Thursday 9 December 2010

Microwave Popcorn Popper - popcorn popper, healthy eating


This gadget has really hooked us on popcorn as a snack. We had been getting wonderful microwave popcorn from Yoder Popcorn (on the Web), but it got expensive. Then I noticed that they said that the Presto popper could be used with any of their bulk popcorn -- at much lower cost. What amazed us was how much better their already outstanding popcorn tasted with the Presto! And the ability to make it with the oil of our choice (we like olive oil) or no oil at all is a great bonus. Entering "presto powercup concentrator" in Google turned up a number of sources (including Amazon) for this essential insert -- we ordered ten packs to save on shipping and are sure we will use them in a reasonable time.The size is great for us -- just about as much as a standard microwave pack per popperful. I do not see it as very feasible for more than four or maybe six people at a time, however.While the Powercups do add to the cost, it still is cheaper than the microwave packs. Using the Yoder popcorn as an example (since the same popcorn is available either in bulk or microwave packs) and assuming that one gets 3 pops per Powercup (half of what Presto says is feasible) the cost comes out about as follows:Premium white or yellow popcorn, 3.5 oz = $0.13Olive oil, 0.5 oz = 0.10Powercup = 0.08Amoritization of popper = 0.02Total = $0.33By contrast, a 3.5 oz microwave pouch of the same popcorn costs $0.65 in bulk.Actual final costs will be greater for both due to shipping charges, of course, but these do not favor one over the other.Will O'Neil



I *love* this device! I experimented with it in my particular microwave and learned that the standard load of 1/3 cup of popcorn (you can use *any* kind) cooks perfectly at 3 minutes, 12 seconds. Any less than that, and some of the kernels don't pop. Any more than that and some kernels begin to burn. The directions say you can use oil inside it, but I don't, because I want the little cardboard inserts to last a long time. I empty the popcorn into a different bowl, then I melt butter in the microwave (3 tbsp. is about right), pour it over the popcorn, add salt and stir well. You can also pour anything else you want over the popcorn, like parmesan or other dried, grated cheese, or herbs and spices. The popcorn this device produces is really, really tasty. Far better than that from microwave popcorn packets, and without the horribly unhealthy trans fats they add to them, too.

We needed to eliminate the high fat, high salt content of microwave popcorn but didn't want another counter-top appliance. The popper makes good popcorn, but you will need to find a source for the cardboard inserts (called concentrators) in your neighborhood ...

I've had my Presto popper for about 2 years now. I make a lot of popcorn with this popper. I fully admit that I am lazy. I love the fact that the bowl and cover are dishwasher safe. And you don't need that concentrator cup if your microwave is decently powered (yes, you'll end up with a few more unpopped kernels, but you won't have to wipe off the paper insert). Also, I love adding extra thin pats of butter during the last 30 seconds to get super-tasty buttered popcorn without dirtying another dish. (Again, the lazy factor.) My roommate's microwave is not powerful enough for this popper, but that microwave has issues with frozen meals and always requires additional time on things like that. But if your microwave is not a wimp you'll love this popper!

I bought this because I love popcorn and heard that this is an easy, cheap way to have it. With this popper, you have the option to use or not use oils and it makes about 10 cups of popcorn per batch. I've used this numerous times since I've bought it and have few complaints.The only downside that I can think of is that it comes with replaceable inserts that you have to use in order to use the popper. They inserts *are* reusable, but they do wear out after a few uses. So, it is NOT a one-time investment, but rather an on-going expense. This is not a huge drawback, but I do think it is something to consider. I think it's still cheaper than buying microwave popcorn, and much healthier, since you eat only what you add to the popcorn.All in all, I do not regret buying my popper. I put in 1/3 cup of kernels, 2 tablespoons of butter and the popcorn is just delicious. The kids love to use it, too.

I've had my Presto popcorn popper for a couple of years. Yes, purchasing the powercup concentrators is an inconvenience, I just order several packs and each pack contains 8 so I still have a way to go until they run out. The GOOD thing about this popcorn maker is that I can use OLIVE OIL which is a good fat and low sodium salt (Salt Sense) because I have high blood pressure and still end up with a GREAT tasting popcorn that is really healthy and actually good for me. I pop a bowlful every morning and put it in a container and take it to work and munch on it throughout the day. I even take it to the movies (yes I have to "smuggle" it in) so that I can enjoy popcorn like everyone else, but not worry about the fat or salt content. My microwave has a "POPCORN" button on it. I put the Presto corn popper in the micro, hit the "POPCORN" button and the microwave cooks it by sensor and the popcorn comes out perfect...never scorched and with only a few old maids. This is the only corn popper that truly allows me to make popcorn "MY WAY" and always yields delicious, tender popcorn. - Popcorn - Air Popper - Popcorn Popper - Healthy Eating - Popcorn Poppers - Popcorn Maker'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information