Wednesday 9 March 2011

Underwater Housing - digital camera, canon digital camera


This is the second underwater housing unit for a canon digital camera that I've had. I bought this just in time for a 1 week cruise to the caribbean and got a lot of use out of it. It does pretty much what it says it does, nothing to surprising, but a couple of improvements since the last one I had (for my Powershot S50):



- size. Obviously the camera is smaller, so the housing is going to be smaller, but still, I give credit to Canon for making the housing no bigger than it has to be so you can still enjoy the relative small size you bought the camera for



- Clarity. This is an improvement of both the case and the camera itself, but w/ my old one, the LCD screen could very hard to see even in clear Caribbean waters. The plastic on this case seems a bit more trnaslucent, possibly thinner due to it's overall size. The improved LCD on the SD 780IS (which is fantastic by the way, along w/ the camera itself) also helps. Either way, it's much easier to see what you're about to shoot. I was able to get some great shots w/ it. If I can remember, I'll try to post some examples.



- Flash Diffuser. I recently took a course in photography and have learned a lot about lighting , including the benefits of a diffuser, so was very happy to see that this housing has one, which the old one did not. It's amazing how much difference it makes!! All the shots which required a flash look naturally lit, none of the harsh defined shadows I would get before. This can be the difference between a beautiful shot and one that gets deleted. Also, keep in mind that this camera housing is also useful above water too, for times when you take it to the beach and just want to protect the camera - I took a lot of land shots where the diffuser really helped the flash as well.



Overall, if you like to SCUBA dive, snorkel, or any other activity needing protection from the water, this is a must have!! Do not waste your time and money on cheap disposable underwater cameras that can't come close to the quality the SD 780 can deliver. By the time you do that a couple of times, and get your film developed, your well on your way to buying this case and having MUCH better pictures (not to mention video) to show for it. Canon WP-DC31 Waterproof Case for SD780IS Digital Elph Camera

I really can't say enough about this case. It's the perfect way to take pictures underwater.



As a serious photographer, I always want to have my best cameras with me wherever I go. And that's fine, except that I'm also an avid kayaker. And as much as I love bringing my Canon EOS 5D Mark II and lenses with me, the waterproof camera bag I have for it is difficult to maneuver, unwieldy, and using the buttons through the PVC is nigh impossible. So the 5D2 can come with me in calm waters where I can stuff it under a towel and be reasonably sure that its safe, but in harsher conditions I needed a better option. The closest thing you can get to a case like the WP-DC31 for a full-size DSLR is the Ikelite housing, which runs a whopping $1500 plus several hundred more for the lens ports!



So here we are. I picked up an SD780 IS and this waterproof case. Why not just an underwater camera? A couple of reasons: Underwater cameras can't even come close to the image quality of a decent normal camera. Also, as of this review there is no underwater camera that supports HD video.



This case is better than I ever would have imagined. It is SOLID. High quality materials throughout, and absolutely no flex. The hinges are strong, and the seals are tight. Every single button and switch on the camera can be used through the case. The clear areas of the case are VERY clear, and you can see every detail through it. There is zero loss of detail when viewing the LCD. It's truly amazing.



The camera fits with absolute perfect precision. Once in the case, its position is absolutely fixed, and a soft piece at the rear of the case protects the camera from any jarring movements that the case might experience while under normal operating conditions. A similar soft rubbery ring surrounds the lens port on the front of the camera.



The glass that the lens looks through is a high quality coated photographic glass, which is extremely important to maintain the level of detail that the camera would be capable of outside the case.



The diffuser is a nice touch, as the case can sometimes cast a shadow in your image when using the naked flash. The diffuser corrects this, and also creates a more subtle, even light on the subject.



When it comes to video, sound can still travel through the case, but it's at an understandably lower intensity above water. In the water, on the other hand, the sound travels much better. You really have to try it!



The case comes with a wrist strap, a reflective neck strap, and a small bottle of lubricant for the seal. I haven't used the neck strap, because the wrist strap has been fine for me.



This is easily THE best accessory I have ever bought for any of my point & shoot cameras. Now, if Canon would only make them for their DSLR's at a similar price point! :-) - Housing - Housings - Digital Camera - Canon Digital Camera'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information