Saturday 28 May 2011

Analog Interconnects - interconnects, monster


I have the Polk RM6750 and saw this y adapter in the stores. Strangely enough this was the cheapest Y adapter with gold connectors.



Turns out if you only plug an RCA into one of the inputs on the Subwoofer the other input is still active. Meaning you are losing about 3Db's when your not connected to the other input (which I thought was minimal).



So I bought this cable and decided that at $6-7 it really couldn't hurt.



Got home and plugged it in, there is a noticeable difference in the Subwoofer's sound without having to turn it up any more.



Granted if you can find a cheaper Y adapter by all means go for it, but I am very satisfied with the sound coming out of my 8" Subwoofer now. Monster ILJRY-1 F Single Female RCA to Dual Male RCA Y-Adapter

I ordered the Polk Audio PSW10 10-Inch Monitor Series Powered Subwoofer (Single, Black) to go with my Yamaha CRX-330BL Micro Component Receiver CD Player Unit and bought Belkin PureAV AV20500-15 15-Foot Subwoofer Audio Cable to connect them. It turns out you also need a Monster ILJRY-1 F Single Female RCA to Dual Male RCA Y-Adapter to feed the signal into both channels of the subwoofer, or it doesn't work right. Once I got all the components, it's fine, but it took a week and two orders to figure it all out.

I was surprised to see a monster brand product like this for such a low price. I only buy monster products 30% of the time or less. I have always been very happy with them but have often found competing brands of the same quality for less money. In this case, however, the price of this high end cable was very reasonable and worth the peace of mind knowing it would handle the audio signal from my high end receiver to my subwoofer (i admit it's a bit of a strange application, but that doesn't change the fact that this product is quality and handles the audio signal very well).

I bought this, like many others, to provide signal to both the Left and Right inputs of my subwoofer (Energy ESW-8HG). First, I'll comment on the product, then the application



Product:

Build quality, although more basic than most Monster products, is more than satisfactory. The gold plated connections are a must, and the cable didn't seem to have any issues with shielding (although on a sub application, it can be tough to tell due to the frequency reproduction capability of a sub). My Rosewill subwoofer interlink cable, which I at times have felt fit somewhat loosely into its connection, fit snugly into this which gave me confidence. The price was great (as usual - thanks Amazon!), and shipping was as fast as it always is



Application notes:



First, I'd like to comment on the 3dB of gain issue. 3dB (when dimensionless) represents a DOUBLING of power. However, there is no way to magically double the strength of your audio signal. Splitting a signal actually lowers the total power available for the amp (any connection causes a connector loss). However, whether you see a boost in signal to the amp (assuming a powered sub woofer) will depend on how it is configured. If it uses half of its power to amplify each channel, then yes - supplying a signal to both will likely get you more power to the woofer itself since now the amp is amplifying two signals and not just 1. However, this will change from amp to amp, as I found out.



As mentioned above, I tried this as part of my Energy ESW-8HG subwoofer setup. I had been having problems with the sub cutting out, and as part of my troubleshooting process thought I'd see if this made a difference. It did not (but it was not the fault of the product, as you'll see below)



However, and be sure to read this part - in my discussions with the Energy Tech/Warranty support folks, I learned that although the sub does have an input for L and R, in a mono sub application a signal should ONLY be supplied to one of the 2 (in my case, the L). Using both the left and the right is intended to be a speaker level input option that many sub manufacturers provide as a flexibility feature (can sell this sub to more users, since not all AV recievers have subwoofer out). Therefore, supplying a mono subwoofer signal to both channels can DAMAGE your subwoofer's internal amp and/or the sub itself (if it gets overdriven).



Bottom line - if you determine that you could benefit from this connector - then buy with confidence, but make sure that your audio configuration warrants this plug, as I'd hate for you to damage your equipment

Monopricedotcom (the best place to buy cables of all kinds) has an adapter just like this (without the monster name, but with thicker wire and a higher build quality) for three bucks, plus two more for shipping (5 total, which is what this used to be priced at, but apparently it costs more now). Wish I'd seen that before buying this one here. Search there for "6inch RCA Female to 2-RCA Male Digital Coaxial Splitter Adapter" and compare. And check out their prices on all of their other cables while you're at it. Excellent stuff there, and unbeatable prices. - Subwoofer Cables - Subwoofer Cable - Interconnects - Monster'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Analog Interconnects - interconnects, monster subwoofer cables Analog Interconnects - interconnects, monster