Thursday 9 December 2010

Dir-615 - router, d-link


This is a very good router, but I had issues during setup. I have Qwest DSL and the DIR-615 wizard setup couldn't auto-configure the router to provide internet service.



Most routers use an intranet address in the range of 192.168.x.x and then devices connected to the router are assigned within that ip range. I finally manually played with the settings and still couldn't get it to work. Frustrated, I called Qwest thinking the problem was with the DNS values. That assumption was incorrect and generally Qwest DSL requires no tweaking at the router level. Qwest DSL tech support was great. They said it was a setup issue with the router and called Dlink's tech team on a Sunday morning and we had a 3-way call. Dlink's technician had me fixed up in 3 minutes.



Here's what worked for me. Under the router's 'network settings' we set the router IP address to 172.16.0.1 and the subnet mask to 255.255.0.0. If not checked, enable "DHCP Server". Under 'Wireless' set the Channel to 11 and the Mode to "Mixed" to support 802.11b,g,n. I set security to WPA-Personal. Be sure to save the configuration and this will cause the router to reboot. If things don't work immediately, unplug the modem to cold-start the system, wait a minute and finally plug in the router.



Contrary to what someone wrote in a review, this router does indeed support wireless-N devices in a mixed environement and does not downstep to G for the whole network.



Remember, you can't setup the router via wireless. You have to use an ethernet cable from your pc to port #1 on the router. Another cable runs from the router Internet port to the dsl modem.



Before calling tech support, first confirm that the modem is working. Run a cable from the pc to the modem and confirm you can browse the Internet. With the modem eliminated as an issue, the tech people can quickly help you configure the router. I'm using Vista and the setup process did not require any Windows firewall changes so keep the firewall 'On'.



I may be wrong but here's what I think the core setup problem was for me. The Qwest DSL modem uses a DHCP Default Gateway of 192.168.0.1. This is the same IP the Dlink router attempts to use as its address. Thus you end up with an IP addresss conflict since both can't use the same address. The Dlink technician changed the router address to a different subnet in 172.16.x.x and eliminated the conflict. D-Link DIR-615 Wireless N Router, 4-Port

I'm writing this review to help dispel the myths about this router. I read many bad reviews for this router after I ordered it. I got really anxious and started getting buyer's remorse, before I even had it in my hands. I received the DIR-615 today and immediately hooked it up, I transfered all the cables from my D-Link 'b' wireless router. I restarted my Time Warner Cable Modem and my Mac G4 computer. Everything worked fine. I checked the wi-fi connection to my iMac, which worked perfect, after I changed the network selection on the iMac. I then took my Titanium G4 Powermac to the second floor (the DIR-615 is setup in the basement). I got perfect reception 2 flights up. After checking all Wi-Fi functionality, I upgraded the firmware, from ver. 2.2 to 2.4 via D-Link's web site, all is well. no problems.

This is an attractive router. I found it easy to set up, it has up-to-date security features and works well (except for the 802.11N issue)



My problem with this router is that if you have any 802.11G devices in your network, then the network will run at G speeds, period (says customer support.) I have one network device that is 802.11G and non-upgradeable. I bought this router with a DLink 802.11N PCMCIA card to get my laptop running at 802.11N, however, the router will not talk N to the card in the laptop, because I have a G device on my network. Thus, while the router is now doing a fine job as an 802.11G router, I might as well throw the PCMCIA card away.



DLink's web site says of the DIR-615 router that "Not only does D-Link's Wireless N technology extend your wireless range, it also works with your existing 802.11g wireless devices." It would be nice if DLink fessed up that mixed-mode doesnt work as expected. That factoid is hidden in a FAQ on the page for the PCMCIA card. I had to call customer support to learn this. They say there are no plans to upgrade the firmware to truely support mixed mode environments.

I bought this router and, after the fact, was curious to see how it was rated on Amazon. I was surprised to see so many negative reviews on here. I don't normally write reviews, but I just wanted to clarify some points raised in other reviews on here.



First, many of these reviews, both good and bad, were written one to two years ago. The latest firmware has resolved some of the complaints I've seen on here. One complaint was that it was not possible to use the fast N connection if you simultaneously have G devices running. In other words, having one G device connected to the router forced any other N capable devices to run at G speed. While that may have been a problem in the past, the latest firmware has made it possible to have both types of devices running simultaneously at their respective speeds.



Set up was REALLY, REALLY easy. I didn't even use the Quick Install CD that came with it. I had my desktop (wired connection), two laptops, Vonage, a Wii, and a PS3 all set up to run on this router in less than 20 minutes.



I've also seen complaints that the router gets too hot. This has not been my experience with it. I've had other D-Link routers before that got really hot, but this one's fine.



It's a really good router and a killer value at $49.95. If you have a handful of devices, want to do some online gaming wirelessly, stream Netflix to your TV, surf the internet, etc. then this router is an excellent choice. - D-link - Dir-615 - Dlink - Router'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information