Tuesday 17 May 2011

Midi Interface - music, cable


This is, by far, the cheapest option right now for a comparable length USB MIDI interface cable: a measly $6. For those who want a straight answer: yes, it works. For me. If yours doesn't, HDE has a great return policy.



PROS:

- Very easy setup, driver installs automatically within seconds

- Windows XP, Vista 32 and 64-bit compatible

- Very cheap, while offering an authentic USB MIDI interface



CONS:

- Cord is a little too short for me--about 5 feet

- High latency. Latency is the time it takes for input from your keyboard to reach your computer, and in my experience the latency for this interface is really high--around a quarter to three quarters of a second. This makes it very hard to play live accompaniment to background music you've created. However, if you disable MIDI playback in your sequencing program and just listen to the notes as they're played on your keyboard, you can shift all of the notes in your program after you've finished and it works just fine. It's a couple extra steps per song, or a couple dozen more dollars for a faster cord :3

- Those lights on the converter are annoying!



NOTES

- When setting up, if you are getting no sound, try switching the MIDI IN/OUT ports on your input device. On Yamaha products, "MIDI IN" goes into the keyboard's "MIDI OUT" port, etc. so you can't just match them up! USB MIDI Cable Converter PC to Music Keyboar

Quick note: make sure the 'In' plug goes into your 'Out' on your keyboard and vice-versa.

I bought this to work with a game like guitar hero, but for the piano, Synthesia. The game plays the notes on your computer screen, and then the music comes out your keyboard (best to prevent lag).

I experience practically no lag when working with Mixcraft, using the sound driver "Wave-RT" in the settings. Mixcraft is a fun music recording studio program.

Not Mac compatible, contrary to the specs from the manufacturer. The Mac generic Midi settings do see the device but there is no way to alter any of the settings and certainly no way to trigger or control any connected MIDI instrument. Also, there are no Mac MIDI drivers that work with this device available (believe me, I've tried several).

This product specifies that it's Mac compatible with OS X. Either that's outright inaccurate or the device is entirely dead. No lights will come on when it's plugged in, but the keyboard crashes when it's plugged in.



Yes, I noted which plug was supposed to go into which port. Tried this with two separate computers.

I was hoping this could replace my slightly more clunky MidiMan MidiSport (box). The latency is so bad, I am several seconds behind the tune. I am using a Yamaha WX-7 Woodwind controller, and an Edirol SD-20 Sound Module. Neither are really new, but they are venerable mature pieces of equipment.



For the lousy [...] bucks, it's not worth sending back, but this goes in the trash. It might work, but if you don't like to waste money, go up a notch and buy something you know will work.

Does not work. Tried to use this product to connect from a keyboard to my computer every which way you can imagine...also tried connecting a synthesizer to another computer, still nothing. Yet I tried using this cable to connect not one but 2 different digital horns (electronic wind instruments)--either to computer or keyboard...nothing.



The seller wins because it is not worth the hassle to pay shipping again to send it back and wait and hope. If you read this and you are still thinking of buying this item--DON'T!! I'd be happy to tell you how I was able to find an alternative way to connect my MIDI equipment to computers that require USB using OTHER CABLES...



-Neil Dusseault

neildusseault@yahoo.com

I am a newbie to Garageband and quickly realized that I needed a MIDI keyboard. I already had an old Casio from the '90's but no cables to attach to my Macbook Pro. I was close to buying the M-Audio interface that costs $40, but I didn't want to spend too much money as this is only a hobby. So I bought this cheapy thing not knowing if it would work. Well, I plugged in one of the MIDI outputs into my keyboard and stuck the USB end into the Macbook, thinking that the next step would be to hunt for and install a driver, but Garageband immediately recognized my Casio keyboard and I was able to use it right away! I was so stoked because I saved myself a lot of money.

I was looking for a USB/MIDI interface compatible with Vista 64. I had seen some more expensive interfaces advertised, but their reviews seemed pretty inconsistent. This interface cable seemed to have very consistent reviews, and for less than $7.00 (including shipping) I felt it worthy a try. I have to say it exceeded my expectations. Installation was a snap (I just plugged it in and Vista detected it). After I downloaded a tool to set my MIDI output device for Vista, I was enjoying listening to MIDI files on my keyboard via Media Player. I tried recording some simple midi sequences as well, and did not notice any issues with latency reported in some of the reviews. The notes appeared in the sequencer as soon as I played them from the keyboard. Overall I can say this is a great product to try. I received the cable within five days of ordering as well. Great experience using Amazon, as always. - Usb - Music - Cable - Midi Interface'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information