Saturday 1 October 2011

Home Recording - recording, home recording


I was looking for the pre Amp for my microphone to do do voice over video and found this USB microphone from Audio technica. So I did not have to buy the preamp . Just plug it to the USB port then you go. It was very easy to use and noise floor very quiet, it does not record the fan noise from your computer or the background noise in the recording room, very happy with the purchase. Audio-Technica AT2020 USB Condenser USB Microphone

I've had this condenser microphone for about a month now and it has suited my purposes very well. I needed something to record podcasts with and do some voiceover work as well. I do my recording with Audacity, and the microphone was imediately recognized and easily installed as my primary microphone for Audacity. It is a very sensitive mic, and I had to build a small "porta-booth" ([...])to reduce the echo in the room where I record, but was able to get good clear recording after that. I recomend using a pop filter with this microphone to help reduce "S" & "P" sybillance. All in all, a very good microphone for the price.

This here is truly one of those hidden gem type products that you just don't really get to appreciate unless you have one for yourself. This is a great investment for anyone looking to do ANY type of recording on the casual level, vocals in particular. But why buy, you might ask?



1) This mic is USB powered. This is pretty much the prime reason that this is the perfect mic for the casual/beginning level user. If you were to buy a regular condenseor mic, or even the regular version of the AT Condenser Mic, you would have to have additional equiptment to power it. For those who, like me, know very little about audio equipment, you would end up paying for far more then you originally expected to spend and most likely been all kinds of confused about how to use it. Being USB powered is truely a God-sent, because all you need to do to make it work is plug it in. Theres no program to load, no instructions to follow, and best of all no sweat to break. As soon as you plug it in, the computer acknowledges it just like any other UBS device and you go on with your buesiness. You dont even need to sit and "safely" eject the thing, just yank it out and your done. No damage done to you computer or your mic. Best of all, the UBS cord is pretty standard, so you can easily replace it if the one that comes with it gets damaged.



2) The price. A lot of professional level condenser mics are pretty expensive, like around three hundred dollars at the cheapest level. Granted, that's a somewhat random number, but again, for the casual user, that's not exactly wallet friendly. I got mine in a music store for one fifty. I wish I had looked online for one a little cheaper, but it was still a wise investment. Thus far I haven't seen another mic this good for this cheap.



3) Durability. If you have any experience with audio equipment, mics in particular, you know that you need to be gentle with it when handling. I got my mic a good year and a half ago, and it's traveled with me a lot, sometimes in less gentle conditions then I would like. Its been bumped, dropped, and even sat on, yet it still runs strong. The only fragile thing this thing has on it is the legs that prop it up.



4) Sound Quality. Ok I lied, THIS is the best reason to get this mic. I started out doing vocals with a regular stage mic and one thing I can honestly say is that the quality was absolutely terrible. It was grainy, smothered, and I had to almost whisper to make sure my levels didn't peak while recording. The purpose of a condenser mic is to pretty much rectify all that. This one does it over and over again. My recordings come out crisp and professional sounding, and thus far, no one has been able to tell that I did all the recording my my basement with nothing but the mic, my laptop, and some quite time.



So if you looking for great quality for a affordable price, look no further then

Audio Technica AT2020USB. I have yet to find something I don't like about this thing. I am a very satisfied customer, and I can almost guarantee you will be too if you decide to get one too.





Peace

I am a musician. I use a lot of acoustic-guitar in my songs as well as my own vocals. I had been using the built-in microphone on my macintosh computer for a few years...it did the job but the quality was noticeably lacking. I love top-notch quality in my music...I hate settling for less...I decided it was time to invest in a quality mic. I saw the reviews for the AT2020 and decided to go with it. Two minutes after it arrived at my door the mic was plugged into my computer and fully working.



The quality blew me away. I had to tweak a few settings in garageband (reverb, EQ) to get the clean sound I wanted but it took very little time to do. My vocals are now very clear and the acoustic guitar sounds so much more alive in my recordings.



I noticed that when my RAM is lagging there is a VERY noticeable sound delay (This is due to the fact it is not a direct line in, rather it is a USB mic that has to take up more RAM to process the sound). I fixed this problem by closing out of the other programs and/or unplugging the USB cord, waiting a few seconds, then plugging the cord back in - sound lagging problem solved.



The mic is heavier/bigger than I thought it would be. It is constructed with quality materials (I'd venture to guess that the entire exterior of the mic is made of metal). Included in the box are the USB cord, the Mic, tripod legs, booklet, and a soft travel case.



I am VERY happy with this mic. For the price you are getting an amazing deal.



5/5



Update Mid March 2011:



It has been nearly a year since purchasing this mic and so far I am still very impressed with it. Since buying this mic I updated my recording software to Logic Pro 9 and the mic still works perfectly. I have accidentally dropped the mic numerous times and it still performs the way it did the day I got it. And if ever it does break, I will not hesitate to buy another one - this mic is perfect for both vocal and instrumental recording, and for the price it is an absolute steal.



5/5 - Microphone - Podcasting - Recording - Home Recording'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information