Saturday 20 August 2011

Digital Slr - backpacking, laptop bag


Let me preface this review by saying that if you buy this backpack you arent paying extra for a famous brand name or logo, you are paying for an extremely high quality backpack capable of carrying a lot of gear and also being used solely as an internal frame hiking backpack.





I was in the market for a photo backpack around $100 which could carry most of my camera gear and have room for other stuff such as a jacket or lunch. When I came across the Wolverine BP-202 I liked that it resembled the National Geographic/Adorama Safari Style bags but was more of a traditional backpack, and also a bit larger. The construction looked solid and resembled my internal frame hiking backpack.



I purchased it from Amazon.com for $109 shipped and when the box arrived I thought it was quite large for just a backpack. When I opened the box, the bag felt as if it had some weight to it which was nice compared to the LowePro Computrekker that I was previously looking at. The straps were the first thing to catch my attention because they were nicer than my hiking pack and the waist belt was of equal comfort and quality. I then noticed that the backpack actually has two aluminium inserts in the back to maintain rigidity and protect your laptop. The hip belt and aluminium inserts can all be removed if you want more of a traditional backpack with only the two straps.



The photo compartment definitely could hold everything I listed above and have some extra room leftover without anything being cramped. The inner compartments were all customizable foam with velcro and fairly deep. The entire padded compartment (including the sidewalls) could be removed to use the backpack as just a backpack.



There is a padded divider between the top and bottom compartments that could be removable allowing for maximum use of space. Most hiking bags this size would easily run in the $100-150 price range but themselves, then consider this has the ability to also be used as a photo/laptop backpack as well and its a bargain.



There is a hidden pocket in the bottom of the pack containing a rain cover which covers the entire pack. The two side pockets are great for small items that get lost and have mesh to hold drinks. Whoever thought about this bag thought about durability because this bag is tough. I would be extremely surprised if anything were to ever get damaged in this bag. With all the room, this bag can carry a lot of gear, but the problem with that is usually the weight becomes an issue. Luckily the way this bag is made, much like a hiking backpack, the weight distribution is great once you properly fit the bag to your body. Google "fitting a backpack" to see how to properly fit this to your body.



My 15.4 HP DV6000 laptop fits but getting it past the zipper is tight. In order to get your laptop in, you have to insert the entire top (or bottom) of your laptop in at one time and then rotate the rest in (like a folding knife) rather than just sliding it in like a CD. Once its in there is extra room though it doesn't seem to slide around at all, and the padding is pretty intense.



In order to carry a tripod on this bag, there is a fold out flap/pocket that you insert your tripod legs and strap the top to the upper part of your bag. It actually works very well and supports my 7.lb Tripod easily. I use an old nylon strap to keep the top really snug to my pack because the included bungee is sort of small and thin.



Overall, I was far and away impressed by this bag because most of the stuff I was finding around the $100 price was either really small (tamrac adventure series/Nat Geographic)or low quality (lowepro Computrekker). This is a huge needle in the haystack of photo backpacks because if a different brand name were on it, the price would be a lit higher and more people might be using it. If anything happens to this bag, I would buy another one in a heartbeat.



Likes about the bag:

Build quality, internal space, excellent protection, amazing price, not typical photo backpack, very comfortable, removable dividers and protective compartment.



Dislikes about the bag:

Slightly heavier than other bags, laptop opening could be larger. Waterproof would be excellent but that's what the rain cover is for I guess. Wolverine BP202 Camera and Laptop Backpack - 10x14x20 Inches

This is a great backpack for long distance traveling. I can fit in it my 5D with a 28-105mm lens on it, all my accessories, flash, more lenses and my 15.4" MacBook Pro (this one barely goes in, anything bigger would be impossible to fit). After all the equipment is in, there is still a compartment left for a book, a light jacket and a sandwich. There are also designated slots for two water bottles and for a tripod. The amount of little pockets and compartments with zippers or without throughout the bag is countless. Technically, you can completely take out the vel cro parts on the bottom and the separator between the bottom and top compartments and use the bag as a giant hiking backpack.

Having said that (and having read the 6-feet tall guy review, which made me smile) this is a BIG backpack. I am 5'3", 110 pounds, and if this bag is full to the max it could potentially flip me over (will include a picture for reference :)), even empty this bag weighs a lot. Basically every time I look at it and think about a casual walk around town with my camera I think of how I should buy a smaller bag for everyday usage.

If you need to board planes, travel cross country or go hiking with all your equipment AND laptop, this is the perfect backpack for you. - Laptop Bag - Photography - Travel Bag - Backpacking'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information