Saturday 30 April 2011

Astronomy - laser pointers, astronomy


I have only had this for one day, but I can say that it is easily powerful enough to point out specific objects in the night sky, even before it is completely dark. I live on the edge of a major metropolitan area with significant light pollution and could still easily see the beam.



This laser is also easily bright enough to direct someones attention in a very well lit room, regardless of size. If a red laser pointer isn't up to the job, this one will be. I would keep a red one around, though, as this one was too bright to me in my house.



Most of my pets didn't seem to care for it and ignored it, even though they like to play with red lasers, so I would stick with cheap red ones for that purpose. The one that did pay attention to it still didn't play with it, just watched it.



As for construction, the button slides around a bit, but everything else seems to have a tight fit. So far the loose button has not had a negative impact on operation. It looks nice with a matte finish on the black portion. It simply says "* Laser Pointer *" on the pocket clip, no other markings except for the laser warning label.



The laser requires that you hold the button down to keep it on, but I prefer it this way as a safety precaution. The laser is extremely bright and I wouldn't want it on if it were dropped or carelessly handled.



The product comes with no details about the manufacturer, distributor, or warranty, so don't expect warranty service. The only box marking is on the inside of the top: "Laser Pointer". 5mw 532nm Astronomy Powerful Green Laser Pointer - Black

It wasn't too long ago that something like this could cost more than $100. These things here can be a bit fragile at certain components (usually the clip), the button will often be loose and rattle, the fringes of the beam pattern vary, and about one in ten have a noticable warm-up time of about 0.5-0.75 seconds, however I haven't come across a single one that completely does not work yet. At this price (currently $16-17) little quirks like these are expected.



Good product, good price.

Out of curiosity I bought 1 of these last summer, then after testing for a whilepurchased ten more as christmas gifts for family/friends.



I tested them all out before giving away. 6 or 7 had very strong, even beams even with the no-name (included) batteries. My father/brother and best friends got these. If you haven't seen a green laser you'll be amazed at the intensity and distance you can get out of it. Too bright for indoor presentations though!



2 or 3 of te ten had weaker beams, but still stronger than a quality red laser pointer so I still gave these out.



1 had a bright hot beam to start, but ever time after 1 or 2 seconds would 'weaken' significantly and slightly flicker. I didn't bother sending this back, just keep it as a back-up.



The original one from summer 2009 is still going strong, probably use it every week or so just to have fun. Outdoors in heavy fog/mist the visible beam is especially impressive.



As others have said be very aware that not only a direct shot to the eyes is very dangerous, but also a reflection. It doesn't take a mirror either, any smooth surface (i.e. a window) can will reflect enough of the beam to do permanent eye damage, and something like a glass or complex shape will send reflections in unpredicatble directions.



Anyway, since I've bought so many though I'd leave a review of this quite nice pruduct for the price.

I purchased this for my teenage son and it was everything that we expected it to be. We could see the green dot at night across the river canyon about 1/2 mile. We could see the dot 4 houses down through a window in broad daylight. The product looks great, works great, was delivered in excellent time (Xmas gift). I give it all thumbs up

I just received the laser today. The batteries that came with it didn't work, but that was not a big deal. Hopefully, people check with new batteries before determining that something doesn't work. When I placed new batteries in it the laser worked great. It feels heavy and expensive. The box is also very nice and not cheaply made. I think it might make a great gift. The green light is bright and got our dog's attention right away. All in all, this laser is well worth its current price. Before I had bought a much cheaper looking red laser at this price which now no longer works. Hopefully, this one will last much longer.

Recieved the item quickly, first I thought it was the bateries that weren't working so I changed them. Tried it again and sometimes the beam works and other times it doesn't. If I shake it this seems to help strengthen the beam. Not sure if I got a dud or it's just not a great product. I would not purchase another one of these from this place.... - Laser Pointer - Astronomy - Laser Pointers - Green Laser'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information