Friday 11 February 2011

Thermaltake - thermaltake, frio


I'd been hitting 90C with the stock Intel cooler that came with my i7-920, and running into occasional BSODs due to heat. After installing the Frio, the CPU core temps have never exceeded 50C. That's a FORTY degree Celsius decrease in operating temperature and the box is much more stable.



The fans are quite a bit louder than the stock cooler, but being able to overclock the CPU and FSB speeds makes up for it. Just crank the speakers up a little bit and you don't even notice.



Installation was easy, but you do need access to the back of the motherboard, so I'd recommend installing this at build time instead of retrofitting later like I did. Thermaltake Frio Overclocking Universal CPU Cooler CLP0564

Crank this baby up with both fans running at 3/4 speed and it sounds like a turboprop airplane starting up it's engines.

Running at 50% there's absolutely no noise, except one can feel the heat being pumped out the back of the case. My quadcore Phenom processor was running game apps at roughly 60 - 70 degrees Celcius with the standard issue heatsink and fan.



Upgraded to the Frio and Arctic Silver paste, now I'm running at 25 degrees Celcius - crank this baby up to 100% with both fans installed and the temp doesn't exceed 16 degrees Celcius. This is major cooling wihtout going liquad!!!



Installation was an absolute breeze and the instructions were detailed and properly set out. kit comes complete with mountings for all the latest CPU's and no additional items needs to be purchased.



Great product at a great price!!!

This thing is great... I went from a stock cpu cooler 98c to this beast. Now I dont ever go past 45c Fans are very loud at full speed but they do a great job even if you have them turned down. I looked at alot of different CPU coolers before going with this one and I found that for the price and cooling power this one is definetly the right fit for an i7 build. Make sure you have room in your tower. It fit great in my Cooler Master HAF 932 Full Tower.

I built my first PC recently in a Thermaltake Level 10 GT case with an Intel Core i7 2600K, ASUS Sabertooth P67 motherboard, ASUS GTS450 graphics card, Coolermaster Silent Pro Gold 1200 power supply. It is a good thing that my case is huge, it took all of it to fit this beast of a cooler. Compared to the dinky cooler that came from Intel, this one is a giant.



But it works like a charm. Because I am not a huge power user, the fan runs really low speed all the time. My CPU never goes above 25 degrees C. I installed both fans, even though it looked like I could get away with one. The air blowing out of my case is cold!



The only thing I would caution about is to use this fan in a full sized case. Other than that go for it, the fan really does what it is supposed to do.



PS The reason I labelled this "Centerpiece of my PC" is that when you look into the case through the window or open the door, the first thing you see is the large fan!

This cooler is very effective I have an Alienware Area 51 and had no problem installing this,I had to remove the motherboard to use the hardware that came with it,they thought of everything when they included the brackets for all the different processors,you just match the hardware with your motherboard and then you are done,I only need one fan so I have one for when this one goes if you need more cooling at a good price this is worth a try I am happy with it and if you overclock you will be happier

If you're considering this item you probably already know its an effective cooler and that its large. That said, I would only consider purchasing this item if you have a full tower case - it simply would not fit into my mid-tower case. The product is 161mm tall (6.34 in) so please measure accordingly from your motherboard socket, taking your processor into account. I'd also add that I had a secondary clearance issue with my motherboard in that the my Ripjaw RAM and my Northbridge also had heatsinks that were tall enough to also pose a clearance concerns. The footprint on this is 139mmx119mm (5.47inx4.68in) so you should probably also take this into account, especially with a i5/P67 board as they typically have larger Northbridge cooling.

Good cooler. The stock AMD cooler for my QuadCore AMD Phenom II X4 Black Edition 965 would get loud and vibrate my whole case. Under loads with this cooler I no longer have these problems. My only complaint is the fans prevent me from putting a DIMM in the first slot if the memory has an extended heat sink. Other than that it's been great

PROS:

Build:

Nforce 750a sli mb

Amd BE 6400 x2 3.0 only oced to 3.4 (stable at 3.7 with max fan speed,reduced to reduce noise level) :)

Xfx nvidia 450 gpu

Full HAF 932 tower

Thermaltake 850 psu

Windows7 64b ulti

8gb corsair 1066 ram

24in Hanspree 1080p monitor

and a couple of Green 12in light bars...nice green glow in the dark



I had doubt about the performance reported by some of the review I read before buying this item, but after careful installation. I WAS BLOWN AWAAAAYYYYY! The cpu temp dropped from 42c idle to 28c idle and never goes over 37c +-2c at full load for hours of game play. Installed in a Full HAF 932 tower. PSU on top with only the preinstalled front, side, and rear fan( removed top fan). I actually looked up to see if the ceiling fan was on(it was not)cause of the cool air around the case.



CONS:

Makes me want to build another pc :) not a con but hey

Other Thoughts:

By the way...I have the cpu cooler fans set at lowest speed which in my case is around 1100rpm. Glad I bought this before I went watercooling. - Frio - Thermaltake'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Thermaltake - thermaltake, frio frio Thermaltake - thermaltake, frio