Thursday 9 December 2010

Chin Up Bar - pull up, exercise


I bought this to use with the P90X workout series, but I haven't started the workouts yet. I have been using the pull-up bar though and it does feel sturdy. I am a 175lbs male and I workout fairly regularly. Although the bar seems very stable, the grips are cheap and after the first day of usage, one of the grips tore. I am thinking of simply removing them and wrapping the ends of the bars with white athletic tape to provide a non-slip grip.



I do have a couple gripes about the "instructions" (I use that word very loosely), that came with the bar. First, the front of the box says "No need for screws, bolts or fasteners." The first thing I pull out of the box: Screws, anchors, and door brackets. There wasn't any instructions on when you would need to use these or when it would advise it to be safe to not use them. The instructions simply show you how to use the door brackets when mounting the bar. Secondly, there are 10 long screws in total, 8 which the instructions simply label as "D" and the remaining 2 which it labels as "E." The pictures in the instructions are horrendous so you can't tell the difference between D and E. After staring at the screws way too long, I finally figured out the 2 "E" screws' threading don't go all the way to the head of the screw. Phew! Next issue is that there is only a picture to tell you how to put the various segments of the bar together. I finally just looked at the picture on the box, which seems to have had its copy written by a 3rd grader who couldn't figure out which way they wanted to spell and capitalize the word chin-up, and determined the proper fitting. If the two U-shaped handles are facing you, piece #1 goes in front of the two pieces labelled #2, the #3s goes into the ends of the #2s, #5 goes on top of the joined #2/3 pieces, and the two #4 pieces go on top of the two #3 pieces.



If your door frame is made from a softer wood, I would still recommend putting something between the long bar that goes across the door opening and the frame to prevent it from making an impression (or a circular impression by the end of the U-shaped handle if that is resting on the door frame). I simply took a clean cut of the box, folded it in half, and put that between the frame and the unit. This seems to work well for me.



Overall, I think this is a great product that was just rushed into packaging to make a quick buck off the P90X craze, and if they put just a tad more effort into the instructions (how am I supposed to use this for push-ups and crunches?), then it would have given a much better first impression on its quality. I'm giving it three stars because once you get past the items you're going to throw away after the first day, it's a solid piece of equipment that I do actually like using, but they could have done a better job on the grips. Heavy Duty ProSource Easy Gym Doorway Chin-up Pull-Up Bar

I love this pull-up bar. I would have given it a 5 star, but the instructions about how to set it up in the door frame were non-existent. I had to see one like it in a store to figure out how it went into the door frame. The price was less than half what a store wanted and it is just a durable. I would love to have instructions on how to use it better it just didn't come with any.

The bar itself is well made and does exactly what I expected. I weigh over 200 lbs and it feels solid when I use it in a doorway. It comes with J brackets to make it extra secure in the door frame. The only negative is that the directions are incomprehensible. I put it together by looking at the picture on the front of the box. The picture in the directions didn't have enough contrast to tell if the part was above or below the other parts. Other than the directions, though, everything else was perfect. I've used it for a few days and there's no marks on my woodwork, nor is it feeling any less solid than when I started using it.

Great price from these guys. The chin-up bar goes together fairly easily. It comes with mounting brackets that should be screwed into your wall after drilling eight quarter inch holes and installing wall anchors. However, I put it up without them and just used the door frame to support the bar. I'm sure it's not as safe, but it stays up just fine, and if it come down, your feet are only a foot or so off the ground. I'd recommend it as a much cheaper alternative for those who don't want to spend $70 or $80 on the P90 X bar.

This is a durable and well built product, although if you are over 250-300 pounds you may not want to use any door jam supported work out device. this one was delivered in a timely basis and was perfect for what i needed.

I bought this for the p90x and it works fine, but it comes with some hook plates you screw into the wall above the door and some of the screws for that were missing. I use it without those plates and it works fine. I am occasionally nervous it's going to fall of the door frame, but so far it feels sturdy. - P90x - Pull Up - Exercise - Chin Up Bar'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information