Wednesday 9 March 2011

Guest Bed - air bed, inflatable mattress


I've only used the bed once so far but it was quite comfortable. I was able to sleep on my side, back or tummy, just like my regular bed and the mattress stayed firm. I used my vacuum cleaner to quickly blow it up at home when I was testing it out. To use a vacuum as a pump, just take off the hose and put it on the opposite end. For camping with out an air pump, you can use your portable vacuum cleaner with an attachment for your cigarette lighter. So, for me, a comfortable bed for 20 dollars is a very good value.



Update, we used it for ten days straight, no problems. Never lost air, two of us slept well, we didn't roll or anything, perfect! Intex Classic Downy Full Airbed

My daughter has been sleeping on this in the guest room for 3 months, it must be nice and comfy because she's still here! :) Seriously, she hasn't had to reinflate it at all and says it's quite comfortable. I'm adding a mattress pad and that should make it almost as high-end as a Select Comfort! At the price it is now, you should get one!

We got these for extra guest beds (bought 2). Our girls already had a sleep over and these were big enough for 2 tweens on each mattress. Set up took a couple of minutes. As suggested in another review I didn't fill it completly as it give them a "stiff" feel. The material seems sturdy, so far it's survived a sleep over party party of 6 and an indoor camp out. We're even taking them to a family reunion next March. Great buy for the price.

The first night I tried to sleep on this air mattress, I was on the ground by the end of the night. Threw it away after trying it again. It came with a patch kit, but how the heck are you suppose to find a small leak?

I've had my airbed for a couple months now, no problems and haven't even had to 'top off' the air. Keep in mind, I bought it to go inside a mattress casing designed for a 'soft side' waterbed. After moving into a 3rd floor apt, I decided not to risk the waterbed and put the airbed inside the mattress instead. It has great support and very comfortable. I have back issues that make a conventional bed impossible to sleep on. This was an ideal alternative. As always, shipping was fast. My only complaint with the bed, is that it is NOT the same size as a full size mattress. It is about 4 inches shorter and narrower. Which means I had to use half of the foam 'frame' inside the mattress casing to make up the difference in the sizing. Had it been the same size as a conventional mattress, it would have fit perfectly in the casing. That was the only thing I was dissapointed with. It's sturdy and comfy and I made it work for me.

I bought this yesterday because my in-laws are staying with us next week. We inflated it at a leisurely pace in about 15 minutes. If you were in more of a hurry than we were I bet you could make it in 5. The foot pump is a bit of a pain, but we took turns, and it's not bad. Especially for the price. If you're not ready to invest in the higher end models, this is a solid buy. We'll see what my husband's parents think after sleeping on it for a week. :)



*Edit: my in-laws spoke positively of their experience with the airbed while visiting us, and I have since used it myself. It's very comfortable. I experienced some sweating during the night, but I feel that's to be expected given the materials. An airbed won't breathe against your skin like a regular bed. It was a good night's sleep all around.

Man I ordered online to make sure got an air matress with some chance of lasting! Well this one was blown up once and semi soft by morning. Still using because I bought it - just keep blowing up to stay firm. Oh well, hopefully will last with extra effort!

When I moved out of state to start a new job, I wanted a temporary sleeping solution. I opted for an air mattress, initially a queen sized double high mattress. I've found these air mattresses to be the most comfortable bed I've used.



I've gone through a good dozen or so air mattresses in the last few years, and used a variety of brands. Intex is definitely the best, I weigh 300+ lbs. and will consistently get 6-9 months out of an Intex airbed, compared with 2 months tops with the next best brand, coleman. Intex beds are simply better designed, the vertical cushion design has fewer weld points, and thus fewer places where holes can develop.



If you want comfort and longevity in an airbed, my advice is to go for as modest an air mattress as possible. The smaller the mattress, the less stress you'll put on it. Single high twin is perfect for me. A double high is unnecessary, unless you have mobility issues needed to be higher off the ground, otherwise a double high just means more welds, more surface area, and shorter longevity.



My only reservation is the flocked surface, it's supposed to be a luxury or something, but it makes it harder to adjust your position, and the slicker surface of a plastic surface would mean less friction, less stress, and a longer lasting mattress. Alas, it doesn't seem that Intex is making these anymore, I blame the ignorance of consumers falling for the marketing ploy of luxury, and I blame the manufacturers for manipulating the consumers and offering lower quality products. Shaaaaame, shaaaaaaaaame.



Darn it, those single level all plastic twin beds were perfect, and a lot cheaper too, bring 'em back. - Airbed - Inflatable Mattress - Camping - Air Bed'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information