Saturday 7 May 2011

Air Tool Accessories - impact wrenches, air tools


That's right. Our shop uses these 231's for regular duty and tire service. These things last for years despite being dropped on the floor, not oiled regularly, and zero maintenance. Typically the power selector knobs are the first thing to go on these wrenches. If you need good performance and a tool that will last a long time then this is your wrench. Ingersoll-Rand 231C 1/2-Inch Super-Duty Air Impact Wrench

I'm a professional diesel mechanic, and I will not buy any other impact but this one. My first one lasted me for 10 years, through drops, kicks, no oiling, etc. I only don't have it anymore because I moved and sold it to a friend who still uses it. I have put this thing head to head with impacts 3 times the price of this one, and it has always been the strongest and most powerful. Most of the people in my last shop borrowed mine because it was the most powerful in the shop, and nearly everyone at my new shop has one. Buy it, you won't be disappointed.

I needed a impact wrench for rotating my tires. Originally I bought a Harbor Freight Special...... and it wouldn't turn the lug nuts on my Silverado or Trailblazer for nothing. I bought this baby with my money from Christmas and I am very happy. I rotated my tires this weekend without a problem! I was concerned with the compressor I had. I was worried it wasn't big enough for tools like a impact wrench. I have a Makita MAC2400 4.2 CFM and it was good enough for this wrench. So far I highly recommend!

I bought this for my hausband whom is a full time mechanic with his own business. He had an old Ingersoll Rand impact that was given to him and it lasted several years before finally wearing completely out. This one is GREAT!! He absolutely LOVES it. It is fast and powerful. HE says he would recommend it to ANYONE! great price, too.

Background:

I decided to replace my own brakes for the first time because I would rather spend the money on tools, knowledge, experience so I can do it myself for the rest of my life. I was able to get the calipers off but the bolts holding the caliper bracket wouldn't give. Heat, quenching, PB Blaster, nothing would move these bolts. I knew I needed an impact wrench.



Side by Side:

I first bought the Coleman Powermate 024-0077CT impact wrench because it was cheap and the specs seemed good to me. I thought 250lb of torque (Supposedly) would be enough to remove those stubborn bolts. No joy. The Coleman had a hard time with the lugnuts and didn't move the caliper bracket bolts at all.



I went to a local store and purchased this Ingersoll Rand 231C wrench. I got it home and it buzzed those bolts out like they were only in finger tight! I made no changes to the air compressor and all of the other parts (e.g. air hose, sockets, etc.) were the same.





Results:

You really do get what you pay for. I only wish I would have read the Amazon reviews before I wasted money on the Coleman. Oh, and I paid approx $50 more than Amazon price for the IR wrench locally. :(



Re

The first thing I do with any new tool is to grasp a full understanding of maintenance and care before using. The many professionals who rave about the 231C are right about quality, durability and price. Here are a few things I discovered that are not mentioned. The Product Information manual is a runt. Inside the front cover is a small diagram, less than 2 inches square, showing the tool and all lubrication points using tiny icons which I found to be somewhat confusing. So I contacted IR customer service for clarification. What a surprisingly courteous and helpful reply I received. They were great and answered every question I had. I've used impact wrenches all of my life. The 231C is a prize and I wanted to treat it right. Here's what I learned. Complete lubrication of the 231C is done at the factory. Since the owner's manual also covers the 231H and the 244A, the one diagram shows the lube points for all models. There is only one grease port on the back of the 231C. Add grease after 40 hours of use. If you do not have an in-line lubricator on your pressure hose, add 3 drops of oil/air tool lubricant to the air intake port every 6 to 8 hours or daily. That's all. IR offers an Impact Wrench Care Kit and it is sold by Amazon.Com. It includes the grease gun,heavy duty impact wrench grease (105-4T) and air tool lubricant (10Z4) . If you want the best, deserve the best, buy the best.

Gentlemen,

I recently purchased this impact gun, which would be my first. I must say that i love the power. I use it for tire rotation, brake jobs, crank pulley bolt removal, etc. The torque is great; I can't even turn lug nuts any further than this tool can by hand. The power selector knob is great for varying power to the socket. I bought the IR 14pc socket set (metric), which by the way, are beautiful! too bad the finish gets messed up as you use them.



I chose this gun over a Craftsman impact, the particular one could not be rebuilt with a kit like this one can. Beutiful aluminum finish on the body, I think I will buy a protective boot for it. - Impact Driver - Air Tools - Impact Wrenches - Ingersoll-rand'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information