Thursday 11 December 2008

Sound Quality - ipod, iphone


Searched high and low but could find no direct statement that said the item worked with iPhone 4's dock. Bought it on chance and was pleasantly surprised it worked without a problem. The reason I questioned its functionality is that my other LOD I use with my 5th generation iPod does not work with the iPhone 4. I knew the pin outs changed at some point in time in the evolution of the ipod dock but couldn't recall the specifics. This get more confusing when you consider that my USA spec car stereo interface can go between my iPhone and iPod with no problems. Enough about connectivity.



The device clips in well to the iPhone's dock and is slim enough to work easily with my phone cover without interference. A small strain relief supports the cable where it exists the dock connector. I was expecting the cable to be a bit thicker since this is a step up from the Fiio L1. None the less it has good flexibility to permit connecting back to a headphone amp with a 180 degree turn. The fairly small and slim 1/8" connector has an over-molded plastic housing that seems to be slightly rubbery (high durometer TPE maybe). Not sure how well this plug will hold up over time but it should do just fine unless you plan on jogging with a headphone amp and need this sort of connector (don't think many people do that anyways). No real comments on sound, it sounds like a solid line out connection to me. I expect people that will notice the biggest differences using the LOD would be those that use high impedance or low sensitivity headphones with mild or low power portable amps fed by the headphone output of the iPhone. In this scenario you may have the volume high on the iPhone and over driving its amp (more distortion, less headroom). With the line out, you're only at the mercy of the headphone amp.



Happy with this purchase and would recommend. Just about everything on ebay competing with this ships from Asia and takes a long time to receive; not to mention higher costs. This is shipped locally in the US and from an established manufacture. FiiO L3 Line Out Dock (LOD) Cable For iPod and iPhone

Some folks have no intention, or maybe the budget to spend 100 dollars or more on an LOD. This is for those folks.

Difference in sound ? If you can hear a difference, you're probably kidding yourself. However, some expensive lod's are nearly indestructible. My personal opinion is this won't sound any different than a much more expensive one. (I own expensive ones) the difference is build. The build on this should hold up if you take care of it for many years.



My advice, let this inexpensive tool, usher you into a better sound using an external amp. The fiio E5 can be bundled with this and save you a bit of cash. Avoid the folks that bash and trash fiio products. They are not top of the line solutions, but will improve and enhance your enjoyment of the music. I own things at both ends of the spectrum. The difference in sound is no where near some would have you believe. It is different. Most people won't hear a difference on the go........be it trains, planes, busy city streets etc. I will use this on one of my Ipod Classics until the day it breaks. Sounds the very same with the same amps to my ears, be it budget amps, or 450 dollar amps. (my personal limit for a portable amp)



Ok, more thoughts on this LOD. You use the line out to bypass the headphone out of your device, in this case the ipod line.



If you can't hear a difference between the lousy headphone out of the Ipod Classic with it's sloppy bass. God bless you.

The very intention of an LOD is to get rid of the sloppy bass (in the case of the Ipod Classic, especially the latest generation) It makes a difference to my ears, if you use an amp, gamle the few bucks and see if you can hear it. If not, return, sell it, whatever floats your boat. I'll take this LOD and a 20 dollar Fiio E5 over the Headphone out of my Ipod Classics anyday.



UPDATE........I have just ordered several more of these. If you don't agree with my opinion on the sound quality being very good, I'm ok with that. After comparing it with very expensive LOD's and some darn good amps, along with ALAC and WMA lossless files, I don't hear any difference. Further, the little Fiio E5 still stands a aq solid upgrade from the headphone out combined with this LOD. If you are out and about, you won't be able to deiscern the very subtle differences.



I have a large stable of fiio E5's and this very lod. Sure at home, in a quiet environment, the subtle ifference using a headstage arrow can be heard, but only with the best cans for revealing detail. No need for ultra expensive gear, without the finest headphones. No, I would not use this combo for the Ultrasone ED 10, but the lod stays, just the amp changes.



Finally, If your willing to try something new for your lap top, lok no further the fleabay, (type in Audinst HUD-mx1 Hi-Fi USB Audio DAC



You will not find a more nuetral sounding dac/amp for anywhere near the price. (Under 200 shipped.) The very finest bang for buck unit of it;s kind IMO. It will aslo power all but the very most demanding headphones superbly.



Disclosure.......I did not mention FLAC, I don't use it, at that point, if I'm listening that critically, just use the line out of a good CD player and throw in a nice amp (too many to list) That tops any pc audio, however with so many recordings being porly mastered and compressed, It's often not great either..........Vinyl anyone? Try to listen to enjoy the music, not the gear.



Everyone that has heard this little Fiio lod, has the same question. "where can I get it" No, it's not anything that looks exceptional, but the sound is great ! This little budget lod has shocked everyone that has heard it. The only way tou'll know it's not expensive (soundwise) is the extra money in your wallet. I have now placed a fourth oreder for several at each order, all for about the same price as on overpriced lod would cost you. I don't ever want to be without spares, and of course they make great gifts for the budding discerning listener. You won't regret this purchase. - Iphone - Line Out - Audio - Ipod'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Sound Quality - ipod, iphone iphone Sound Quality - ipod, iphone