Saturday 30 April 2011

Hdmi Switcher - hd dvd, hdtv


I thought this would be the perfect solution. I have the hi-def signal coming out of my HD DVR via HDMI and going into my Onkyo receiver. Before the splitter, I had to have the receiver on anytime I wanted to watch TV (pass-through only worked when receiver was on). With the splitter I had hoped to be able to pass the HD signal directly to the TV and then only use the audio through the receiver for sports, movies, etc.



The signal coming through the splitter was too weak to be able to be picked up by my Samsung HDTV. I figured this was a $16 gamble that was worth the shot, but unfortunately the splitter did not provide the two full-strength signals I required. (It did provide one signal that worked well enough to be picked up by the TV or the receiver, but not two.) HDMI Splitter (1 to 2) Premium Splitter Cable

Do not buy this splitter if you are trying to split a single HDMI source to 2 HDMI displays. It doesn't work, even though that is precisely what it is supposed to do. I tried connecting 2 Samsung TV's(LN37A550 & LN19A450) to a Motorola HD cable box(DCH3200) and it doesn't work. If you plug one display into the splitter that TV works, but when you try to plug-in both displays, neither works. I purchased two of these splitters and neither worked, so I doubt it was just a case of having been shipped a defective unit.



This splitter is a piece of junk. Don't waste your money. Amazon should be ashamed of offering this product on their web site and it should be removed immediately.

This splitter reduced my signal quality to where I was getting bright green spots all over the image after it was attached. I though it may be due to my source signal quality, so I hooked it up to my friend's Direct TV box and we experienced the same thing. It's useless. I just completely wasted my money. I hate that feeling.

Splitting the digital cable HDMI port to two powerd on TVs resulted in an "HDMI intrusion" error from the box. The error remained in the foreground covering most of the screen but there was a good picture behind the error screen on both TVs. Splitting the HDMI connection from the DVD player to two powered on TVs resulted in a good display on one TV and poor display on the other (Wavey Lines). The splitter would work well for using only one display powered on at a time.

For many others that want to use two sources and feed to one TV or monitor this will not work...

However, if you are in my position you will love it. Let me explain why. I have a full 1080p Sony LCD TV with 3HDMI input. I also have a Harman Kardon 7.1 receiver that has 2 HDMI input. My main Blu-Ray player as for now is my PS3. It will be nice if my receiver did not downgrade the picture quality from 1080p to 720p since it already burned me $1400 just for the receiver alone, but it did. I am not about to purchase a higher end model for another 1,800 too much money already spent.

In order for my picture quality to improve I would just have to send my picture DIRECTLY to the HDTV. But then I need the DTS-HD from the PS3 to split from the HDMI cable as well.

By using this splitter, I can have my PS3 Blu-ray movie send a signal DIRECTLY to my TV and I can also have my PS3 send a DIRECT signal to my Surround receiver. This way, my picture quality will not have to go via my receiver then to the TV. By this method it will receive the signal direct from the source(My PS3) and I will also enjoy the DTS-HD surround sound with a direct signal being sent to my Harman Kardon receiver at the same time. =)



This is a great example for what this splitter is used for. One source (MY PLAYSTATION 3)Blu-Ray player with one HDMI output. TWO RECEIVING UNITS (My Surround Receiver) and my HDTV (LCD TV) This way I can have a true 1080p picture quality and at the same time have a DTS-HD surround as well that both connects via HDMI cable.



Hope this helps!

I am in the market for a splitter, but saw the bad reviews for this product. I looked around on the Internet and found a "ConnectGear SWB-7850 HDMI Active Splitter with 1-Input and 2-Output". The active splitter is a $199 product (compared to this $18 product which is apparently passive). I don't know for sure, but dilution of signal may be the reason the cheaper passive product doesn't work so well. However, I can't vouch for the more expensive "active" option since I haven't tried it either. But I thought people in the market for a HDMI splitter might want to consider the active option.



Follow up: I bought a 1X4 PRO Series Powered HDMI Splitter (1.3b ATC Certified) from Monoprice. It splits one HDMI input into 4 outputs. I have only connected two televisions to my HD DVR so far, but it works perfectly. One of the TV's is connected by a 30 foot HDMI cord, and the other is connected by a 6 foot HDMI cord. There are no balance problems or any other problems for that matter. They also make a 2 port splitter that is a little cheaper, but I wanted the extra capacity. I'm not sure what else is out there these days, but I highly recommend the Monoprice product I bought. - Hd Dvd - Hdtv - Blu-ray - Splitter'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information