Saturday 1 October 2011

Bravia


Well, my son loaned me his 40 inch TV to take the place of my 5 year old 30 inch TV. I loved the bigger TV because it was so much easier on my aging eyes. I loved that bigger TV...for a solid 8 days, until it broke. I couldn't simply go back to my 30 incher, so I finally bit the bullet and purchased this TV. After watching it for a week or so, I am very glad I did so.



The setup was reasonably easy and quick. The TV found my network and connected with no problems. The Internet setup of this TV is somewhat different than that of the Sony Blu-ray I purchased to accompany the TV. The Blu-ray allows me to easily access Amazon's free-to-Prime customers downloads of movies and TV shows. I haven't been able to figure out how to make the TV access as easy. Of course, I don't "need" the TV access because I have access via the Blu-ray player, but in some sense it would still be nice if I could use the TV itself for access. I don't (yet) subscribe to Netflex or similar services, so unfortunately I have no comment on their ease of use. Edited to add: After the TV updated itself (very easy!) it no longer was able to connect to the Internet. My computer-expert son had to manually connect it. If I was able to subtract a halof-star so that the rating was 4.5 stars, I would do so.



The instruction book is on the skimpy side. Thankfully there is an "i-manual" on the TV itself, which is handy. Still, I guess I'd have liked more detail in the print manual, especially about issues such as setting up Internet access. On the plus side, the TV just finished up-dating its software with no glitches, so I know that my Internet access is at least semi OK.



The picture on the TV seems significantly brighter than that on the old TVs. I like this feature. A feature that takes a bit more to get used to is how the TV handles scenes with rapid (or, even in some cases, not so rapid) motion. Often the people or objects seem to "glide" across the scene. It's hard to describe but I think that once you see it, you'll understand. Presently this effect is somewhat jarring, but as I've watched more on the TV, this effect has become somewhat less disconcerting. Perhaps ultimately I'll grow accustomed to it.



The TV definitely runs much cooler than did my 5-year old 30 inch TV or, especially, the 4-year old 40 inch TV. I expect that this difference is due to the use of LCDs as the light source. Given that I live in Florida, this heat saving is hugely appreciated.



One drawback is that the package did not include any 3-D glasses. Because I doubt I'll ever watch much (or any) 3-D at home, this point does not bother me.



Amazon's delivery was first class. The TV even came a day earlier than initially promised. Of course, unless you live next door to me and get the same delivery person, your mileage may vary.



Another huge advantage has been Amazon's low-price guarantee. Merely by checking on Amazon's web page, I have (so far) saved slightly more than $250 by submitting multiple "found a lower price" link to Amazon. Perhaps if I was more ambitious and looked at still more websites, I could save even more, but checking Amazon's alone is just so easy....



EDIT: As I have gained experience with the TV, I'd subtract another half star (and be down to 4 stars) due to frustrating Internet access and even more annoying Sony help. At 12:00 noon today, the Internet access was fine. We watched a free-to-Amazon Prime customer TV show. But at 6:30, with absolutely no changes, it failed. After 30 minutes of repeatedly successfully connecting to my network and the Internet(at least according to the TV) and still being unable to access Amazon I decided to use the apparently helpful Sony help screen built into the TV. There was a nice 800 number, which I dialed...only to discover that 7:10PM Eastern time is "after hours" for Sony help and if I wanted to talk to someone, I had to call some other long-distance number. I decided I'd call tomorrow. I have my fingers crossed... Sony BRAVIA KDL46NX720 46-inch 1080p 3D LED HDTV with Built-in WiFi, Black

I did a lot of research, I thought, before purchasing this unit. I had size limitations to fit into an existing cabinet so the newer slim bezel smart tvs in the 46 inch size were the largest I could go with. Note to anyone who purchases a tv online - OPEN THE BOX WHEN THEY DELIVER! The first unit that I received showed no signs on damage on the box. I excitedly moved my old set, and unpacked the new one only to find that the screen was badly cracked. Amazon was good about sending a replacement, but dropped the ball on arranging for the shipper to pick up the damaged unit when they delivered the replacement as the promised on the phone. This resulted in me having to take more time to be at home to allow pick up of the damaged unit. Somewhat disappointed with that - I expected the CS to be better on follow through.



I was mainly comparing this and the upper level Samsungs. 3D is not overly important to me but I was intrigued and interested in the smart tv features - streaming netflix, streaming Amazon On Demand, Pandora, etc. This was the main reason I choose to go with the higher end model that had wireless and these features. Based on the idea of the unit becoming an efficient hub for those features. Unfortunately this area is where this tv looses stars for my rating. I am not a huge technophile or video junkie, but I know enough to be dangerous and wanted good quality and features. The possibility exists that I am missing something in application or set up in the features that I cannot get to work - I actually hope so, but have no idea how to find out.



First the Pros:



- the unit is clean looking, light and was very easy to assemble and put in place.

- hook up to Fios and my 5 year old Samsung DVD/receiver was easy

- the unit recognized those components and through the HDMI control command provides control of the Samsung DVD player through the remote with no setup on my part.

- The picture is great. I have played around with the settings some and have been okay with some of the preset features on picture.

- Price seemed very competitive to the upper level Samsung units when comparing features.

- TV speakers are not bad. More than adequate for average viewing.



Now the Cons:



After getting things set up I tried Pandora out. Excited at the idea of having this play through my receiver and speakers. (Again based on my idea that this tv would work as a hub for all these cool new features.) Pandora works fine, but oddly the sound switches back to the TV speakers. I play around and switch it to the external speakers. The signal from the Fios box starts playing. I turn off the Fios. Now nothing comes out of the speakers. After spending a while playing with settings and becoming frustrated, I called Sony support. Only to be told that due to the fact that the set only has one output - the optical output - and something about the format of that output, none of the internet based content will be able to be played through the external speakers. That OLDER models had an analog output that would let you do this, but NONE of the newer set have this. That if I want to have those apps play sound through my external speakers I will have to buy a receiver that will access the apps itself.



I also tried hooking up an ipod through a cradle that I bought with a USB connection. The TV recognizes that the ipod is there, but does not see any files. I assume this is a file format problem. But again it is a big disappointment.



To me this is a HUGE HUGE disappointment. This basically renders my choice to buy the higher level set BECAUSE of the these features as complete wrong. As I stated, I am not a huge video or audio perfectionist. But if I am listening to music - I want it to play through the stereo speakers - not the puny TV speakers. If I am watching a movie, I want it to at least have the option of playing through the speakers. I don't know if perhaps this is a software type thing that they can change in a firmware update, but it has me considering returning the set. With this being the case, I might as well save money on the tv as it is STILL only an output display - despite all the misleading advertising to the contrary - and use the money I save to buy a dvd/bd/receiver unit that will connect to all of the internet applications. I suspect that the picture quality would be the same or close to it.



I am curious as to whether this problem is a Sony thing or if it is true of all brands selling "smart TVs." Not knowing that answer combined with the hassle of returning will probably keep me from returning the unit. I will just suck it up and buy a receiver/dvd that does the internet stuff. But overall this has really ruined my satisfaction with my purchase and I would not really recommend buying this level of TV, as there just doesn't seem to be much point. Save the money and put it in the accessories that you will need to have all these features actually work the way anyone would expect them to work.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Bravia Bravia Bravia