5. After a year of satisfactory use, I thought I should replace the foil and cutters. I got the one recommended for my shaver, the 51S. I started to use it, and after just a few shaves, I noticed the shaves were not as smooth, and more irritation to my face, than I was getting with my original shaver I had for the past year. Now just after a few shaves, I noticed my cutter was starting to dull. I stuck with it a few more months, and then I started looking for a better cutting block for it. I came on Amazon and read some reviews, and there were many satisfied users of the 30B kit. . I even called Braun, and told them my situation, and asked if I could change over to the 30B, instead of staying with the 51S. NO WAY said the rep, use only the cartridge recommended by Braun, the 51S. Well, I decided otherwise, and went to "Target", and got the 30B replacement foil and cutter. Boy, what a difference. It fits right in, no problem with the foil or the cutter fitting, I even like the foil better than the 51S, seems to roll over my fact smoother. The shaves seem so much better. Now to be honest, I have not used the razor much yet, but I'll get back to you with my thoughts when I do. On my #8985 there is a light that comes on, and it says "change foil", which came on right then when I changed the foil over to the 30B, it lite up. There is a reset button right there, and if you push it with a pen or pencil point, the light goes out after blinking a few times. Maybe the 30B is the way to go, and the 30B is about $15 cheaper than the 51S. I don't know what Braun is doing, but it is not making me buy a new Braun. If I get upset with their shaver, I'm not going to buy a new Braun, I will switch brands. Hate to say this folks, but every manufacturer out there is trying to rip us off today! Regards, TC - Braun Refill - Electric Razor - Braun Foil - Braun 8995'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information