Saturday 20 August 2011

Training Aids - swimming, training aids


I've been a fitness swimmer for most of my life and after taking a 15 year hiatus, at 55 I just don't have the lung power I once did. I found myself gasping for air, getting tired sooner and just not enjoying my workout as much.



I noticed some swimmers using a traditional side-mount snorkel and thought that might be a good solution, but couldn't stop thinking how the torque generated by the water pushing against the mouth piece would be uncomfortable, dangerous and painful.



I typically do a fair amount of research before purchasing new items and was surprised to learn that a front-mount snorkel had been designed for the fitness swimmer. Thank you, FINIS. You got this one right!



I just got it and was more than thrilled. It took no time at all to get used to it, although I still occasionally feel the urge to turn my head to take a breath. After realizing I don't have to anymore, I can breathe normally, deeply with no more gasping.



As a result, I can spend more time swimming, focusing on better stroke dynamics, getting a better workout and doing more laps. I paired the snorkel with Speedo Aqua Fit Training Swim Gloves and now go fairly fast with absolutely no negative torque.



My workouts are fun again.



P.S. With a proper head position, I experienced no water leaking in. Freestyle Snorkel

I purchased this snorkel several weeks ago. My first attempt in using the snorkel I did not have nose plugs. All that day, I felt like my sinus' and more had been cleared out. I could swim, but I really had to concentrate on not snorting the water. I purchased some nose plugs and wow what a difference. I could pretty much swim for hours with this thing. I do not have any trouble with being to low and getting water in it. I even do flips to turn around and do not have any issues with water getting in. Overall it is great! I can swim much longer than I could before without getting too tired. If I was to change anything, I would lengthen the mouthpiece portion by a half an inch or so.

This is a great tool to learn freestyle and other forms of swimming, it allows one to concentrate on form and technique and forget about breathing.The Finis web site has a video demonstrating this snorkel.

This product has been a real blessing for me.

Swimming is my only cardio as I cannot run due to my knee problems.



I had problems with sync-breathing. But with this product I can swim for atleast an hour.



Defintely deserves a 5star rating but for thier expensive shipping charge ($10 is half the cost of this product - its crazy)

i really like this snorkel a lot. i received it yesterday in the mail and promptly used it at the gym last night. definitely recommend a nose plug for beginners- i was ok without it but didn't try any flip turns b/c i didn't feel like i was ready. the pic made me think this would go over the side of your head but it goes right up the middle of your face and over your head. the fit is a little weird at first but you get used to it. it doesn't move around in the water at all and i did not experience any water getting into it. definitely worth the money!

We shared it today for water aerobic swimming. Comfortable and easy to use without a nose plug. The head band doesn't need to be tight to be effective. We want to get another one soon, so we can swim together. We swam a half hour longer than our usual one hour with no problem.

I tried this on first time with the elastic bands on and I did not like the feeling so I just took it out and put the tube in my mouth and tried to keep it in my mouth without the elastic band and it worked. It is not convenient when you are doing flip turns but still with this great piece I am able to swim an hr long and I don't feel tired or out of breath. Ok sometimes I will get some drops of water in my mouth since I got rid of the band that holds it stable on my head but that is fine .I am grateful they come up with a product that solves your breathing problems in water.

I returned the swimmer snorkel since the purge valve leaked immediately. Since the freestyle snorkel has no purge it has worked wonderfully. Get the one without the purge and exhale hard to blowout any water. - Swimwear - Training Aids - Swimming - Finis'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Training Aids - swimming, training aids finis Training Aids - swimming, training aids