Saturday 1 October 2011

Disappointing


I was really amazed at this product! Since the price is cheap you think its gonna be a peice of crap or something is broken on it. I read the reviews which were saying thumbs up, so i decided to give it ago if it was crap well atleast i didnt pay much for it. Honestly this is one of the best webcams I have ever owned. The price is cheap, shipping was quick, and everything works. The picture is great and not laggy. All I did was plug it in and get on my skype and it started working it was awesome. The only problem I have with it are the lights a little bright they are either extremely low or really bright. Though it's not a big thing to worry about it's fine for me. not really sure what the button on the top is for though im sure I can figure it out by looking up the manual(manual and instructions not included)I would deffinatly reccommend this webcam to anyone who is searching for a good cheap webcam. Lets just hope it lasts!!!! USB 6 LED PC Webcam Camera plus + Night Vision MSN, ICQ, AIM, Skype, Net Meeting and compatible with Win 98 / 2000 / NT / Me / XP / Vista

First off, this product's name is misleading in several ways. There are no LEDs on it, just plastic domes with a light underneath. Just 6 plastic bubbles put there to focus a light mounted under the body. It still gives off pretty good light, but it is NOT an LED webcam.

Also, I haven't found a single way to make it work night vision. Unless by "night vision" it means "can see in the night because it has lights on it"

The light has a dial on the cord, which isn't magnificent. It's either "on," or "off," with nothing in between. Bright enough to illuminate a face in a pitch black room.

It also says "10x Digital Zoom" on the lens. However, I can't find a way to make it zoom, at all, and it didn't come with instructions. It didn't even come in a box, it came in a plastic bag, inside a water-resistant, bubblewrapped paper bag. Good and protective, but not a box, like the picture suggests.

The stand has a slightly sticky material on it, but the weight of the cord easily still pulls the camera over. A blob of silly putty will hold it in place, piece of cake. The stand also unfolds for some reason unknown to me.

On the positive side, the video quality is decent for the price, the light is pretty bright, good for nighttime recording. It's also plug-n-play, and installs software to let it run after you plug it in. Doesn't come with a recording program though.

Edit: I just discovered a small feature. The silver part on top of the camera is a button. Push it, and it takes a picture. To see the pictures go to My Computer > USB Video Device. There, you see what it sees as the main box, and underneath, it shows all your snapshots. Right click a snapshot, and you can add it to "My Pictures," otherwise, it just stays under USB Video Device

This webcam is terrific for the price. There is no software to install which is a plus but it was a bit confusing figuring out how to get to work. The first time I plugged it to my laptop (windows vista), the drivers were downloaded automatically. Then nothing happened. I restarted the laptop, still nothing. I had to open Yahoo Messenger, open the webcam application, then plug in the webcam and viola! it worked. There is a nifty light-bulb behind the lens so it can capture in the dark. You can control the amount of light but that's about it. No other frills. Broadcasting speed is about 1 sec behind real time. The picture is great.

This is a basic no frills webcam that is decent for the price. No drivers need to be installed, however it did not work in Windows XP service pack 1. I updated my operating system with XP service pack 3 and the camera works fine.

I gotta say, this is an awesome webcam for about $7!! Quite honestly, if your just looking for a very basic webcam for video chat and even making youtube video's, then this webcam is defiantly worth every penny! I mean seriously, you just can't go wrong with the price. I wasn't sure what to expect when I bought this, but when it arrived in the mail and I checked it out, I was pleasantly surprised. The initial quality of this webcams video is a very decent 640X480 resolution ranging in about the 2 or so megapixel range I'd say, It really doesn't look that bad at all, I'm totally satisfied. Also during video chats or when making youtube video's there is little or no lag between the video and audio!The only draw back on this cam is there is no microphone, but I have a headset so I don't really care. I bought this webcam from the HDE sellers and their shipping was excellent! It was in my mailbox 3 days after I made my order! The price is right on this one and the product is excellent! I have a dual boot on my computer for windows xp and ubuntu 9.10 and the webcam worked instantly in windows xp right when I plugged it in! Already had pre-installed drivers in the webcam! No hassle! Just plug and play! Ubuntu on the other hand took a little more work, but after a long while of fiddling and trying to figure things out I got it to work, and it works perfectly with skype 2.1 beta and GUVCview which I use to record youtube video's. I think it would only be fair to help out my fellow ubuntu users so I'm going to add the exact set of code and command lines that will get this webcam up and running perfectly with skype and GUVCview in ubuntu 9.10 in this review!!! By the way, the exact name of this camera and its model is SiGma Micro USB Webcam ID# 1c4f:3002.



This webcam solve is for Ubuntu 9.10 users using Skype 2.1 Beta version with this webcam, the SiGma Micro USB Webcam ID# 1c4f:3002. If you don't use skype then just ignore the top half at the dotted line and only install the drivers!



First you will want to set the resolution for skype to the same resolution of the webcam. Before doing this, Shut down Skype and any other video/webcam program before doing anything. Then open a terminal. To do this, go to Applications menu -> Accessories -> Terminal.



Now enter this command in the terminal:



gedit /$HOME/.Skype/(YourUserName)/config.xml



Once the skype xml file is opened then search for this:



<TransferWindow>

<Height>240</Height>

<NoCancelConfirmation>0</NoCancelConfirmation>

<Width>480</Width>

<X>3</X>

<Y>647</Y>

</TransferWindow>



Once found, highlight and delete, and replace with this:



<Video>

<CaptureHeight>480</CaptureHeight>

<CaptureWidth>640</CaptureWidth>

</Video>



Once completed, save and exit. Now return to the terminal.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now you will need the webcam drivers so enter these commands in the terminal (one by one):



cd /tmp

wget http://linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb/archive/tip.tar.bz2

tar xvfj tip.tar.bz2

cd v4l*

make

Wait, until it is finished (it will finish with an error).



Now, enter this in the terminal:



gksudo gedit /tmp/v4l*/v4l/.config



Search for this line in the xml file:

CONFIG_DVB_FIREDTV=m



and change it to

CONFIG_DVB_FIREDTV=n



Now click on "Save", close the text editor and get back to the terminal where you enter these commands (one by one):



make

sudo make install



Now, when completed, reboot your computer and your webcam should work.



Enjoy! =]'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information